“Ppang Paradise”
Review of Iseongdang

Iseongdang
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in Gunsan
Reviewed 19 February 2018

From Gunsan Yeog (train station), the very kind tourist info lady ushered us to the bus stop outside the station - exit main door, turn left and walk until you see the bus stop. Buses 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 will take you close to this bakery - best is to inform the driver of your destination and he'll holler your cue. About a 40min ride, we arrived at the bakery. Also listed as Lee Sung Dang in romanised form, it looked old school with the words "Patisserie Boulangerie" at the shopfront. Stepping in, the 1st thing that hit us was the aroma (aaaah) and the people (ooooh) as they picked up empty trays, followed the line and bypassed the other cakes & buns until the infamous red bean and veggie bun area. And they stacked them high, as in 10 to 15-bun high. Fortunately the staff were quick in replenishing the buns.. happy days. Some people cut the queue to directly pick up the buns and were given steely glances. There was plenty of other things to pick up eg. cookies, biscuits, cakes, macaroons, etc etc. There was also pingsu (traditional korean scraped ice dessert). We also visited the other outlet next door - slightly more modern interior with western fare, pretty cakes and all. We saw a bungeoppang stove (fish shaped red-bean bread) but it wasn't fired up. There was a cafe on 1st floor and we had lattes. Overall prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

It’s one of best bakery in Korea. You have to be in a long line to get in to the bakery:) Some of items get sold out fast. If you see cream bread you should buy some as it goes sold out fast. Try sweetened red bean bread or sweetened red bean porridge called Danpotjuk. Danpotjuk is a good desert you can have in Winter. I liked their sweetened bean filling donut.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Don't understand why so many people are crazy about this bakery's pastries! When I first moved into this city, Gunsan about 25 years ago, I asked people in the neighborhood about the good bakery to buy a birthday cake for my husband, and most of them answered it's Iseongdang in downtown. We had the b-day party, and enjoyed the cake, but a few hours later, I felt some baby delivering pain. At that time, I was pregnant for my second son, and it was the 8th month! I was scared thinking that the baby would be born 2 months earlier! We ran to the OB&Gyn doctor, but he said that it's not the baby, but the stomachache. I found out that I had a stomachache because of that too sweet cake! So I never went there again for more than 10 years living in this city, Gunsan, but as it became as the hottest bakery in this area, I went there wondering if they make less sweet ones. However, noooooo way! They are as sweet as the ones we easily see at Wal-M**ts in the U.S.A.!
I finally read their story. As Gunsan was kind of an outback in 1940s, the people in the area that time weren't oriented about any pastries. As my country, Korea was under Japanese Colony that time, many Japanese lived here in Gunsan to exploit rice through Gunsan Port which was harvested from the huge rice field in the area. And some Japanese introduced the 단팥빵(sweet redbean paste pastries) here. At that time, Korean people barely managed to have food, not even rice. Therefore, they were easily amazed at the sweet pastries, and the pastries became the precious wannabe to the people! Since then, Korean people in this area were crazy about the sweet pastries. They desired to have them as family gifts! And some people began to learn how to make that sweet redbean paste and the pastries from Japanese. One of them kept making and baking the pastries in a bakery, and that was Iseondang! That's how this bakery got the longest history of making sweet redbean paste pastries!

Their pastries have two specialties. First, they use the rice dough, not flour! Second, the sweet redbean paste reaches to the very end all around the circle shaped pastries. The bakers of this bakery seem very warm-hearted who don't care about saving any material for the customers! As they use the rice dough, the pastries are chewy, and as they never save the paste, people would enjoy the sweet paste to the last! As many Koreans love chewy food nowadays, and as they are used to having sweet desserts, the pastries of this bakery's would have become very popular.

For the people who have been really hungry, the sweet pastries can be their wannabe snack(or meal), but for the people who can enjoy any various kinds of desserts all over may not like them! They may hate them! For example, some of my aquaintances hated me when I bought some for them in Seoul. As they have studied/lived abroad, they really really look down these pastries!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Very nice place to eat breads. I strongly recommend the vegetable bread and sweet bean bread in Iseongdang. You cannot forget the taste during your whole life.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Historical and famous bakery "Isungdang".
Most famous bread is red bean and vegetable croquet.
Also reasonable price of bevareges.
Good bread taste and fresh dairy product like cream.

But the most famous breads are too famous if you plan to visit you should check time when breads are ready and more than half hour wait.