Nusfjord Rorbuer
US$284
US$154
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe kitchenlofoten islandsbreakfast and dinnerfishing villagecodgeneral storeliving museumdouble bedfront doorsleeping areanice placelast weekrecommend this placestunning viewsstay overnightstock fisha tad
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I've been three night in last April. I arrived around 6PM, and there were nobody except three fishermen cleaning cods. Nobody at reception and in all premises. As I had been informed, my keys an information were left inside the postbox out of the reception, and there they were, everything perfectly described. The Rorbuer had one bedroom, with a double bed and a single. It was fully equipped, and very well maintained. Has also a big bathroom, and a sitting area by the kitchen, everything cosy, homy and warm. The view was to the small port, absolutely gorgeous. Eventhough I almost have seen nobody, I felt in paradise. When I left, again I left the keys at the same place i;ve got them in my arrival, since no one was there for handed in. I recommend this place very much. Nusfjord is a lovely fjord away from the E10, the main route of Lofoten, but not far away from it. The weather I had helped me to enjoy this paradise, that is Lofoten archipelago

Room Tip: All rorbuers are perfectly located
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Nusfjord Rørbuer, a fantastic setting in a fairly deep bay. The area had maintained the original concept with a number of cottages along the shore. We had house nr 9, very nicely decprated with kitchen/living room and separate bedroom. Everything was super until we went to bed, awful beds. In a hotel at this price level you wouldn't expect a bed like as in a cheap hostel, hard bottom with a thin foam matress, i.e. not many hours sleep.
Restaurant was fine and food ok. We didn't take breakfast in the restaurant - pricy!

Room Tip: Buy food for breakfast at a supermarket before you go to Nusfjord. Easy to make breakfast yourself as the room has fully equipped kitchen
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Do read Amy K's review, I won't repeat what she says, but it is full of helpful advice. Our cabin was lovely. Very pleasant and stylish, though, as others have said, the bedrooms are generally tiny. The setting is as wonderful as any rorbuer we stayed in. The food in the restaurant in the village (there is only one) was excellent, but only eat the stock fish once for the experience, it's not bad, but it's not great. The village is a living museum serving only tourists and a few connected to the fishing. Car free (at the end of a dead-end road) and beautiful, it was a treat to stay there when the tourists had gone home. There is a beautiful coastal walk round the headland. You can get a passenger ferry to Nusfjord. We were on a cycling holiday, moving on each day and it made a perfect stopover.

Room Tip: Cabins vary enormously, make an informed choice
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thoughtful100
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We didn't know what to expect, and were very pleased to find out what a nice place it actually is. Each room has a different character to it. Of course, it is " classy" but we'll worth the experience. It is out in the countryside,. We were there in the Summer, and I'm sure that there is a different experience in the winter....well worth the experience..
But, be aware, the sun doesn't set in the summer!!
The food was excellent. Never experienced eating whale, . Need to be open minded to new experiences.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Nusfjord Rorbuer for 4 nights/5 days with my husband and 13-year-old child. The setting is breathtaking, peaceful, and filled with so much nature! The international staff is very friendly and helpful.

Be sure to be fully informed about the different classes of cabins before booking yours. The cabins vary widely in standards, and some don't have running water (other than a hose outside the cabin) or attached bathrooms. In the cabins with bunks, the "mattresses" are a double layer of egg-crate foam, and one must climb a foot-unfriendly ladder to get up to them. The bunks worked fine for my family, but they would be very challenging with young children or for anyone with back issues or who is larger in size.

The food served in Restaurant Karoline is excellent! We were disappointed that the Catch of the Day was the same every day we were there though. The dinner menu is quite limited and didn't vary at all while we were visiting. There are three lunch-type items available, as well as some treats like waffles and sweets to snack on. The pub, which opens in July at 7pm each evening, had two pub is offerings or a third option that was a combination of the first two items. The General Store has some food and drinks for sale, as well as practical items and souvenirs.

I would recommend going into Ramberg, shopping at Bunnpris (a grocery store), and buying at least breakfast, lunch, snack, and drink options (our cabin had a fridge) to have in your cabin, especially if you'll have children with you. You'll save a lot of money, and you won't be on Nusfjord Rorbuer's restaurant and shop openings schedule for those items.

My family and I think 1-2 nights/2-3 days is an ideal amount of time at Nusfjord Rorbuer. We needed to be there longer for a particular event that one of us was participating in; but, we would have left earlier if that was not the case. That would not have been from a lack of enjoying it. Rather, we'd tapped out the unique experience by the Day 3.

You don't need a car in Nusfjord Rorbuer; however, you very much need one if you're doing anything else in the larger surrounding area while there. Nusfjord is about 6km off of E10, which - from what I could tell - is where the closest bus stop is. Taxis are a possibility, but they're pricey and time-consuming to get in that location. We were so thankful we'd rented a car! It allowed us to easily explore the villages and beaches (well with seeing!) nearby. It could be useful to have a bike in the village, but the road coming into Nusfjord from E10 is frighteningly narrow. I saw people biking it, but I viewed it as a death wish.

While in Nusfjord, you can take out a rowboat for free; and it's well worth doing! You can also rent a motorboat or pay to join their fishing boat excursion, both of which are fun options. The waters there are beautiful and filled with pretty jellyfish.

A good eye mask and earplugs are an absolute must if you'd like to sleep well while visiting in the summer months. As should be expected with historic fishing cabins, insulation from noise doesn't really exist, and it would be extremely difficult to sufficiently block out the nighttime sun from coming in the windows. We were all very grateful for our eye masks and earplugs!

Nusfjord is well worth a visit! Its history is fascinating. There is what seems to be a huge camping culture throughout Scandinavia, and there were many couples, families, and groups from all over Scandinavia stopping at Nusfjord to stay overnight or 2 nights as part of a larger camping/outdoorsy itinerary. To get into the right mindset for staying there, Americans would do well to view it as expensive camping - especially when choosing either of the two lowest class of cabins - with some extra amenities available.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family