“Great place”
Review of The Highlander Pub

The Highlander Pub
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Port Alfred
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Description: An Iconic pub which has been the meeting place for family and friends in the Eastern Cape since 1979. Full bar service and including, cocktails and shooters.Three Craft beers on tap, one of which is specially made for the Highlander Pub.Full a la Carte Menu with vegetarian and kiddies items.Several TV screens for the sports fans. Famous for it's " See you at The Highlander" invitation.
Reviewed 7 November 2017

We had lunch there on Sunday. Very pleasantly surprised. The steak was tender and cooked to our request. Service was also very attentive. Really nice.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Durbella:

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Lovely restaurant and food with great service. A must for anyone who wants to enjoy a great lunch while watching sport.

Dear Shorne:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.
I have passed your comments on to the Highlander team, who appreciated them a great deal.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

Various plates, good price. good service.
Original place besides the golf.

Come back with pleasure and will do soon.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear JP:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.

Please keep your promise , and return soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

I am amazed by the arrogance of management to not address a customer's disappointment. Port Alfred may be a small place with a limited number of establishments, but I don't believe that it is any excuse for poor customer service.

When placing our order, I asked the waiter about the size of the starter portion of squid and was advised that there would be about six small pieces, so I opted to order the double-up main portion, which was probably quadrupled up (or the waiter was misinformed about the starter size). So I requested a take-away and asked if she could ask the chef if they would be so kind as to give me just a little bit of aioli as it was the best part of the dish. She returned with the box and a small dollop of mayo had been dumped on top of the food.

When the bill arrived, I was surprised to see I there was an unexpected charge of an additional R20 for the little dollop of aioli, which wasn't even in a container. When I raised it with the waitress, she wasn't prepared to do anything about it. So I raised it with the manager. He immediately got defensive and irritated and told me he was not empowered to do anything about it and that only the chef could, who he made out to be a very difficult person. He then turned around and blamed the waiter, telling me she should have told me there would be an additional charge. Yes, she should have. And because she didn't, management should have done something to sort out the matter, if she wasn't able to.

In the greater scheme of things, a teaspoon of aioli or R20 is not much. But the principle is.

I choose not to support establishments who refuse to address customers concerns, where the chef creates fear for other employees and where management throw their employees under the bus.

I have been to the Highlander and Thistle Restaurant on numerous occasions and am very disappointed by my most recent experience. I was hoping that management would satisfactorily resolve the matter. They didn't. So it's quite simple. I will vote with my wallet and rather frequent other establishments in Port Alfred.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Haidee:

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to the Highlander Pub.

Please accept my apologies for the way your issue was dealt with by the waitron and manager. I will follow up with them, to ensure that issues such as this are dealt with more professionally.

Aioli is listed on our menu as a sauce , with a listed price of R20.00. The quantity served is a standard 30ml. I am not aware of any restaurants that do not charge an additional amount for sauces.

I hope we see you in the Highlander Pub again.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Came here a few times to try different dishes. The starters and burgers are all very enjoyable, but the quesadilla rises above them all.

The atmosphere is also great and service is average.

RoyalStaGM1, General Manager at The Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear Tedexter: