“Amazing”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We went last Saturday and had one of the best meals I’ve had in years. Absolute compliments to the Chef. Between us we had the lamb and fillet steak and both just melted in your mouth. The staff were also great, very friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back soon.

2  Thank Laura M

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Never a bad evening here. No better evening than sitting outside in the sun with a couple of bottles of Rose and a superb platter. Good eclectic crowd.

2  Thank david8red
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Service excellent.Food served hot and extremely tasty. Thoroughly enjoyable
Event .Well done to the staff and thankful for your help .with our not so able members

3  Thank wendydelisle
Reviewed 8 June 2018

Have been to the Gatsby on many occasions and it never disappoints. The food has been amazing every time I have been, the service impeccable and great drinks too. Always a nice treat when the piano man is playing also.

2  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Visited last night with a friend for drinks outside as it was a pleasant evening. First thing I noticed was the private function taking place inside. Outside was about 5 tables maybe 3 of which were diners. The inexperienced staff ( all aged in their early twenties it appeared) seemed to be rushing back & forwards oblivious to their other customers & I was ignored for a good 10 minutes at the bar... I subsequently enquired to see if the place was open to the public & if table service was available - it wasn’t due to the aforementioned function - “sorry we’re to busy with the dinner inside” camethe reply.

Now then just to pre-empt the usual empty insincere management apology followed by how terribly busy they were, combined with how nobody else complained etc etc I would explain I have, since the age of 18, worked in pubs, clubs, restaurants, hotels as barman, mixologist, waiter & manager.... I’ve owned a busy bar restaurant in Brixton & a large 600 immersive events venue under London Bridge & can with reasonable justification say I know how to manage staff even at the busiest times; it’s like riding a bike you never forget!

My friend had set up a tab & I returned to the bar to order some bar snacks. After another 10mins or so I was asked by the young barman if I was being served to which I enquired whether the two gentlemen to my right were being served - needless to say they weren’t. After this I handed over the bar tab card which then produced a flurry of confusion as soon as I began to order the food....” oh er no sorry Sir no um..... this is for the cinema menu(???!) let me change the tab number (40 to 41)”

Bafflement. Anyway ordered food, very nice fries, nachos & chicken satay, returning once to the bar for a red wine. I mention the above as after paying the full bill to the waiter who did come to the table with the card machine my friend left her card behind. Upon returning this morning to collect her card was charged £49 which included daiquiris etc, which I suspect was due to the change of tab. Boring story I know but really not a good way to manage what is meant to be professionally run establishment.

I would definitely train the staff better, who were perfectly pleasant & polite but all they need do when busy is a quick “I’ll be with you in a minute Sir/Madam” which usually buys you another 5 mins. I would also say unlike a busy London most of the clientele will be from the local area so more important to keep them happy. Obviously I could see there was an event taking place ( for a local hospice) and I wasn’t really that fussed about lack of table service but with the card business this morning something just snapped.

Have now discovered they have charged for a whole range of drinks we didn’t have!!!

3  Thank JonniePolyester