“Stunning Location”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Villa Castle Rock

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
UNIXgirl
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great time in Cyprus - horrible time dealing with Prestige Bookings”
Reviewed 21 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

I'm an American living in Germany and travel frequently. I've booked through Trip Advisor a number of times and the process has always been a breeze. I was delighted when I found Castle Rock and all the reviews were outstanding - so it seemed like an easy choice.

However, my experience with Gerry and Prestige Bookings is quite the opposite of what other people reported.

My initial inquiry into the availability of Castle Rock was met with a friendly and prompt reply from Gerry. Most of our correspondence was the same - other than the fact that he offered to set up rental cars for us, but then I never heard back from him about them, until I asked about them some weeks later and he replied that he had forgotten about setting it up. He ended up setting up the rental cars for us, so I chalked it up to a simple mistake.

About a week before our arrival, I received an email from Gerry with the final details regarding the arrival at the villa and he informed me that he would not be able to meet us because he would be on holiday, but his daughter would call to check in with us on arrival day. I had previously provided my mobile phone number.

We flew into Larnaca, picked up our rental cars with little hassle, and started the drive to the property. We had no issues getting to Paphos, but once there, we ran into some problems with the directions due to construction detours. We finally found our way there and arrived around 7pm. Needless to say, it was pitch dark by that time - which leads me to my first major issue. Not only was there no one there to meet us, but there were no lights on at the property. Our group of 7 were literally stumbling around in the dark, trying to find our way up the driveway and up the front stairs to the door. We had to use the lights from our mobile phones to see where we were going. Once there, after a little searching (with our phones), we found the keybox near the door and finally made our way inside. Again, it took us some time to find that there was a slot for the key near the door (similar to what's in a hotel room) where you had to insert a key card in order to turn on the lights and power in the room. The lights inside were very dim, and since we had no orientation to where anything was, it took us some time to figure out where the keys were to the pool houses for the people staying in those - (we finally found them hanging by the back door). There was a booklet regarding the house and local area, and there was a very small welcome pack of food (bread, lunch meat, sliced cheese, wine, milk, and juice).

The villa and the pool houses were pretty shabby and outdated, but the outside area is really the best part of the property. The pool was too cold to swim in, and apparently the hot tub doesn't work even though it was full of water - but the outdoor fireplace and eating area is incredible, and we really enjoyed that part.

Gerry's daughter finally came by the 2nd night we were there - up until then we had no contact from anyone with the villa - or any way to contact anyone with the villa. When Gerry had emailed me and told me he was going on holiday, he said that although he wasn't going to be there, he was always available via email in case we needed anything. I had emailed him upon receiving that email regarding some questions the group had, but never received a reply. Anyway, Gerry's daughter came and charged us a security deposit and according to Gerry's email, the deposit would be refunded one week after our departure.

So, we departed on the 29th of November, and upon returning, I was going through all the paperwork I had when booking the villa, and I was surprised to see that I had been charged - and paid for - the security deposit when I initially booked and paid for the villa through Tripadvisor. I emailed Gerry the receipts from the original payment, along with the itemized bill HE sent me, and also the bill that his daughter charged us for a 2nd security deposit. After not hearing from him for a week, I emailed him again on December 7th. He finally wrote back and said he had still been on vacation, and stated (cut and paste from his email) "this was our error as you had booked through TripAdvisor and they had charged and held onto your deposit. Again as I was away, you were charged a 2nd time by ourselves, and I will get this refund sorted straight away for you."

Another week goes by, and no word from Gerry, nor is there any refund. I email him again on December 14th to inquire about the status of my security deposit refund and I receive this reply from him "I made 3 refunds on my return and for some reason nobody has received them. I am in touch with the card processer to find out why and where is the money. I will get back to you once I know what is happening, (very soon)."

Another week goes by, and still no word from Gerry. I emailed him again today to find out the status of my refund and this is his reply "My sincerest apologies for this, if I'm honest I completely forgot about this. I am out of the office for most of the day and do the refund later and email you a copy of the slip."

This type of treatment by a business is completely unacceptable and I would never recommend anyone use Prestige Bookings. I would come to Cyprus again in a heartbeat, but NEVER would I use Prestige Bookings. I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of hassle to get my money back that they incorrectly charged me. I take the blame for not reading my itemized bill more thoroughly, or I would have never agreed to pay the 2nd security deposit, but since they are the ones who sent me the itemized bill to begin with, they should have been aware that they already charged me the deposit.

The way this has all been handled, from the 2 security deposits being charged to my credit card (and not being held, the charges actually went through), to the claim that he has "forgotten" to process my refund - makes me wonder if this isn't a scam they pull on their clients more often.

As it stands now, I have no faith in actually receiving my security deposit from Gerry, so I will have to take his emails (where he admits that he incorrectly charged me twice) to my credit card company to dispute the bill. Again, this is a hassle I shouldn't have to deal with.

I've had many co-workers and friends inquire about the villa after seeing the pictures we posted, but I've had to advise them all not to book it, because of this experience - and I would advice anyone else who is reading this of the same thing.

Liked best: Loved everything about Cyprus
Liked least: The hassle with Gerry and Prestige Bookings
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
30 Dec 2015
Stacy, on reading your review of your holiday here with us, I am amazed to say the least at some of your comments and feel the need to address this in some detail.
You state that I never replied to you with regards rental cars. I emailed you an offer for the cars on the 23rd of September and you only replied to apologising for not getting back to me on 8th of October, The cars were booked as soon as you sent the required information and were waiting for you on arrival in the airport. I think any delays were on your side, not ours. You state that nobody was there to meet you on arrival. I had already informed you that I would not be there and that our daughter would come to meet you. This she did twice, but you had not turned up. As she doesn't drive it was impossible for her to return until she had a lift, and this she did the following day. With regards to the house being in darkness, the interior lights only work once the key has been placed in the fob inside the door, the same system that is used in thousands of hotels worldwide, so it was not possible for them to leave the lights on. However all exterior lights are on a timing system and these were all working when you arrived. When my daughter did meet with you the following day, she specificly asked if everything was ok, and you replied that everything was fine. She gave you her mobile number and told you to call if you needed anything, no calls were received. As a company, we provide free of charge a basic welcome pack for our guests, which from our experience all guests actually appreciate. We are the only company to do this free, everybody charges approx. 25-30 Euro. The pool in this villa is not heated which you knew at all times since booking. We have installed recently a hot tub in the gardens which works perfectly, but was not include in the price that you paid. Also this facility was not nor never had been advertised for your booking. I did however notice that some one in you group had damaged the door of the metal box on the side of the hot tub whilst trying to force it open, we didn't actually deduct this damage from your deposit. You state that you emailed me regarding some questions you had and never received any reply. This is because I have never received any email with questions from you and have a full record of everything received and replied too. I reply to all emails in a timely manner and our 100's of satisfied clients can vouch for this. You also state the villa Castle Rock is shabby. This villa is decorated in a style to suit the surroundings. When you booked the villa you had seen a number of photos before booking, and what you saw is exactly what you got. The overwhelming majority of clients book this villa for its uniqueness, and that's exactly why you did too. if you read the past clients reviews you will see exactly this, the villa is not shabby, its different. with regards to your security deposit, there was an error on our part in charging and refunding you, I can only sincerely apologise for this. In you review you have quoted me from some of the mails that I sent you, but you have been very selective in what you quoted, and in doing so you have painted a one sided picture. When you made your payment to TripAdvisor they charged you the deposit, so we should not have charged it again. This we did in error on your arrival. When I made the refund it was then made to the incorrect card and we did not realise this and thought it was sorted. You then contact me and I told you I would get it fixed for you. When I got busy this did slip my mind and I was at least honest in telling you this. You then were again selective in using my words in order to make us look bad. You also forgot to mention that once I realised this I emailed you with a copy of the refund slip. You state in your review that you think this might be a scam, Shame on you for trying to deliberately trying to damage our business. Was it a scam when you were met in the airport with the car hire, when you arrived at the villa to find it ready for you, or when my daughter came to visit and check you were ok. I think not, and neither do the 100's of families and groups that have stayed with us over the past number of years.

Lindsay H
Egremont, United Kingdom
“Stunning Location”
Reviewed 20 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015

We booked the villa with Dream Villas and the ladies who sorted us out were very helpful. We had a lovely welcome from Gerry, who waited patiently for us to arrive. Gerry showed us around and called back a few times during the holiday to make sure everything was ok. He was also at the end of a phone so it was nice to know if we had a problem Gerry would be there to help. He had great recommendations for all the things visitors need to know. The welcome pack was lovely and the food stuff, milk etc was already in the fridge waiting for us. The villa is very unusual as it is built into a rocky outcrop so the whole back wall of the villa is stone. The outside space is amazing with fantastic outdoor seating area and incredible views out to sea. I was a bit disappointed with the decor , but I realize it is a personal choice. It was a bit on the dark side with dark olive walls and heavy dark furniture. The kitchen could have done with updating and wasn't pristine. However the bathrooms were well decorated and very unusual with the rock wall as a feature. A pool man visited twice a week to keep the water crystal clear and the ice cream man would even come right to the door if he saw your car in the drive. The villa is well situated for the bars and restaurants of Coral Bay but a car is necessary. We would certainly return to Cyprus and the villa, as Gerry really looked after us and made us feel very welcome.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The stunning location and pool area.
Liked least: The dark decor and outdated kitchen
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
21 Oct 2015
Hi Lindsay, it was a pleasure meeting you and Paul here in sunny Cyprus, and hopefully you will be able to return sometime soon. Regards, Gerry
Justin T
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, private villa with stunning views.”
Reviewed 1 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Had a fantastic two weeks at villa Castle Rock, it is a beautiful villa with lovely views out to sea, excellent outdoor eating area, lovely pool. Gerry was extremely helpful with anything we needed on our stay, with plenty of food and drink to get us started on our late night arrival, with any information on anywhere to visit or eat with the bonus of a 10% discount card in many restaurants. Big thanks to Gerry for sorting out another villa for us to use on our last day because of a late evening flight. Would highly recommend a trip to Latchi to hire a boat to see the Blue Lagoon. Would definitely go back to Villa Castle Rock one day.

Travelling group: Friends
2 Sep 2015
Hi Justin,

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you all here in sunny Cyprus, and a joy to know that you had a wonderful holiday. Please pass my regards to all, and hopefully we will see you here again sometime soon,

Regards,

Julie H
“exellent villa settings for a fairy tail wedding”
Reviewed 21 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

exellent villa , relaxing , nice quit area , exellent settings for the wedding shots of the boys getting ready , close enough for local shops bars and restaraunts by car and the lovely beaches .
built into the rocks it provided every thing we asked for and more .
BBQ evenings , drinking and hosting for friends ,, amazing .
gerry was a star , and nothing too much for him !!!!!

Liked best: pool , bbq , every thing really
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 Aug 2015
Hi Julie.

It was an absolute pleasure having you all here with us, and to know that you had an amazing holiday and wedding. Thanks very much for your kind words, and hopefully you will get the chance to return soon.

Regards to all,

gav194
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Castle Rock really made our holiday, quiet surrounding well equip ........ Fabulous!!!!

The Wilson and McCann families

Travelling group: Friends
10 Jul 2015
Hi Gavin,

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you all here in sunny Cyprus, and I'm so glad that you all had a great time in Castle Rock. Hopefully you will all return again soon.

Please pass my regards on to all,

Gerry
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing