Thanda Tau
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewspetrol stationmicro brewerygift shopmy husbandlion cubsan oasissandwichwild animalsfree stateawesome placewine cellaren routethese guysthe ownerart galleryvalue for moneyfirst class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What a beautiful new stop over, when we went inside to the bakery to find the most lovely fresh bread curios shop, biltong den, coffee bar and gorgeous looking drinks, I wanted to buy some items, but then found there was nowhere to pay for them, the bread guy send me to the coffee counter, who send me to the biltong counter and there was no one there, I had to put down my lovely items and leave, very very unfortunate that no one could assist me! Also there were only 3 ladies toilets and had to wait for almost 15 minutes in the busy easter traffic.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Escaping the city we decided to stop at Thanda Tau for a bite at their The Lions Share Restaurant. The place was quiet when we entered especially for a peak weekend so I was a little apprehensive.

We were pleasantly surprised to say the least. I had the burger with Camembert and Bacon and it was good. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his Thanda Tau pasta, he said the sauce was amazing. And my daughters calamari was excellent - this really was a true surprise.

There are fun jungle gyms for the kids to play out all their energy. Also a fueling station helps to make a fantastic all round stop and without the hustle and bustle of other station stops which is pleasant.

The shop stocks exceptional droewors.

My only complaint would really be that our beers weren’t really chilled enough. On a hot day it is delightful to be able to enjoy an ice cold beer.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

What an awesome place to stop and stretch your legs on the way to or from Gauteng and drink a first class latte. Petrol station and ample parking. Beautiful coffee shop, gift shop and wild life conservancy.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2018

On returning from vacation, we decided to make a special stop at this rest stop that offered lion and other animal viewing. We met some people who were either owner/manager and they said we could walk through to view the animals. On entering the shops/restaurant, the staff rudely addressed us and said we are not allowed. They then insisted we buy something, so we just left.

For a place that is in the hospitality industry, they offered no hospitality at all.

The place itself looked lovely and probably has much to offer, but we will never go there again due to their disrespectful, impolite and rude staff.

Room Tip: Rather don't go until management sorts out their staff
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Thanda_Tau, Manager at Thanda Tau, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Hi Aslam, thank you very much for your review. Please know that this is most certainly not our usual level of service and that we were going through severe staffing problems during our busy season. We truly hope to see you again, so we can show you the excellent service and beauty that Thanda Tau has to offer.

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

Stopped over on our journey back from Clarens...This stopover, garage, brewery, lionpark is a gem on the side of the highway....You have to stop here to see the way this bare landscape was transformed into an awesome stop....And there are lion to see!!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your excellent review! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful Thanda Tau and hope to see you again soon.