“Another negative review!!!!”

The Railway Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Restaurants in West Wickham
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

On purchasing 3rd round of drinks- without requesting receipt of card pyt.The barman followed me back to my seat and said my payment hadn't gone through I informed him that it said transaction approved @£10.40 he said it hadn't.I went back to the Bar with him. He said the pyt was for £12.40.His colleague said there was no pyt slip for £12.40. I said because it was £10.40 that I was charged. I paid again as I didn't want to cause an argument. As suspected when I arrived home I checked my online a/c and the pyt @10.40 left my a/c @19:36 that they said i had not paid for, followed by another pyt @ 12.54 @19:36 that they insisted I pay for. I tried phoning the railway all day Sunday but gave up and sent an email with full details. I did receive a voice mail today to say the pyt would be refunded to my account and sorry for the inconvenience but no actual apology. There would be no point trying to call back as the line,like on Sunday would just constantly ring out.I felt embarassed being escorted back to the Bar through no fault of my own and only for I'm a calm person the situation could have escalated. Perhaps your Staff need to be trained better not only on checking transcations but on getting the totals charged correctly.I am very dissapointed in my treatment in the Railway and will advise others to be very careful to ensure they request a receipt for every purchase they make in this pub.

General Manager A, Manager at The Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Hi there Caroline, I'd like to write to express my disappointment on reading your feedback and offer my sincere apologies for how the situation resolved itself.
We usually pride ourselves on being a friendly and effective team but on reading this it's a shame to see this wasn't the case on your latest visit. Though I am pleased to hear the issue will be rectified I can appreciate it ahouldnt have happened in the first place and was handled poorly.
I can assure you in light of this; I will run through the correct way to deal with issues similar to yours with my team, as to assure this doesn't happen again.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything else I cab do for you.
Regards,

-Joe

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Came with a party of ten, including extended family for a get together. Was booked in a week in advance. Upon arrival, staff seemed short; one bartender and one waitress. They were both brilliant despite the pressure they were under. Red flags should of been picked up on as soon as we arrived and put a tab behind the bar, customers were overheard complaining about food taking over an hour to be delivered to tables. Our party ended up waiting over two hours for food; some in which had to be sent back due to over-cooking of steaks etc. Half of the party had to leave due to prior commitments, which resulted in us having to cancel part of the order. We demanded to see the manager, whom was clearly reluctant to come down. after us being told he would. Half an hour later he showed up, said very little in relation to our terrible experience, no explanation as to why the food was taking so long and the lack of management. We were also told this manager would not come down because he was watching the Saturday football. It cost £105 (for partial food and drinks), when Ember Inns could of had £300+. We tipped the brilliant staff each when leaving as they were fantastic. The Railway used to be a brilliant pub, but is 100% in need of new and much better management.

General Manager A, Manager at The Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

We are disappointed to learn of your experience here at The Railway Hotel, West Wickham, but will take this opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

I have driven past this pub several times as thought it looked like a decent pub from the outside. So I decided to visit on a Sunday for a roast dinner. I arrived around 4pm and expected it to be busy but it was very quiet. I went to order the roast beef roast dinner but was told they had run out. They also said they had no veg from the menu only green beans and peas.
How can you run out of veg and beef at 4pm on a Sunday? The pub was extremely quiet. Now I know why! Whilst I was at the bar I saw several other people wanting the roast beef but being told the same thing.
This pub also lacks atmosphere and looks a bit drab inside. Such a shame when it’s in a great location and a decent sized pub.

General Manager A, Manager at The Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Hi Anthony B, we regret to hear that you are displeased with your recent experience with us. we will look into the issues raised.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Can I just say I have never known a chain pub make up it's own opening hours like the Railway seems to these days. As I only live around the corner I thought as I had friends visiting we'd pop to the pub Boxing Day evening... to find it closed!!! The we tried again New Years Even around 10.30pm to again find it closed!!! Surely these are 2 of the busiest days over the Christmas period, so how on earth can Ember Inns afford to close the doors???? I have been told this afternoon they apparantely made so much money in the day Boxing Day they decided not to bother opening Boxing Day yet both days we visited they has advertised that they would be open, NYE until 1am, what a joke that was!!!! Ember Inns head office to get staff in that actually want to work normal pub hours.

General Manager A, Manager at The Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Thanks for the feedback, we have emailed you privately

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Its not a real pub . Part of a chain of cheap eats.

Cheap n cheerful if that's want you want then its perfect , portions good and an extensive menu. Ok beer but a lousy choice of wine.

If you are looking for something a tad more enjoyable then there is a lot to offer very close by from rags to riches in price.

1  Thank James O
General Manager A, Manager at The Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Thank you for the review.