Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ernest B
Stanger, South Africa

Not so great

Review of Elgro Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 May 2018via mobile
The front staff was great in booking in.but when I wanted go for supper in dinning room I was told that I should have booked before 14h00.I was send to the bar had choice bar menu.The place was a smoking zone.I tried the food.It was great.The only problem was bar ladies was very loud .I went up to my room424.There was a very loud noise coming from a geyser or tank.the whole night.The toilet was not working.I could not reported because I only find it out after midnight .Breakfast was good.I will not recommended staying there for R950.
Date of stay: May 2018
    • ZenHotels.com
    • Tripadvisor
    5941.2 km from Elgro Hotel
    View more hotels in Potchefstroom
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

Its a big old hotel which i suppose was one the Jewel of Potchefstroom. The rooms is comfortable enough but the whole hotel in my opinion is due for an upgrade and some modernisation. The air-conditioning must be as old the hotel itself with water leaking onto the carpets, which was not fixed when reported. There a subtle smell of mildrew throughout. With some investment in modernization this could be the Jewel of Potchefstroom once again. But for now i would not stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2016
    Trip type: Travelled on business
    Reviewed 16 February 2016

There is a large lounge where they serve tea and coffee for the conference rooms but they allow people to smoke in here. If you are a non smoker you cannot use this room comfortably as the smell of smoke hits you as you walk in. They did tell me this is a designated smoking area but it does not conform to the South African legislation about smoking areas. As the management all seem to smoke I don't think they care about the law! They also leave the doors open to the adjoining restaurant! The room was clean but very basic, no hairdryer and I had to crawl on the floor to reach a plug to plug in the kettle! Very old noisy air conditioner.

Room tip: In the middle of town. Very industrial area
    Date of stay: February 2016
    • Trip type: Travelled on business
    Reviewed 28 January 2016

I have a different experience than some of these other folks. Maybe my expectations
    were lower but I found the place to be clean, the food good and the staff extremely friendly. Yes the rooms are old but I didn't have a hot water problem. I also was there for this World Powerlifting Competition and it was strange warming up in an area outside under tents but that's really not the hotels fault. I also find my room to be reasonably priced and so was the restaurant.

Date of stay: February 2015
    • Trip type: Travelled solo
    2  Thank OldLawHog
    Reviewed 18 August 2015

One good thing was that the rooms and bathrooms were clean however, the decor was extremely outdated. No safe in the room, if there was a safe there was no key available to use and we were told this was because they got stolen (!!!). The intermittent hot water and lack of water pressure was a common occurrence. The reason given by hotel staff was that this was because everyone was probably showering at the same time - its a hotel, wouldn't you expect people to want to shower in the morning??? When the hot water did eventually work it came out all brown.

No hairdryers in the rooms and I was told that there were in every room. If you wanted one you had to borrow it from reception, they only have 3 available.

Date of stay: August 2015
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

Shocking. Hasn't been updated or worked on in decades. No hot water at first and when it did get fixed, it had no pressure so ..... no shower!
    Dingy smokey bar!

Original bookings were messed up so some group members were moved out - lucky them!

Friendly staff - I think the place relies on them