“Pub Grub”
Review of The Highlander Pub

The Highlander Pub
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Port Alfred
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Description: An Iconic pub which has been the meeting place for family and friends in the Eastern Cape since 1979. Full bar service and including, cocktails and shooters.Three Craft beers on tap, one of which is specially made for the Highlander Pub.Full a la Carte Menu with vegetarian and kiddies items.Several TV screens for the sports fans. Famous for it's " See you at The Highlander" invitation.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We eat at the pub regularly. The food is good, the drinks are cold and the staff are friendly. You will love this if you enjoy a traditional pub atmosphere - in summer there is lovely seating outside.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Susan:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.

I have passed your comments on to the Highlander team, who appreciated them a great deal.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are limited restaurants in Port Alfred that serve decent food and this used to be one of them. Unfortunately the standards here are steadily going downhill while their prices are going steeply uphill! To pay R200.00 in a pub for a poor, tasteless and tough T Bone steak is rediculous! I now drive to Kenton for a restaurant that is cheaper and has far superior prepared food. Maybe management should do the same and also spend more time looking at their food standards instead of wasting time giving technical comments to dissatisfied client on their advertised"Line Fish" / Barbel etc. - which is disgusting.

1  Thank Glenn0K

Dear Glenn:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.

Please accept my apologies for the poor standards you were exposed to.

I note that there is no mention in your review of speaking to a staff member during your meal , who could have replaced the dish, or offered an alternative.

Royal St Andrews Hote

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Good atmosphere and we were looked after by friendly and efficient staff. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to our expectations. My son and I had burgers which were tough and had a slightly unusual flavour. My wife had a 'rump' peppered steak - ground pepper brilliant, but the meat was tough (...and this is South Africa famed for the quality of its beef?), my sister-in-law's mashed potatoes were tasteless, although the meat was tender, and a friend with us had no complaints about her pulled pork dish. Overall a disappointing experience.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear Michael:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.

Please accept my apologies for the poor standards you were exposed to.

I have started following up with the Team members concerned to ensure that the standards we expect are maintained at all times.

I see no mention in the review of any comments to the manager or waitron during your visit , which is a pity as we could have rectified the situation immediately.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

In September I posted the service was going backwards well service was fine but .......

I ordered a Sea and Surf this is clearly a saltwater meal BUT I was served Asian dam fish unacceptable.

In September I posted about the usage of catfish (barbel) as a Line/sea fish. This is the scrap fish of Asia retailing between 40-60 rand a kilo dirt cheap for dirty wAter fish.

My concern was ignored now I order a sea platter and get dam fresh water fish unacceptable

I’m sure many client don’t know what you are feeding them. Ocean basket tried this and recalled the fish as its terrible.

??????

Dear Jong 656:

According to Wikipedia Pangasius ( also known as Basa) is a catfish.

Wikipedia shows barbel to be a member of the carp family, which would mean that catfish and barbel are not of the same family.

Wikipedia also mentions that Pangasius/Basa is commercially farmed , due to its huge popularity in the US.

The Ocean Basket menu includes Basa as one of their fish choices.

As Pangasius /Basa is commercially farmed, the use of this fish (especially when dealing with high volumes) is sustainable and responsible.

We will indicate more clearly on our menu in future which fish is used in each dish , and will extend the use of commercially farmed fish such as Pangasius , Trout and Tilapia.

I do hope to meet you at some point , in order to discuss this directly.

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

This had to be the best meal in Port Alfred. Located on site of our hotel at royal st Andrew ‘s hotel it was a 2 min stroll accross the courtyard. The service was excellent and the waitrons were very attentive and friendly . Great service. the location and setting ideal especially with the great weather on Saturday evening. The food was fantastic. I had a calamari starter and a arrabiatta pasta. Both dishes were perfect. My husband had chicken wings and fish and chips and he said it was great. We highly recommend highlander to anyone

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Lindy: