“RECOMMEND!”

Hartley's Undersea Walk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Shallow water helmet diving tours were first started, world wide, by Bronson Hartley in 1947. His youngest son, Greg follows in the original fish whisperer's foot steps, by conducting undersea walks departing from Dockyard in Bermuda.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

"wet suits"
"top deck"
"took pictures"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this unique"
"video"
in 12 reviews
"reef"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Oh my goodness what an experience this is. I can swim though am not very confident and my biggest problem is that I just cannot stand water over my face and head. During visits to the Caribbean we have thought about doing this sort of thing but I have never had the confidence. We were in Bermuda with NCL Escape and spotted Greg’s poster when having a walk around. Hubby and I had a chat about it and I just made the decision that it was now or never and I am so glad I did. We had a lovely ride out to the dive site and Greg regaled us with lots of information during the trip. Once there Greg divided us into 2 groups of 6. We were in the second group so it was fascinating watching the first group go down and we then sat on top deck and chatted for the 40 or so minutes they were diving. Then it was our turn! These helmets weigh a ton - my husband couldn’t even pick one up so I was wondering how it would feel. Well I got onto the ladder and took steps down until my shoulders were at water level and all of a sudden the helmet was on my head and I was going down again until I felt Greg’s hand on my foot guiding me to the sea bed. The depth of the water here is only about 10 feet so not too scary. Once down we all held onto the plastic piping whilst Greg showed us the different fish and coral. I must have had the daftest expression on my face as I was totally bamboozled by what I was doing and what I was seeing. I did keep my glasses on but Greg reached under my helmet and popped them on top of my head when he was doing the video. Everyone said about popping your ears and I was a bit worried about this as my ears do cause me problems but strangely they never even popped. I felt such a sense of personal achievement doing this as it was well outside my comfort zone and after spending last year under cancer treatment this gave me a new lease in life. All I can say is DO IT.

1  Thank Janet P
Greg H, Owner at Hartley's Undersea Walk, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Thanks Janet for the prose to go with the 5 star rating of the review. Our helmet diving experience is such a subjective event. You create your reality by your interpretation of events and your appreciation of your experience. I venture to say that your appreciation of your dive is related to your new found appreciation of life (....'after spending last year under cancer treatment,.....)
Thanks so much for your review and your appreciation of our tour and life.
Thanks...Greg

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Best thing you will do hands down on vacation. We did it the past Wednesday June 13th in the morning and it set the bar for the rest of our vacation, which we failed to top in the 3 days we were there. Thank you Captain Hartley and son for helping us make awesome memories and having so much fun.

We sailed in with celebrity summit on Wednesday June 13th last week and it litterally is just a brief 3 minute walk to the boat. It’s located directly next to The weird pirate boat bar thingy.

On arrival Captain Hartley Welcomed is aboard along with his son Ben I beleive . From there on out it was a blast. The ride out was beautiful, and the briefing touched on everything. History of the helmets and dives , types of fish , life lessons about this and that, throw in a bunch of humor and it was great. It most definitely set me at ease because I will admit I was nervous about do it. I’m not a small person rather large, currently getting smaller, and Captain Greg was very informative and made us all feel like a good friend of his.

We had 10 people on board 2 families of 4 including mine, plus a couple. The first group to go down was a family with 2 young kids around 10. They both decided to come right back up after going down and said it wasn’t for them. The captain and his son tried to get them back down but they didn’t go for it. After the captain went back down the rest of us including The captains son Ben we able to calm the boys down and one of them decided to go down eventually and loved it.

When it was our turn I had a weight belt put on. I left my glasses on and Got in the water and the helmet went on and down I went.

Once on the bottom I will admit I had a minute or 2 that I was very nervous but after realizing I could still breath and I could pop my ears I was fine. The clean air flowed in perfectly and has no issues.

The captain came down and started his tour. We walked around the reefs and he pointed out the different fish and things. It was so cool to be able to hold the fish and play with them. And having tons of fish swimming over under behind between your legs and slamming into your helmet made it completely worth it.

Don’t hesitate JUST DO IT !!!!!!

Daniel, thanks for the 5 star review.That was a memorable day. We had good chemistry between all the atoms and protons on the boat that day, not to mention the electrons underwater (the fish). Folks do get a kick out my throwing food in front of their window for Leroy to go after. Now we wish to inspire people to find us on their own. After all we do have a web site. I am not sure if I am allowed to promote it on this platform. Seek and you will find.
The fish whisperer ...Greg