All reviews the pub sunday carvery prawn cocktail rooms were clean and tidy booked last minute quiet village late arrival parking on site pear tree dressing table two nights friendly welcome small room nice stay following morning pudding couple of nights
Reviewed 18 June 2018

I dined at The Chequers Inn with a good friend in June, 2018, and ordered drinks and food at the bar. For some reason, the bar tender could not get our order right. We had to painfully point out his errors to him, and he eventually charged us the correct price for our food. Unfortunately, after waiting 45minutes for our food, the self-same bar tender approached us and asked what our orders were. We sat in disbelief, and re-ordered our food (as he explained the order had not gone through to the kitchen).

Simultaneously, the table next to us (where four people were eating) had meals brought out for three people. The same bar tender seemed to have forgotten about his order altogether, and he ended up eating his meal alone (as his friends had finished before him, and left).

After waiting another 30minutes for our food, the bar tender who had taken our order approached our table agian and apologised prefusely for the wait. He then asked us if he could give us some more drinks to make up for the wait? We agreed, and our food arrived a few minutes later. Unfortunately, the food was not good. Our bread for our burger buns were stale, the meat was over-cooked and of a poor quality, and the rest was about the same poor standard.

When we finished our meals, the bar tender approached our table again, and said we needed to settle our bill. We were confused as we had paid for our meal when we ordered, but he suggested we ought to pay for the refills he had offered to compensate for the wait and miscommunication. He disputed our interpretation of the refills, and when we told him we'd rather discuss it with his manager, he stormed off and slammed the door behind him. We waited for his return, and he mumbled: 'It's fine. It's sorted now.' We left immediately after that, incredibly unimpressed.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Timothy F
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Good. Breakfast is superb and staff are very friendly. Room very clean and tidy.
Bad. Carpet outside the room is horrid. Rain water pouring on the stairs. Room1 bed you can feel every bed spring. Bathroom is very tired.
Overall. Not worth £100 a night

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Russ D
Reviewed 30 May 2018

In 30 years of staying in hotels throughout the world and reviewing hotels as a journalist this was a truly awful experience. The service was dismissive bordering on arrogant. The room was small and very basic, the bathroom was tiny and the hanging space almost non existent.

When I mentioned the hotel's shortcomings, the manageress was defensive and aggressive. We checked out two hours after checking in. The only response when we checked out was being told we wouldn't get our money back.

Room Tip: My understanding is that all the rooms are similar
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
itravelroundabit, Owner at The Chequers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Oh dear.
I’ll just paste my email response to your complaint here.

Dear Mr. Williams.
I was shocked to receive this email yesterday mainly because we did not receive the previous email that you sent. I held off responding yesterday as I wanted to search all of my email folders to see if it had gone into SPAM or been deleted in error but I can’t find any trace I’m afraid.
We do respond to all guest emails – praise or complaint, as we understand the importance of acknowledgement.
Having read through your email, I see that, in the main your observations were personal opinions.
I have owned the Chequers for 6 years now and the inn runs at healthy occupancy rates both with new guests and repeat visitors.
I will answer your criticisms on a point by point basis:-

I booked into your hotel on Friday 27 April 2018, with my daughter for a two night stay. Having stayed in hotels all over the world for the past thirty years, whilst on assignments. I was firstly rather astonished to be asked for my credit card, apparently I was told, required In case I damaged something in the room! A quite new experience.

Our terms of business are clearly displayed on our website which is where you made your reservation. They are also reiterated on the confirmation email you were sent immediately after booking at 8pm on 22nd March 2018 under the heading BOOKING TERMS. I have copied and pasted these below. Taking a card swipe is common practice for service providers across the globe now, I’m astonished to hear that it’s a ‘quite new experience’ to you.

BOOKING TERMS
Unless the room is on a fully pre paid basis, we take full payment for accommodation on arrival.
ALL GUESTS will be required to lodge a valid credit or debit card on arrival, regardless of intended method of payment. This is to secure any additional costs or charges such as bar/restaurant bills and any damages, losses or thefts that may be incurred.

Please take time to understand our cancellation policy which is strictly applied in all circumstances, including adverse weather conditions.
We advise you to take out suitable personal travel insurance to cover you for any cancellation charges incurred.

These terms and conditions apply to all bookings unless agreed in writing by a director of the business
After a rather longer than is reasonable checking in process, we made our way up to the room, as you know you reach the staircase through a door in the bar and the first thing you see in front of you is a battered and damaged door that doesn't look like it has been painted in many years.

I will check with Tina on Wednesday, after her days off, if there was any delay in check in and the reason, if so. I agree that the door could do with painting and that will be done.

The room was small the bathroom tiny and the hanging space almost non existent. When I suggested to the manageress that the room was unsatisfactory, I was told that I had a built in wardrobe at least six hangers and a fan in the room. That's all very well but of course a roughly eighteen inch wide hanging space for two people who are going to a wedding is grossly inadequate. And fan well yes very useful on a freezing cold day.

The size of room 2 or the facilities within it have never been questioned by guests in the past. Generally speaking, our guests stay for 1 to 3 nights as a functional place. We don’t generally attract long term holiday makers and therefore, I believe that the hanging facilities along with a large chest of drawers is more than adequate. As I say, this is the first complaint I have had about the provision of hanging space being inadequate.
The bathroom accommodates a full sized bath, a toilet and a hand basin perfectly well!!
In addition to the fan, we also provide each room with a fan heater for those colder days.
Also with my experience of hotels I have yet come come across a hotel such as yours where if you want breakfast on a Saturday morning it must be ordered by 9.15, perhaps during the week but that really is unheard of at a weekend. Ultimately I did something that I have never done in thirty years of staying in hotels; I checked out and found an alternative, not luxury, I wasn't looking for luxury just somewhere that was of a reasonable standard.

You make reference to our ‘hotel’. We are not a hotel, we are an inn, definition from Google -
Inn. ɪn/noun a pub, typically one in the country, in some cases providing accommodation.
So, to clarify, the definition here accurately describes what we are. We are a village pub providing accommodation. I honestly believe that our accommodation is of a very high standard and reasonably priced against other local establishments.
Our check out time is 10am. Breakfast service finishes at 9.30am to tie in with check out time.
Our breakfast service times are clearly displayed on our website which is where you made your reservation.

I assure you that, had Ireceived the original email I would have sent this response much sooner.

Please could you forward this on to your the Sunday newspaper and the travel magazine in the interest of a balanced viewpoint?

Best Regards

Proprietor

Reviewed 30 April 2018

There's plenty of great options in terms of where to stay in this neck of the woods but having stayed in the Chequers a couple of times now it's a great option at a very reasonable price.

I've written a separate review of the restaurant but the food is excellent and the breakfast also doesn't disappoint.

The pub and rooms adhere to a traditional homely style, are comfortable and relaxing. If I'm permitted to have one whinge it would be that space is at a bit of a premium in the bathrooms but it isn't a major issue.

The location is also excellent just off the A40 but just about far enough away from it to ensure you feel like your well into the sticks.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Arriving home from a trip abroad we decided to eat out to end the holiday. Daughter suggested we try a local pub not visited before and we settled on The Chequers. We were thrilled. Welcoming and lovely interior. Great choice of food and the Beef and Stilton pie with its rich sauce was delicious. All meals were a success and the puddings met our high expectations! Will be visiting again very soon.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family