Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
M Theresho C
Roodepoort, South Africa

Avoid it!

Review of Elgro Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 May 2019
We stayed here as we didn't have other options, most places in the area were fully booked due to a week long event in the region.
The hotel is sold as vintage... it's just old period! With furniture and curtains that were probably there when they first opened...mostly carpeted so it's stuffy... except for the flat sheet and pillowcases. ..everything was brown and depressing
And not sure whether things are clean or not. I struggledto sleep the first night. I was then moved to another room on day 2 , bed linen was much better however the bathroom was something else...old and stained...dust lurking by the windows,and this is on a floor that's advertised as recently renovated.

Dinner was something else...the first night we were served expired drinks (juices and soft drinks ), unfortunately some from my team only saw the expiry dates after drinking... there was an apology eventually and the drinks replaced... the "chef" stands by the meat dishes and serves 1 portion of whatever is offered and is rude if you ask for more, for example i asked for more cottage pie as i didn't want the pork meat and fish and i was told what are others going to have ... for paying clients? Then the breakfast chef always mixes up the egg orders...and if you want scrambled eggs you'll get half a portion of the 2 eggs he would have made.

Then there was a planned water shutdown by the municipality (we were notified ) , the notice said it was for Thursday 8 am till midnight. ..there was still no water when we woke up Friday. No plan was made , no accountability for anything. We lost a day's work because we couldn't go face clients not having washed so we checked out and returned home.

The place can get really loud (fellow guests )...loud talking....banging doors and the annoying elevator at a time when you are just trying to rest and sleep.

The bed was also too short for my legs...

The front desk lady is quite cheeky and rude as well!

So honestly, if you can help it do not go to this place!
Date of stay: May 2019
      R 826
    • Vio.com
    5941.2 km from Elgro Hotel
    View more hotels in Potchefstroom
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

The lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The disaster strikes when you reach the room. The matrass and pillows needs to be replaced. The linen is clean which is a bonus. The biggest disaster is the bathroom. The basin waste outlet is so dirty you want to vomit when you brush your teeth. Trying to shower is a joke. First off all you cannot perdict which is the hot or cold water tap. Eventually luke warm spray if one can call it spray everywhere except where it is suppose too. The water pressure is pathetic. I will not recommend this hotel even if they offer you a free room.

Date of stay: October 2018
    Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

The front staff was great in booking in.but when I wanted go for supper in dinning room I was told that I should have booked before 14h00.I was send to the bar had choice bar menu.The place was a smoking zone.I tried the food.It was great.The only problem was bar ladies was very loud .I went up to my room424.There was a very loud noise coming from a geyser or tank.the whole night.The toilet was not working.I could not reported because I only find it out after midnight .Breakfast was good.I will not recommended staying there for R950.

Date of stay: May 2018
    Trip type: Travelled solo
    Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

Its a big old hotel which i suppose was one the Jewel of Potchefstroom. The rooms is comfortable enough but the whole hotel in my opinion is due for an upgrade and some modernisation. The air-conditioning must be as old the hotel itself with water leaking onto the carpets, which was not fixed when reported. There a subtle smell of mildrew throughout. With some investment in modernization this could be the Jewel of Potchefstroom once again. But for now i would not stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2016
    Reviewed 16 February 2016

There is a large lounge where they serve tea and coffee for the conference rooms but they allow people to smoke in here. If you are a non smoker you cannot use this room comfortably as the smell of smoke hits you as you walk in. They did tell me this is a designated smoking area but it does not conform to the South African legislation about smoking areas. As the management all seem to smoke I don't think they care about the law! They also leave the doors open to the adjoining restaurant! The room was clean but very basic, no hairdryer and I had to crawl on the floor to reach a plug to plug in the kettle! Very old noisy air conditioner.

Room tip: In the middle of town. Very industrial area
    Date of stay: February 2016
    • Trip type: Travelled on business
    Reviewed 28 January 2016

I have a different experience than some of these other folks. Maybe my expectations
    were lower but I found the place to be clean, the food good and the staff extremely friendly. Yes the rooms are old but I didn't have a hot water problem. I also was there for this World Powerlifting Competition and it was strange warming up in an area outside under tents but that's really not the hotels fault. I also find my room to be reasonably priced and so was the restaurant.

Date of stay: February 2015