“Round trip shuttle to McCarthy was the best mode of transportation”

Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Wrangell Mountain Air is based at McCarthy in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. We offer day trips and 3 scheduled flight daily from Chitina (at the end of the paved road) to McCarthy-Kennicott, flightseeing tours in the best of Wrangell-St. Elias and fly-in backpacking, basecamping and rafting. There are a range of accomodations and activities available at McCarthy-Kennicott so plan on spending a day or two to enjoy the feel of remote Alaskan towns.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff was really friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. On-time. Really professional making us feel comfortable. When there was bad weather for the return flight, they kept us posted and we got out a few hours later, but since our plans for the day were flexible, we were very calm. Views were amazing. Take off and landing very smooth. And the price was appropriate. A must-do on your Alaskan trip.

RebeccaBoniek, Public Relations Manager at Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for this review! We love sharing this magical place with people. Come again soon!

Rebecca B.

"partly cloudy"
"mt st"
"mode of transportation"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the 50 minute flight see. Price was $175 and well worth it. Spectacular viewing of the area. Flight was very smooth. One of the top things to do in Alaska.

Thank you for this review! I'm glad you had a fun, smooth flight. Please come again soon!

Rebecca B.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We used an Alaska Tour Saver coupon book to cut the price in 1/2. We really enjoyed the flight from Chitina to McCarthy. The views were phenomenal! We called the night before for a reservation. Since it was not a busy time of the season there was no problem. We were pleasantly surprised when the pilot (Zack) came to pick us up even though we had not paid yet. There is no phone service in Chitina so we were a little worried about them picking us up, but they were there without a hiccup. They gave us local shuttle bus tickets and so our return trip was easy. They picked us up and dropped us at the small gravel airport. We returned in the afternoon after hiking Root Glacier. Had lunch at the Kennicott Lodge. Highly recommended! Kevin took us back...pointing out sights as we went. Again we had amazing views. We took lots of pictures! Thank you to the entire team! We will be back!

RebeccaBoniek, Public Relations Manager at Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for this review! I'm so glad you had a great experience - please come visit again soon!

Rebecca

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were in McCarthy 2 weeks ago it was an absolutely beautiful day. We stopped in to Wrangell Mt Air on the spur of the moment to book a flight. We were greeted by helpful and cheerful office staff who provided us with full descriptions of the various open flights . We selected the 1 hr flight - it could have been 90 min. Over the Wrangell Mts , the glacier tour and Kennecott. My husband and I were the only ones on that flight which made it even more of an adventure as my husband was able to ride in the co-pilot seat and I had the entire back area - both windows from which to shoot photos.

Zach was our pilot ! Zach is amazing and the day was perfect for flying. Zach said that we were able to go higher than he anticipated he is a fantastic and enthusiastic narrator . It was an absolutely jaw dropping experience. Beyond beautiful, words and photos can't begin to tell the story. Zach said he enjoyed the flight as much maybe more than we did - he had a huge grin as we exited the plane

If you have the opportunity go for it .....a true memory of a life time .. A shout out to Zach !

Thanks for your fun review! Zach is a spectacular pilot and so much fun to fly with. I hope you're able to fly with us again soon!

Rebecca

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2018

I did the "grand tour" route on 6/1/18 that took us over the Bagley icefield and the Chugach mountains. The weather was perfect, and the views stretched for miles. This is truly one of the best ways to see the vastness of Wrangell St. Elias National Park!

The pilot did an excellent job of making me feel safe prior to take off. During the tour, he provided lots of information about what we were seeing. Through no fault of his flying (he really was a great pilot!), I experienced some motion sickness during the flight.

The pilot was extremely kind and understanding about my motion sickness. We landed back at McCarthy early so that I could take a break and get some fresh air. He was willing to take me back up to finish the tour after I felt better, but I elected to keep both feet on the ground! Ha! The pilot then took the other two passengers up to finish the tour. His actions and compassion truly impressed me -- you are going to get amazing views if you fly with this company, but you will also get amazing service. I highly recommend working with this company if you feel like flying!

RebeccaBoniek, Public Relations Manager at Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I'm so glad you had a good trip, Melissa! Thanks for your kind words - I know Kevin enjoyed meeting you. Hope you can come again soon for a full flight in the Wrangells!

Rebecca B