Mpekweni Beach Resort
MyPond Hotel(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$59
Graham Hotel(Grahamstown)(Great Value!)
US$117
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsputt puttlive entertainmentfor sunday lunchbuffet stylekids entertainmentbeach roomgreat familypool areaconference venuedefinitely worth a visitteam buildingrelaxing weekendbeautiful settingan upgradethe rivercomfortable roomswonderful place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2016

What a glorious few days in this gem of a resort! We were greeted by warm, welcoming staff who personally took us down to our beach facing room. The fresh white linen, a comfortable king sized bed and a door that opens onto the beach impressed from the start. Our first sunset was spent sipping ice cold wine while relaxing on the swing chairs facing the lagoon. Dinner was a fresh feast of peri-peri prawns among many other delicacies, an ample carvery and awesome selection of vegetables and salads. Head Chef Paul is a charming, knowledgeable host who went to great lengths to find out about us and what we liked to eat. He also discovered my husband' s passion for fishing and organised for bait to be available for him the next day - together with a guide to the best fishing spots.
Our afternoon cruise up the river was yet another opportunity to meet a charming member of the management team - Leerie. Although we were the only people opting to cruise that day, he was more than happy to oblige.
We have spent time in many resorts and hotels around the world and we were struck by the very obvious "team" approach at Mpekweni. All the staff speak of the owner and CEO in glowing terms. Mpekeweni is a fine example of how an understanding of the importance of good service and a quality product filters from the top down
For us, visting Mpekweni felt a bit like discovering a pearl in an oyster!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
colinwd, Owner at Mpekweni Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2016

Dear lynnchild2015
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you had a great time and I will be sure to forward your compliments on to all those who made your stay a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mpekweni soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2016 via mobile

Where do I start?
Location has to be seen to be believed- stunning beach, immaculate garden/pool/lounger area.
Beautiful hotel/beach chalets
....and we only came for lunch!
Carvery it said - well it's not like any carvery I've ever had in the UK or Ireland- 3 courses of the widest range of fresh food you will ever see & the quality was superb.
A complimentary glass of wine was included.
There was even a musician on hand to keep us all entertained.
4 adults, 3 courses (you could return as often as you liked), 1 bottle of wine, 2 beers of the highest quality food - only R750 (€45)
If I could give it 10 stars I would

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
colinwd, Owner at Mpekweni Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Dear X11SWT
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm unashamedly flattered and I will be sure to pass on the compliments to all my staff. Hope to meet you in the foreseeable future.

Reviewed 4 February 2016

On the 1st evening of my arrival at this resort, I made a request to Chef Viwe to prepare me meals that accommodate my particular diet. He obliged with aplomb! on my last evening, he outdid himself when he prepared me the most well presented and scrumptious meal I've ever had at this resort. I take my hat off to this young man. The personal care he took to take care of a patron's needs deserves recognition. Much appreciated. Your future looks bright. God Bless! Sizwe M.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
colinwd, Owner at Mpekweni Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2016

Dear Sizwe M
It is encouraging to hear of Viwe's service, particularly so as he started out in the scullery. I will be sure to pass on your compliments on to him.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

Everything about this picturesque resort runs like clockwork ... the service from Reception desk through the dinning hall spills over to your manicured gardens and pristine pool and continues all he way to maintenance... its just slick and everyone wears a genuine smile. The evening entertainment lifted my spirits as we sat in the dining room eating our delicious dinner the singer sang and the audience harmonised ... its a place where everyone is treated the same ... its a place where our rainbow nation radiates its beautiful colours . You set a wonderful example of how it all can work .. Thank you to you all .

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
colinwd, Owner at Mpekweni Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2016

Dear Debbie J

Thanks for sharing your experience with fellow TripAdvisors. We're equally pleased that you had a pleasant experience at the Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the foreseeable future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Given the value of the Rand against all other currencies, one is certainly tempted to stay home instead of going abroad. Mpekweni Beach Resort is certainly one's answer to Mauritius.
40 kilometres from Port Alfred, this resort is easily accessible by road from either East London or Port Elizabeth.
Upon arrival one is instantly impressed by the ambience of the place and the sweet odour of the milkwood trees. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff certainly makes one feel at home instantly.
Spending 5 days with my daughter, her husband and our grandchildren was certainly what we had hoped for. Great pool area, lovely beach area and a tremendous lagoon certainly contributed a great holiday.
There is certainly no shortage of entertainment for both adults and kids. Table tennis, squash, snooker and of course the Play Station 4 kept the kids busy. An 18 hole putt putt course, canoeing and facilities for some fishing were certainly a bonus.
The rates which included breakfast and dinner are very comparable with other similar facilities. The rooms are very neatly kept and serviced regularly.
In summary then, whilst the value of the rand is so bad, this resort will be my "Mauritius" for now. Great value for money!

Room Tip: depends on your taste
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Ismail J
colinwd, Owner at Mpekweni Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Dear Ismail J
Thanks for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.
We're equally pleased that you and your family had a fantastic time.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Mpekweni in the foreseeable future.
Kind regards