All reviews beautiful flowers beautiful hotel organic ingredients delicious dinner didn t know words cannot describe katerina makes sunny courtyard short holiday magical experience beautiful island homemade jams warm hospitality home cooking breakfast is served nearest beach every evening
Reviewed 27 August 2018

The Museum Hotel George Molfetas is a unique, boutique hotel in the quiet village of Faraklata. It is beautifully appointed, every corner being filled with old books, trinkets, objects of interest, artworks, even ancient stone carvings dug from the property itself.

Faraklata a small Kefalonian village in the hills above Argostoli, with easy access to the capital. There are the usual village amenities of a small supermarket and something I think was a bar (but had no need or time to visit, sadly). The rooms surround a courtyard containing tables (where delicious breakfasts and, on request, superlative dinners are served), and a hot tub. During the day, the village is silent but for the occasional chirp of the cicadas and the bells of a nearby church. This courtyard is an island of bliss in an already serene space.

Our room was a two storey piece of history. Filled to the gunnels with things to read and admire. A week would not be enough to catalogue everything, a year insufficient to read everything, and a lifetime inadequate to appreciate everything. Wooden stairs, ceilings, and fittings gave it an air of contrast, sophistication and the everyday. Nothing would be out of place in either a palace or a village home. It was apparent that an enormous amount of thought had gone into it. The room was comfortable, cozy, and quiet. The ideal place to begin our time in Kefalonia. Well situated for all the southern areas of he island, from it we explored Poros, Sami, Aenos, the Lixouri peninsula, the south coast, and everything we could south of Myrtos.

Katerina was a superb host. She, of course, knows everything about the island, and, when asked, provided a wealth of information and tips. Her cooking is excellent, and like everything about this hotel, thought out in detail and very special. We were also very fortunate to meet Katerina's daughter Maria and her son Yiannis. Every facet of our visit was wonderful, all conspiring to make our first week in Kefalonia perfect.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Unique, rooms are all facing a quiet courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Dreamcoordinator, Owner at Museum Hotel George Molfetas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dearest All!!!!
What a welcome surprise to find you again here, near me, telling me things that are music to my ear! It was a pleasure and a joy to have you on board of my little paradise and coming to think of it, it was the most pleasurable period of this summer, as it happened on the highlight moment of my family reunion. The night of Shawn's birthday must have been an exceptional experience of intercommunication between all of us, on a very warm human level.What an international compilation of nationalities and personalities!!!
Please give a special thanks to your son who in so many ways managed to compliment me on little things like the magic soublakia!!!!
A big, warm hug to all three of you and a big hope that we will meet again soon.Love, Katerina

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We’ve just returned from a 6 days trip at Kefalonia. It was a very last minute trip, didn’t know much about the island, just bought plane tickets. We’re not a all included resort type of family, always prefer a boutique hotel, George Molfetas reviews were so tempting, I’ve just made the reservation. I’m so happy I did so. Our family of three couldn’t be happier with my choice. From the first moment we entered the hotel till the last minute it was like staying at the family house with our mother. The hotel is renovated and decorated by Katerina with lovely antique furnitures, paintings, books, hats all with stories and memories. The garden is full of beautiful flowers. And Katerina. She is the perfect host, perfect cook and gave us the perfect tips about almost everything on the island. She lent us mats and a sun umbrella and sent us to the best beaches, both the most popular ones as well as the secret ones. We swam under the olive trees and then among the salt rocks, tried the best restaurants. The breakfasts were so delicious, we all loved having them in the garden. And she was so kind to cook an amazing dinner for us. Can’t tell enough of her hospitality. Hope we can visit the island and George Molfetas again soon.
Thanks Katerina, we are so happy to know you.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We took a break at the end of October and chose this hotel for a short holiday on the island. This hotel is situated about 25 mins drive from airport and about 40kms from any part of the island by car. It's also a couple of miles or so from the main town.

We had a wonderful room and our hostess, Katerina, was most welcoming and kind. Every day we had a super breakfast prepared for us - and we got all the advice we needed to help us with our daily excursions around the island. Every evening we returned to a hearty and beautifully cooked dinner.

The hotel is a wonderful place with a sunny courtyard and veranda. All the rooms are individually decorated and packed with interesting furniture, books and pictures.

We had a great time with Katerina who was very interesting and well informed with great stories about the island of Kefalonia and Greece. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john p
Dreamcoordinator, Owner at Museum Hotel George Molfetas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Dear friends hallo! I should have named you clients but you are so much more than this. It took me one week to get used to the new kind of life that I have to lead after your departure last week. I was, however, very lucky that the tourist period had to finish with you. I sense of serenity and appreciation is feeling my heart and I feel grateful for the gift of hosting people like you: gentle, happy, educated, interested in our history and traditions, appreciating the real organic and traditional food, even taking me out for a wonderful night at Argostoli listening to that unexpected gig of multicultural music - and Dave Brubek rythms... I thank you for letting the readers of Trip Advisor know that the end of October is a fascinating period to visit Kefalonia. I think that people should find out how precious that period is for an unforgettable exploring of the land of the eternal Ulysses. I promise that I will try my best to visit London so we can meet again. Have a mild and friendly winter. Love, Katerina

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Absolutely terrifying woman owns and runs this place. After telling us all of her money worries with the hotel , Katerina invited us to a dinner at the hotel she was making for some old friends and which sounded like a casual homemade affair (there is no restaurant on the premises) to which we accepted. After bringing back a bottle of local wine to enjoy at the hotel, Katerina came outside, hysterically cried, stormed away, came back and told us we were uncultured, rude, unable to afford her dinner which she then informed us would be 35 Euros each at least. She continued on hysterically insulting us - we were so shocked and disturbed by her irrational behaviour, we left the dinner without eating, spent a sleepless night at the hotel thinking she'd come into our room to continue her attack. We left the next day and got another hotel. We have never felt more unwelcome, insulted and attacked in a hotel or another person's home as she claimed it was. A scary and psychotic experience amplified by the remote the location - a 20 Euro cab ride out of town, with no bus. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. She also refused to refund our remaining two nights despite making our continued stay completely untenable. Will be a lasting horror story we tell all of our friends.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank yn0rris
Dreamcoordinator, Owner at Museum Hotel George Molfetas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

After this amazing terror story, I only have to remind the two ladies that I have been rated 100% by more that 117 guests in the past 10 years and I have been given excellence awards from Trip advisor for the past 4 years, as well as the Luxury Travel guide Award for 2016 as the best Historical Hotel in Europe. The reason that I do not have hundreds of reviews is that with most of my guests I become so close friends that I feel embarrased to ask them for extra reviews as they fill in my personal guest book. I could write down my side on this unspeakable story but I really feel it would be a waste of time. Privately, however, I will send a copy of their blackmailing letter and my reply to the management center of Trip Advisor so that other hoteliers will keep guard of them.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

From the moment we arrived at this quaint, chic boutique hotel, steeped in history, we were welcomed and looked after with warmth and kindness as though we were family. This place is something really special. Each elegant room is spotless and has it's own unique character - full of family collections from an earlier greek age. Katerina is a wonderful host and an amazing cook. Her passion for healthy home cooking really shines through with her meticulous attention to only organic ingredients resulting in exquisite flavours that you rarely experience. Healthy breakfasts - yogurt, home made marmalades and bread, fresh fruits (all trimmed ready to eat), eggs and coffee.

Katerina may be willing to invite you into her kitchen to watch her prepare and cook the evening meal - and at the same time picking up some valuable tips. As Katerina will say "but of course". Nothing is too much trouble for her.

This was our first visit to the Museum Hotel but it certainly won't be our last.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent - each with a different character.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret H
Dreamcoordinator, Owner at Museum Hotel George Molfetas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

My dear ones, I do not need a name under your review to know that you are the only ones that have shown so much care for me! How can I speak for all the moments we spend together, enjoying the presence of each other to the maximum. So much to talk about, such challenging questions about Greece and our deadly crisis, the view to a better future. You brought Spring in the middle of Autum!!!I do not think that I can thank you enough for your support in the challenge of maintaining the Kefalonia Museum Hotel as it is and keep on trying to save our heritage and history by saving its existance. I will NEVER forget the Star Gazing night you forced me out of my "shell"! It was a revelation in its simplicity and its capability of making us more conscious to universal beauty. Thank you from the finest cells of my being. Love, Katerina.