“Lovely pub!”
Review of The Ashton

Reserve with OpenTable
The Ashton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Relaxed dining either in our restaurant or our lounge area. Classic pub food to something a little more out of the ordinary. All cooked fresh and served with a smile.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Bit concerned after reading the reviews but it was just wonderful, I can also assume there are a lot of people that like to moan! Lovely staff, food and atmosphere. We will come again :)

General Manager A, Manager at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Lara,

We're glad to see that you were willing to take a chance, and are extremely happy that you had such an enjoyable experience. We strive to ensure that every guest receives the 5* experience that they deserve, and we look forward to giving that to you again on your next visit! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback about your visit, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visited Saturday night, food was excellent and the restaurant is really nicely done. The service was quick and food brought out in good time and very good quality. Would absolutely recommend.

General Manager A, Manager at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

We are so happy to read such a great review about The Ashton! It was a pleasure to host you, and we are greatly looking forward to having you dine with us again!

Thank you so much again for your feedback! We hope you have a great day!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Had a table for 6 reserved from 2pm today to celebrate two birthdays. We had an unexpected guest join us (12 years of age) taking our party up to 7. On arrival we explained the additional children and after a few minutes of a member of staff scratching and looking blankly at a laptop, decided that an additional child could not fit on our designated table and that we’d have to wait between 1-2 hours before a table became available. On looking around there was plenty of room for us to perch but no alternatives offered, very surprised with the disappointing level of customer service but as there’s so much choice in Bristol, we just went elsewhere. We shan’t be returning.

General Manager A, Manager at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Hi Lee,

We're sorry to hear that you found your recent experience at The Ashton to be a disappointing one. Unfortunately, when you arrived with an extra party member, our restaurant was completely full apart from the table that had been reserved for your party. Had we known in advance, we would have tried our hardest to rearrange our table plan so that we could have accommodated the extra adult in your group - however the table you were originally allocated is unable to seat 7. Because of this, our team were only able to offer you a table in our bar/lounge area - which you declined.
Should you wish to visit again, please do get in touch via enquiry@theashtonbristol.co.uk, we would love to give you an opportunity to sample our menu and to experience our amazing team.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I can honestly say this was the worst restaurant i being in and i should know what a bad restaurant is i being a restaurant manager for 30 years of my life, we arrived at the place for Sunday lunch we didn’t book so we got told that the only seats available was in a bar area which we didn’t mind sat at the table and we had to ask the waitress to clean the table as it was full of glasses from my previous people which she did but never clean the table wiped down or anything which already wasn’t very satisfactory. We got given a menu and we were advised that there was a 40 minute wait for the food which was fine, Have a look at the wine list and the menu I was very surprised that you didn’t have waiter service we are going order at the bar as the prices want very cheap, so we all ordered and I went for fish and chips which on the menu stated he was line caught cod,My son ordered the ribeye steak and my daughter-in-law a burger and my grandchildren two children’s meal, when my fish yand chips came the chips were burnt and the fish was soaked in oil rather than be nice crispy batter that what said on the menu, so I called the waitress over and asked her that the food wasn’t happy with the meal so I sent it back , some three minutes later my food arrived again which I thought a little odd as before and it took 40 minutes to cook it and this time only three minutes so I obviously thought it was the same fish with a few extra chips on it but with the same standard burnt chips and soggy fish my son I’ve been eating the steak and by then we realised The 25% of the steak was all gristle when you paying over £21 pounds it’s not really good enough, so by then I was really upset so I went to the bar and asked for the manager and I told them ware about I was setting which was opposite the bar and the waitress had been serving us after a few minutes I Saw them wandering outside looking for me so on my way back I tapped at the window and the Manager asked me what was the problem so I explain to me the situation including my son steak that was also rubbery and for a 21days matured steak this is not so good enough at the end of this I asked the manager what do you had to do was any good so that I could have a lunch and he’s answer to me was doesn’t matter about we give you you will not be happy with it so will give your money back no apology not maybe try thi I asked the manager what the other day was any good so that I could have a lunch and he’s answer to me was doesn’t matter we give you you will not be happy with it so will give your money back no apology not maybe try something from the carvery all because of the inconvenience I’ve got a course all of these maybe some things complementary so it would have been such a dreadful experience he seemed like he could care less, like I said I worked in some of the top restaurant around the country and that was Appalling food appalling service premium prices and please stay away from there I’ve never been anywhere is bad is this in my life

General Manager A, Manager at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Mr Massaro,
Thank you very much for this feedback from your recent visit to The Ashton, and it is unfortunate to hear that you had a disappointing trip. At The Ashton, we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of service alongside an exceptional menu, and we apologise if your experience left you disappointed. Due to the busy nature of the business, we seated you in the lounge area straight after a table was vacated but unfortunately had not been cleared – this should not have happened so we apologise, and we will use your comments when refreshing team training. At the same time as this happened, you should have had explained to you when you sat how things work in our lounge area, as we currently only offer full table service in the restaurant – although we do have a team member always on hand to take drinks orders from those guests who seat themselves in the lounge, and many of our guests do prefer this less formal option. It seems however that this didn’t happen, and may have contributed to the confusion.
It is also a great shame that you didn’t enjoy your meal, however we do not accept your claim that your cod and chips was burnt. Our twice cooked chunky chips, are by virtue of their name cooked twice which can indeed give them a slightly darker colour than normal French fries and due to the cod being battered and then deep fried, some oil can remain on the surface of the fish – however our cod is always rested before plating to ensure that this is kept to an absolute minimum. Your confusion over the wait times for your food can easily be explained as well, as you know commercial kitchens work several tickets at once but certain items take longer to cook than others and your order is not necessarily started as soon as it is placed. Items such as the ribeye steak, or the slider burgers, take longer to cook than the cod & chips and with an 80 cover restaurant, 60 cover bar and full garden our usual wait times on food were slightly increased but this should all have been explained to you upon ordering. This is why your meals came slightly later than usual, albeit before 40 minutes had elapsed. This differed slightly when our manager replaced your cod & chips for you, as he was able to take a cod from a different ticket that was already almost finished and give that to you in order to reduce your wait time without a meal. While we fully accept that it is your right to be dissatisfied with a dish – our team have a right to work without fear of suffering abuse from guests. It was at this point that our manager decided that the best action to follow was to offer a refund for your cod, which you accepted. With regards to your sons steak, our manager would have been more than happy to speak to you about this had the steak in question not already been eaten by the time the issue was raised – as someone who has an obviously great level of experience in the restaurant trade you can understand that if a meal is eaten without complaint, there is very little we can do if there is suddenly an issue raised at the end of the meal.
As we said before, we do apologise for the fact that you found your visit to The Ashton to be so disappointing as this is something we don’t want any of our guests to experience. Should you wish to revisit, we would be happy to offer you a complimentary bottle of wine to accompany your meal. If this is agreeable to you, please do get in touch at enquiry@theashtonbristol.co.uk to book.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely walk around Ashton court and booked into The Ashton for a Sunday roast. Sat down at 2:30 and didn’t get our roasts until almost 4pm after having to ask twice where our food was. When the roasts arrived they were cold. The cauliflower cheese sides were well over cooked and hadn’t come into any contact with cheese so were sent back. The chicken came without bread sauce and the pork without apple sauce. Had to ask for the horse radish twice; but luckily we persisted as this was the best part of the dish. We then decided to have pudding as I’d had my eye on the Golden Chocolate orange Bomb since 9am when I saw the menu. We waited over 30 minutes to arrive, again, not impressed. The puddings were actually delicious so I’ll give them that, however the bomb was in no way golden, or chocolate orange, in fact, it was decorated with raspberry crumbles, totally not as described and had I known there was no chocolate orange, I would have chosen another dish.
From the multiple complaints, we were given a discount and not charged for the cauliflower ‘cheese’ we didn’t eat, but I definitely won’t be coming again to eat.

General Manager A, Manager at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi Jennifer,

We're sorry to hear that your most recent experience at The Ashton was so disappointing for you. Unfortunately this last Sunday was a very busy one for us, with a full restaurant/lounge and garden, and this has obviously impacted the speed of service - but it should have been explained to you when your arrived and for this we apologise sincerely.
With regards to the other issues with your food, we will be using your comments to refresh the training of our kitchen team to ensure that guests are 100% satisfied, as well as to make certain that our front of house team are communicating to our guests when some items on are menu are served differently due to stock issues - as was the case with your chocolate bomb, where the shell was chocolate orange but the kitchen had run out of the chocolate popping candy.

If you have any further feedback that you wish to leave, we'd love to hear from you at enquiry@theashtonbristol.co.uk so that we can ensure 5* service for all of our valued guests.