“A perfect anniversary”

Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Port Alfred
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our anniversary was a dream thanks to Oceana's stuff. The views are to die for. the service is excellent. The food was delicious, the rooms had everything we needed. the massage was so good and the game drive was pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi mmaditebza

Thanks very for the kind words and celebrating your anniversary with us. I hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Oceana is by far, the BEST that SA has to offer! SUPERB service, amazing views in abundance, absolute privacy, flavourful wholesome meals (in generous portions), most luxurious ocean suites! Relaxation beyond measure. We were well taken care off by all staff, and anything you need is attended to with priority. Fantastic game drives with a sea breeze! Fun beach luncheon. The beach is very private and secluded tho, so it is not as easily accessible as guests might want it to be, but if you do get down to the shore, its worth the walk. Truly Heaven on earth, can't wait to be back!!!!

Hi chettyal

Thanks very much for the kind words. It was a pleasure looking after you and hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our last stop in South Africa along the garden route and although all our hotels had been brilliant, the best undoubtedly was this amazing place. I think I remember their slogan is "where heaven and earth meets the sea" and this is completely true. I have never stayed in such a beautiful place in the whole of my life. The rooms are sensational with huge balconies overlooking what I would describe as paradise. The Indian Ocean, pristine white sand and to top it all a lush reserve with non predator animals roaming freely, all this was our view for the two days we were there. Incredible! They also have a private beach where you can be transported by complimentary shuttle to enjoy your G & T in such wonderful surroundings. There were no other people for miles around and there was just the two of us lapped up in luxury just perfection. we enjoyed two game drives with our expert ranger "B" who had a wonderful sense of humour and tried even to teach us corzu. To say this stay was brilliant is an understatement. You could even have a bubble bath with choice of perfume run for you complete with rose petals, champagne, truffle chocolates and candles to be totally indulgent. It was truly and amazing stay that I will remember and cherish for a long time. My thanks to the man who had the idea to create such a heavenly place and the forethought to allow guests to see his dream come true. Thanks to all staff and will definitely come back again to this marvellous hotel.

Stayed: January 2018

Hi patmarina

Thanks very much for the kind words and review. We aim to wow every guest who stays with us and hope we get to welcome you back in the future again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So why have I not given 5 stars? - I’ll cover that at the end, but if I could give 4.5, I would.

This is a superb location with the Ocean Suites offering complete seclusion and privacy. The suites are huge, with very large deck areas that provide stunning views of beach and range combined. You can close the suite door and forget the world outside it.
Food is served in the main lodge building a short walk away and is to a very high standard indeed. We were there 5 nights and it also varied enough not to become predictable - thank you Peter!
A trip to the beach is ‘a must’ - it is one of the most stunning natural beach locations I have every experienced and you have to walk down over the dunes to the water to fully understand. It is quite simply breathtaking and a photographer’s dream (I’m no photographer though). Even the drive down and back is not to be missed. The resort kindly organised a lovely picnic for us down at the beach view deck area.
The wildlife drives are enjoyable, but you should not expect it to compare with the big reserves. We knew this, and were therefore not disappointed. B did a great job though!

So my only tiny niggle - although most of the staff were really friendly and helpful, it’s clear they get bored from time to time and they are not as sharply turned out as most resorts of this level. They just weren’t that communicative and seemed slightly reluctant to engage with guests. There seemed to be a slight lack of ‘senior presence’ (in our opinion only). All that said, it would not stop us returning at all!

The only other thing to be aware of is that there isn’t a huge amount in the area to do if the weather isn’t great.

Willjoh, UK

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willjoh

HI Willjoh

Thanks very much for the kind words and the constructive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

The privacy, quiet spaciousness of the large, airy suites, superb cuisine, understated luxury all contribute to a relaxed visit. We enjoyed the spa, well equipped gym and the pool during a one night breakaway.

Room Tip: the ocean suites have fantastic views