All reviews sea view eggs cooked to order lamb shank steak night lovely old hotel original features sunday lunch self service an evening meal relaxing break three nights bar area buffet breakfast feel very welcome friendly welcome the cliff tea and coffee
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I got a group on deal- 3 nights with breakfast and an evening meal each night. The hotel is very basic but is clean. The room again-basic but clean. The hotel could definitely do with a little refurb and a coat of fresh paint. For the money we spent, we were happy with the hotel. The food was your basic pub food, but was nice. My boyfriend had the lamb shank and was really impressed. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. All staff were very friendly and helpful. If it’s a cheap break you’re looking for, then this hotel will be perfect for you.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank netsy1985
Reviewed 14 April 2018

We didn't stay here, just came in for a meal. I understand the place has changed hands recently. Ordered steak, with potatoes and veg; partner ordered chicken with chips and veg. Both came with chip shop chips (chip shop next door);could have bought those at the chip shop for a fraction of the price. 40 min wait for them as well. Steak was OK to be fair as was the chicken. Came to desserts, we ordered one each only to be told that both choices were off the menu. Didn't bother after that. Paying the bill; we were charged for the dessert we had wanted but which had not been available! Soon pointed out to them though and they rectified it. Maybe just need time to find their feet under the new owners?

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2018

Visited here for the Sunday Carvery - so nice to find somewhere serving a carvery into the evening. Very pleasant, friendly and helpful staff who were attentive without being overpowering. Good selection of meats, potatoes, veg on offer, pies too as well as the full standard menu. We were seated in the restaurant, which had it not have been such a dull, grey day would have provided lovely views of the sea. Ordered drinks were served to our table also. The carvery server (chef?) was also chatty and you can have more than one meat if you choose and are free to go back up for second helpings. Really enjoyed the food and the portions were generous. We also had desserts, really good to see these offered at a realistic price, I find it so annoying when other places (and there are far to many of them) charge £5- £6 for a brought in dessert. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely return. My only gripe is that they charge £2 for a half of diet coke which was dearer than the beer.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed Fri to sun.
We were all very much looking forward to sharing our very first holiday with our dog.
I have mixed feelings about our trip away.
The staff are so so friendly witch makes complaining all that bit harder they couldn't do more to help.
But it seemed the hotel having been taken over in Feb they are not ready !
Our booking was for one family room and in arrival we were shown to two room ..... admittedly they shared one entrance so it was like having a whole flat to ourselves but I was always on edge having my children sleeping across the hall from me (age 11 and under)
The rooms were a good size but the cleanliness was not. For the value of £150 a night I expected a little more than sewer drain smelling corridors and dust as thick as I've ever seen and carpets you would not walk bare footed on.
No fault to the hotel but our dog became extremely sick and if it wasn't for that we would have left on the Saturday but she needed veterinary treatment (the beaches apparently have been making alot of dogs sick which there are warnings up but we didn't see.)
The Saturday morning the front doors were locked and I had to find someone from delivery bay to let us in.
I read fresh pastries but they were bagged pastries.
In all the kindness of the staff made up for the downfall and disrepair of the hotel but I begrudge paying £300 for two nights in what resembled a bed sit.
We had a wonderful time spent as a family and will just put this down to experience that cost me half a months wages

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Joanna C
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I can only echo the reviews regarding the cleanliness of the rooms and the “tired” decor. This coupled with paper notices (signed by The Management!) blu-taked up everywhere gives the impression of an hotel that has lost its way. It is in severe need of love and attention.

As documented by others uncleaned bathroom fans, soap dishes at 45 degrees, poor standard of cleaning in the shower, absolutely no way of getting a comfortable temperature in the shower due to the cold water and hot being at vastly differing pressures (tip a £2 flow restrictor in the cold would help this!) a threshold strip held down by deteriorating duct tape, toilet only secured by the soil and cold feed pipes (lawsuit waiting to happen), cobwebs, obvious signs of damp in the walk-in wardrobe and a broken drain in the shower are just a few of the issues in room 22.

The corridor outside is not lit, the staircase down to the floor below is not lit - how this establishment gets through its Annual Health and Safety and Fire Risk Assessments is a mystery to me, and before anyone questions my authority to make such a statement its what I do for a living!

Whoever decided that a chocolate brown background floral carpet would be a good idea in the common areas with poor lighting on the staircases needs a rethink. As stated elsewhere lighting in the common areas, corridors and staircase, is an issue. This really needs to be addressed.

I was staggered to learn that the standard B&B rate for the “superior” room we stayed in was £132.50!!!! Along with many other guests we did not pay this rate but even the discounted offer rate would have been too much.

The only saving grace from our time here was the staff trying, in difficult circumstances, to handle everything. How the owner/manager feels it is acceptable not to be on site when there are two functions and an exhibition on a Saturday is puzzling. However there must be a reason.

I have no doubt that the manager/owner will have their say - I await their comments with interest. Sadly I won’t be able to respond to their comments which, if previous posts are anything to go by, will be filled with spite and vitriol!

Room tip: Go elsewhere!
Date of stay: March 2018