Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
Dockside Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$79
Mansfield Reserve(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$55
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Panorama Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$61
Hotels.com
Sheilan House(Port Alfred)
US$79
US$77
A Villa de Mer(Port Alfred)
US$76
The Lookout Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$61
Priceline
MyPond Hotel(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$47
Coral Guest Cottages(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$126
All reviewsocean suitegame drivesheaven on earthjacuzzi bathprivate deckbucket listfour poster bedgame reserveout of this worldour honeymoonindian oceanspa treatmentsgames roompure luxuryattention to detailstunning viewsbest of both worlds
Reviewed 26 January 2018

This was our last stop in South Africa along the garden route and although all our hotels had been brilliant, the best undoubtedly was this amazing place. I think I remember their slogan is "where heaven and earth meets the sea" and this is completely true. I have never stayed in such a beautiful place in the whole of my life. The rooms are sensational with huge balconies overlooking what I would describe as paradise. The Indian Ocean, pristine white sand and to top it all a lush reserve with non predator animals roaming freely, all this was our view for the two days we were there. Incredible! They also have a private beach where you can be transported by complimentary shuttle to enjoy your G & T in such wonderful surroundings. There were no other people for miles around and there was just the two of us lapped up in luxury just perfection. we enjoyed two game drives with our expert ranger "B" who had a wonderful sense of humour and tried even to teach us corzu. To say this stay was brilliant is an understatement. You could even have a bubble bath with choice of perfume run for you complete with rose petals, champagne, truffle chocolates and candles to be totally indulgent. It was truly and amazing stay that I will remember and cherish for a long time. My thanks to the man who had the idea to create such a heavenly place and the forethought to allow guests to see his dream come true. Thanks to all staff and will definitely come back again to this marvellous hotel.

Stayed: January 2018
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Hi patmarina

Thanks very much for the kind words and review. We aim to wow every guest who stays with us and hope we get to welcome you back in the future again.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

So why have I not given 5 stars? - I’ll cover that at the end, but if I could give 4.5, I would.

This is a superb location with the Ocean Suites offering complete seclusion and privacy. The suites are huge, with very large deck areas that provide stunning views of beach and range combined. You can close the suite door and forget the world outside it.
Food is served in the main lodge building a short walk away and is to a very high standard indeed. We were there 5 nights and it also varied enough not to become predictable - thank you Peter!
A trip to the beach is ‘a must’ - it is one of the most stunning natural beach locations I have every experienced and you have to walk down over the dunes to the water to fully understand. It is quite simply breathtaking and a photographer’s dream (I’m no photographer though). Even the drive down and back is not to be missed. The resort kindly organised a lovely picnic for us down at the beach view deck area.
The wildlife drives are enjoyable, but you should not expect it to compare with the big reserves. We knew this, and were therefore not disappointed. B did a great job though!

So my only tiny niggle - although most of the staff were really friendly and helpful, it’s clear they get bored from time to time and they are not as sharply turned out as most resorts of this level. They just weren’t that communicative and seemed slightly reluctant to engage with guests. There seemed to be a slight lack of ‘senior presence’ (in our opinion only). All that said, it would not stop us returning at all!

The only other thing to be aware of is that there isn’t a huge amount in the area to do if the weather isn’t great.

Willjoh, UK

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willjoh

HI Willjoh

Thanks very much for the kind words and the constructive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

The privacy, quiet spaciousness of the large, airy suites, superb cuisine, understated luxury all contribute to a relaxed visit. We enjoyed the spa, well equipped gym and the pool during a one night breakaway.

Room Tip: the ocean suites have fantastic views
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

HI Charlotte

Thanks very much the kind words, its greatly appreciated. I'm extremely glad you enjoyed your stay. Lets hope that next time you get to stay for more than one night.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We came here for relaxation after a lovely bust Christmas week with family in Cape Town and we had certainly chosen the right place to kick back and do nothing! Oceana really look after their guests from the minute you arrive until the minute you leave. Its a beautiful place in a jaw droppingly beautiful setting. The food is great - make sure you have a picnic brought to you at the beach - you won't be dissapointed. The game drives were fun - we were lucky enough to be the only people on both our drives so lots of individual attention for our many questions. We say Rhino, Giraffes, lots of antelope and some great birds too. I would not hesitate to recommend here for a few days of total relaxation.

Room Tip: We had Room 2 - Nyala - which was lovely
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm really glad you managed to put your feet up and relax, thats what we're all about. I hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Me and my family went to Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve and the disappointment was just HUGE. The woman in charge was very unprofessional and rude towards her guests. Further on, the villa we rented on the hotel had both rats AND cockroaches inside it- which the hotel did not take any responsibilities for.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Helena G
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Hi Helena

Thanks for your review. I've taken a look at your comments and had a chat with my management team about them.

You stayed with us for three nights. On the final night at Dinner you complained that there was an issue with the house. You showed us a picture of a small rodent which turned out to be a bushy tailed field mouse, something which is prevalent in our Wildlife Reserve. You also commented on small droppings in the house which we explained are made by the gecko's which are natural to the area.

As soon as you mentioned this to us, we immediately sent housekeepers in to wipe down all the surfaces and put mouse traps in the rooms. You still weren't happy with this so we moved you into a vacant room for the evening and you departed the following morning.

Unfortunately being in a Wildlife Reserve and a thatched product means that mice and geckos are something we have to deal with and that they are not something within our control. We have a very active pest control company who has rat traps throughout the property but these unfortunately do not trap mice. With regards cockroaches we have inspected the Private House this morning and can find no sign of them. This is as expected as we use a product called Goliath Gel each month which is applied by our pest control company. Cockroaches also weren’t mentioned to us when you complained.

It's unfortunate that you only mentioned these issues to us on the final evening of your three night stay as if they were an issue earlier we would have dealt with it immediately. I personally went into the house on the evening in question and helped get the room we moved you into ready and feel we took full responsibility for trying to rectify your problem. Overnight the mouse traps that we put out worked and we caught the small mouse that was in the house.

We have extremely high levels of hygiene and cleanliness at Oceana. This is monitored by management as well as our outsourced pest control company. The house you were in has been almost fully booked for the last month without complaint.

All that said you obviously didn’t enjoy your stay with us and for this I am truly sorry. Unfortunately these issues are mostly out of our control as we are in the middle of a coastal game reserve. I do think my team handled the situation as best as possible and we did everything we could have done to rectify it considering the timeframe and circumstances.

Chris Roberts