Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
The Lookout Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$54
Royal Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$71
Sheilan House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$58
Panorama Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$56
Orbitz.com
Mansfield Reserve(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$51
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Dockside Guest House(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$56
Travelocity
MyPond Hotel(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$42
Hotels.com
Coral Guest Cottages(Port Alfred)(Great Value!)
US$48
Priceline
US$49
The Beach House(Port Alfred)
US$178
All reviewsgame drivesocean suiteheaven on earthprivate beachprivate housejacuzzi bathgame reservebest of both worldsfour poster bedindian oceanout of this worldour honeymoononce in a lifetimespa treatmentsgames roompure luxuryattention to detail
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

So why have I not given 5 stars? - I’ll cover that at the end, but if I could give 4.5, I would.

This is a superb location with the Ocean Suites offering complete seclusion and privacy. The suites are huge, with very large deck areas that provide stunning views of beach and range combined. You can close the suite door and forget the world outside it.
Food is served in the main lodge building a short walk away and is to a very high standard indeed. We were there 5 nights and it also varied enough not to become predictable - thank you Peter!
A trip to the beach is ‘a must’ - it is one of the most stunning natural beach locations I have every experienced and you have to walk down over the dunes to the water to fully understand. It is quite simply breathtaking and a photographer’s dream (I’m no photographer though). Even the drive down and back is not to be missed. The resort kindly organised a lovely picnic for us down at the beach view deck area.
The wildlife drives are enjoyable, but you should not expect it to compare with the big reserves. We knew this, and were therefore not disappointed. B did a great job though!

So my only tiny niggle - although most of the staff were really friendly and helpful, it’s clear they get bored from time to time and they are not as sharply turned out as most resorts of this level. They just weren’t that communicative and seemed slightly reluctant to engage with guests. There seemed to be a slight lack of ‘senior presence’ (in our opinion only). All that said, it would not stop us returning at all!

The only other thing to be aware of is that there isn’t a huge amount in the area to do if the weather isn’t great.

Willjoh, UK

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willjoh
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

HI Willjoh

Thanks very much for the kind words and the constructive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

The privacy, quiet spaciousness of the large, airy suites, superb cuisine, understated luxury all contribute to a relaxed visit. We enjoyed the spa, well equipped gym and the pool during a one night breakaway.

Room Tip: the ocean suites have fantastic views
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

HI Charlotte

Thanks very much the kind words, its greatly appreciated. I'm extremely glad you enjoyed your stay. Lets hope that next time you get to stay for more than one night.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We came here for relaxation after a lovely bust Christmas week with family in Cape Town and we had certainly chosen the right place to kick back and do nothing! Oceana really look after their guests from the minute you arrive until the minute you leave. Its a beautiful place in a jaw droppingly beautiful setting. The food is great - make sure you have a picnic brought to you at the beach - you won't be dissapointed. The game drives were fun - we were lucky enough to be the only people on both our drives so lots of individual attention for our many questions. We say Rhino, Giraffes, lots of antelope and some great birds too. I would not hesitate to recommend here for a few days of total relaxation.

Room Tip: We had Room 2 - Nyala - which was lovely
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm really glad you managed to put your feet up and relax, thats what we're all about. I hope we get to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Me and my family went to Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve and the disappointment was just HUGE. The woman in charge was very unprofessional and rude towards her guests. Further on, the villa we rented on the hotel had both rats AND cockroaches inside it- which the hotel did not take any responsibilities for.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Helena G
Chris R, General Manager at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Hi Helena

Thanks for your review. I've taken a look at your comments and had a chat with my management team about them.

You stayed with us for three nights. On the final night at Dinner you complained that there was an issue with the house. You showed us a picture of a small rodent which turned out to be a bushy tailed field mouse, something which is prevalent in our Wildlife Reserve. You also commented on small droppings in the house which we explained are made by the gecko's which are natural to the area.

As soon as you mentioned this to us, we immediately sent housekeepers in to wipe down all the surfaces and put mouse traps in the rooms. You still weren't happy with this so we moved you into a vacant room for the evening and you departed the following morning.

Unfortunately being in a Wildlife Reserve and a thatched product means that mice and geckos are something we have to deal with and that they are not something within our control. We have a very active pest control company who has rat traps throughout the property but these unfortunately do not trap mice. With regards cockroaches we have inspected the Private House this morning and can find no sign of them. This is as expected as we use a product called Goliath Gel each month which is applied by our pest control company. Cockroaches also weren’t mentioned to us when you complained.

It's unfortunate that you only mentioned these issues to us on the final evening of your three night stay as if they were an issue earlier we would have dealt with it immediately. I personally went into the house on the evening in question and helped get the room we moved you into ready and feel we took full responsibility for trying to rectify your problem. Overnight the mouse traps that we put out worked and we caught the small mouse that was in the house.

We have extremely high levels of hygiene and cleanliness at Oceana. This is monitored by management as well as our outsourced pest control company. The house you were in has been almost fully booked for the last month without complaint.

All that said you obviously didn’t enjoy your stay with us and for this I am truly sorry. Unfortunately these issues are mostly out of our control as we are in the middle of a coastal game reserve. I do think my team handled the situation as best as possible and we did everything we could have done to rectify it considering the timeframe and circumstances.

Chris Roberts

Reviewed 3 January 2018

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent service, delicious food and great game drives.
The Ocean Suites are stunning, with a magnificent view over part of the reserve, the beach and the sea. We also enjoyed the games room (shuffleboard and pool).
There are no predators (or elephants) on the reserve, so the animals are not in fear for their lives and can be viewed easily.

Room Tip: Ocean Suites are great.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hi shargs

Thanks very much the kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed some well deserved family time with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.