“Good starters, disappointing mains”
Review of Sofia Restaurant

Sofia Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 114 Restaurants in Monteverde
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

We visited during a quiet time so the restaurant lacked atmosphere and the decor is a bit strange but we wanted to try the food after reading good things. On arrival there was a friendly welcome and we were given menus and offered drinks promptly. We were given a small appetizer from the chef. For starters we selected yukka fritters and sweet potato croquettes which were served with a nice tangy dip, we both enjoyed them. For my main I had the tenderloin which I asked for medium but it came medium rare and was quite raw/bloody in the middle. This was disappointing. My husband's shrimp and mango curry tasted of curry powder and the shrimp didn't have flavour. What a shame. Maybe it was an off day or we chose badly, but overall we hoped for better and couldn't face dessert.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

Ate dinner here based on a recommendation. Ginger mint mojito and sweet potatoe soup were good but our mains - sea bass and pork with figs were disappointing. Atmosphere was lacking and service mediocre.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

A bit of a far walk from the hotel we stayed at, but very very good. Service would be 4/5 stars because the server took a bit too long to get to us about our check even though it was late and we were the only people in the restaurant. He seemed to have other things to do but was very nice and attentive otherwise. The food was absolutely wonderful. My dad got black bean soup, which was delicious and beautifully presented. I got the orange soup (sweet potato, carrot, ginger maybe?) and it was really really good. Overall a pleasant evening.

Thank veksler44 .
Reviewed 13 February 2018

A prawn starter in a clear juice, and chicken in a sweet guava sauce, maybe I chose poorly, but food not to my taste.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

We ate here with our tour leader and it is very near the hotel we are staying at. The food was delicious and the portion sizes more reasonable than the huge portions we have been eating lately. The service was excellent and the restaurant had a nice ambience.