Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews mr vinod his wife bird guide home stay his knowledge bird sanctuary an excellent guide slender loris god's own country morning and evening guest rooms indian pitta great birding birding trip perfect hosts wood pigeon charging points
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2021

Wow... Where do I start.
My wife, daughter and I stayed for 3 nights at Vinod and Sini's excellent homestay nestled within the Thattekad Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. My wife and I were here mainly for the birding. Our daughter, even though not an avid birder, is a naturalist of sorts nevertheless. This lovely homestay checked all the boxes for all three of us. Vinod is an amazing birder himself, and knew all the local birding hotspots in and out, having spent the better part of his life in the vicinity. Most birders come to Thattekad with some sort of a wishlist of birds to see. We, on the other hand, did not have any such list and we gave Vinod carte blanche to lead us around the hotspots. And boy did he take charge... We asked for owls and we ended up seeing all but one of the resident species. We asked for a couple of frogmouths, and he showed us a family of three... Our mornings, afternoons and evenings were jam packed with activity. Vinod even managed to entice our non-birder daughter to join us for an owling session. :-)
Each time we returned from birding, Sini, the lady of the house and a consummate cook, laid out a gastronomic fiesta of mouth-watering dishes.
Suffice to say that we were staggering in and out of the homestay all the time with singing hearts, full stomachs and full memory cards and we carried with us a vacation's worth of fantastic memories. We're definitely coming here again.

Room tip: Any room is good. The two on top have a big, dense Hibiscus shrub right in front visited by lots of sunbirds and flowerpeckers.
Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 24 February 2021 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Vinod and Sini's Birds Song Homestay! We were amazed that the place is actually within the sanctuary itself, and next to a lake where you can spot waterbirds while sitting on the porch! While Vinod is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic birding guide, he's also environmentally conscious, and takes care not to disturb the birds. Also, we could spot about 25-30 birds just around the Homestay itself. We spotted a total of 125 species of birds in total just in Thattekaad. Sini's food is just amazing! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all tasty affairs and her portions are really big. Overall, we had a most fantastic birding trip and stay with this lovely couple! We will definitely be returning here soon for Round-2.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2021 via mobile

Both Vinod and his wife Simi are amazing hosts. This is our second trip.

Simi dishes out authentic mouth watering Kerala delicacies.

The rooms are spacious and neat.

Vinod is a guide par excellence. He has great understanding of birds. We were lucky to spot several lifers in our 2 trips.

If you visit Thattekad, it has to be bird song.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2020 via mobile

I visited Birds Song Homestay in Feb 2020, after a lot of research. My priority were comfort for family and maximum birding opportunities within place of stay. I was very happy in all these aspects. Mr.Vinod and his family should be appreciated for their hospitality. On meeting Mr.Vinod, i expressed my wishlist of birds, and he made sure i saw all those within one day of my stay. I still remember that afternoon at a hide he arranged in his backyard... The sounds of black hooded orioles, white bellied treepie and Malabar grey hornbills still ringing in my ears! Fantastic place for birders!

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sreeharil2020
Reviewed 3 March 2020 via mobile

We had a lovely 3 night stay at the Birdsong Homestay. We are interested in looking at birds when we go for a walk but we’re not avid birders (well we are now). Vinod was an excellent guide and tried very hard to make sure we saw all the birds. His knowledge was second to none and his passion for wildlife was obvious. It was absolutely fascinating and we are now hooked. The rooms are simple but very clean and comfortable. We had an air con room. The food was cooked by Vinod’s wife and it was excellent, simple home cooked Kerelan food, just what we wanted. We stayed at the same time as an Australian and his wife. He had been a birder for 40 years and he was a great help to us. A very enjoyable stay

Date of stay: February 2020