Lowest prices for your stay
Agoda.com
Expedia.comUS$100
TravelocityUS$100
Reviews (1 189)
1 189 results
All reviews fins restaurant the general manager guest relations our honeymoon animation team kids club palm trees head chef standard room relaxing holiday indian ocean out of this world water polo seafood south coast main restaurant zuri
Selected filters
5 - 10 of 1 189 reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2021 via mobile

Being the second time coming to Diani reef made me not to forget this for my life time.The service from the reception was cool and welcoming..iwould like to say thanks for the staffs who showed love and caring to me.. I would like to recognize Mr George ziro at fins,chef kahiga, mariam at Spa the best spa ever .. and lastly the sports team who were very charming and funny..john,Yvonne and Mohammed they always make sure you smile, during night show we really enjoyed though i and my friend were really waiting to see the acrobats boys, flexibility and fire guy like last time to play with fire but what i saw wasn't what i expected from the fire man i guess he was not the one, i remember the dark guy somebody cheyo could swallow it with no fear. Lastly would like to congratulate the house keeping .they did a wonderful job I will come back to diani reef..

Trip type: Travelled with friends
jitendra bisoyi, Guest Services / Front Office at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2021

Dear xship,

Thank you very much for choosing Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa for your stay in Diani Beach. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the service, spa and staff. We would love to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2021 via mobile

The staff is unparalleled. Very friendly, helpful, and courteous The grounds and the hotel in general are so beautiful.
Food is amazing. The rooms are very clean and nicely designed
There isn’t one bad thing I could say and I’m not easy to please.
Well done. Congratulations
This hotel and its team never fails.
Mwende at the check in together with Gabriel did a superb job
The restaurant and the chefs hidaya,Ali, super Mariam Nicholas,George and the rest of the staff were exceptional mary at the restaurant made sure we were always on time for our breakfast although she kept on forgetting my room number she was just amazing and had great stories to tell.
They always remembered our names too!
The Zuri team my goodness exceptional too!
The dances and the aerobics and the talent they have they are indeed an asset to the property.
My boyfriend and I were very surprised by how much the staff members where paying attention.
Such a superstars!!
This well-oiled team is just so impressive,sorry to anyone I have not mentioned but you are all in my heart we love you all.
We are obsessed!
Thank you so much for taking great care of us.

Our stay was brilliant, by the end we were truly pampered and spoilt very sad to leave.
All the staff were amazing and made our stay feel very special. Altogether a great all round package we will surely be back ❤❤

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jitendra bisoyi, Guest Services / Front Office at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2021

Dear Guest,

We are very happy you chose Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa for your stay in Diani Beach. Our team is happy to note that you enjoyed our friendly staff, tasty food, restaurant and comfortable room. We would love to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2021

I am not quite sure where to start...

I suppose it should be the 2-hour wait to check-in before a suitable room (the first one had no safe, the second one just damp). I should have guessed what was ahead.

Ever the optimist, I attempted to change some USD to KES at the hotel cashier on arrival during this wait. At least a beer may keep me cool? No luck, the cashier has the USD equivalent of $20, my smallest bill being $50!

After check-in, I went to join friends who had arrived two days previous at the beach area. No luck getting a beer, 4 guys, and only 3 beers. My friends also told me do not even bother ordering lunch, they had done so the day previous. It took 1.5 hours to order and even longer for the lunch to arrive.

We walked to a nearly Italian called Jolleys (highly recommended), and spent $100 there instead. Unlucky Diani Reef that money was coming your way if only you had acceptable service.

Later that night our group of 5 ate at Fins Restaurant in the resort. Even if we exclude the "singer" who had both tone and pronunciation issues, the real letdown was the food. Three of us took the "Catch of the Day, it happened to be Red Snapper. We all took Swahili style and coconut rice. Needless to say, we got plain rice, and the "Catch of the Day" with either several days before, or savagely cooked. Awful, everyone left the fish, we all ate the rice. It was fine, but plain rice.

The Wine list consists of One Red and One White wine! That was a new one on me for a supposedly high-star resort.

The following day the remainder of my group were due to check out before me, my intention was to stay two additional days. We paid a rather large bill (for extras, not the room charges), of 73k KES (Approx $700 USD), between 3 credit cards and settled in full. We did this the evening before in case of any credit card issues the following morning and to not leave anything outstanding.

The following morning over breakfast before they left, we realized the bill was high. Maybe we'd all had a glass or three too many and did not realize. Anyhow, we went to reception and asked the manager to just show us the receipts to verify.

Anyhow, 12 hours later after multiple requests I got to see the bills. The MAJORITY was unsigned, just one of our room numbers scribbled on. Some were ours for sure, and I immediately said so and that I am very happy to pay those (well we had ALREADY paid, but I accepted those charges). But some were not, and I would like these refunded.

The next morning, I got told by the food and beverages manager, rudely, that sir sorry we stand by the bill there will be no refund.

As angry as I am at this, the manager the previous day told me if I chose to check out early a refund will be given.

During the investigation three staff all agreed with me "this is wrong", all bar one (the most junior) was hidden from me the next day.

I take them up on this, only to be told on check out. Well not told actually, I overheard the manager Jetindra, say "no refund from the hotel at all". He never had the decency to tell me himself and left it to a junior member of staff to tell me. He then left at high speed unwilling to talk to me.

Other issues:
On my second to last day, I took a haircut in the salon. This was the worst haircut of my life. The lady admitted after she was not qualified but she "is good sir", but she had never cut a white person's hair before!

I spoke to Daniel, I think some form of junior manager or supervisor. I then went to a different resort to get a repaid job done. This cost me 3k KES ($30 USD). This was not refunded either!

There were 5 separate rooms in our booking, and over the group, we moved to 10 rooms I believe. Showing how bad the general quality is here. Even reading the positive reviews here, they admit that the place is in need of renovation! (understatement).

I got live sewage (or at least that colour) from my tap. Making showing not easy, you had to wait for whatever it was to run clear.

I had 3 nights with no working TV. The wifi was erratic, but just about passable as long as you did not want to do a video call. Netflix was impossible.

The others in my group had used the hotel car to pick them from Mombassa airport for 5,5K KES (55 USD), they had forgotten to charge this on the 73K bill I have spoken about, they just added it to mine! (Uber is less than 3,000 KES ($30 and very safe, better quality cars than the hotel ones also)

The resort is hugely understaffed, I was told that many were paid off over COVID. Fair enough, but I was also told they have an average of 150 guests daily again at the moment. So get some of your staff back! The service is absolutely the worst I have ever had.

There certainly are many reasons that this hotel is so cheap at the moment. BUT, it is not in any way value for money.

The spot and the view are to die for, but you can equally die waiting to be served.

Cheap yes, value, not a chance. The single worst resort experience of my life. Wholly unprofessional management. Should never be allowed to run any place that needs a good level of customer service. The bathrooms are extremely tired, the towels are shall we say, well used!

I will never return and will also be very open in my assessment, unless your budget is super tight and you are prepared to accept such things, stay clear. Stay away and drive on to the many high-end places available. The only time service was good was at breakfast, a buffet, as you have to serve yourself!

I for example am writing this from a 5* hotel on the same street, utter luxury and not that much more expensive. Finally, I am on holiday and getting the break I wanted, there was no chill, no vacation, or no fun at Diani Reef Resort. Avoid avoid avoid.

Room tip: Avoid at all costs
Date of stay: March 2021
jitendra bisoyi, Guest Services / Front Office at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2021

Dear 66keithh,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa. We appreciate the feedback on the same. It is with great concern, we have learnt that you were not satisfied with your experience. The rating you have posted is taken into serious consideration. However, we disagree with some of your points. Despite you having reserved a standard garden room, our team went out of their way to provide you with a sea view room as per your request, which took some time for check-in. Your group approached our cashier who showed the bills and post as per the agreement he has charged the different credit which was given by your team to him. It is unfortunate that you are complaining about the integrity of our staff, even with all the work and effort they have put in. All in all, that is unacceptable. All your consumption during the stay was scanned and sent to the email address which your team gave us. Please check with your team on the same and again, we are sorry for the unfortunate events.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 March 2021

It seems that lower tourist volume has impacted the resort's ability to provide the required maintenance and service staff to deliver on their 5-star claim.

The CONS:
- There was a unnecessary long check-in process that kept us from getting to our rooms after a long drive into the resort
- The rooms were dusty with exposed wiring from the downlighting.
- The bar fridge in the room was empty (only water provided) and the instruction from the room attendant was to order from room service rather.
-The wait staff at the pool bar and beach area were dismissive and refused to serve any lounger they deemed "too far".
- The food from the Fins Restaurant was horrible and evident in the limited number of guests eating dinner inside the property
- The check-out billing was complicated by unsigned dockets.
- The lack of action from the management team on the the multiple occasions that the service issues were brought up.

The PROS:
- Amazing location of this resort
- Wonderful experiences and eateries close to the resort (Salty Squid, Ali Barbour Cave restaurant, Jolly Pizzeria, Safari's beach bar)
- The easy access from and to the resort via the Diani airstrip (JamboJet, Hahn Air and others fly from here to Nairobi)
- Friendly boda and tuk tuk transporters ready to go near the resort exits.

CONCLUSION:
- The price is slightly lower than competing properties in the area but that does not make it better value for money.
- Food quality, service failures and lack of maintenance at this property and will be the main reasons for recommending an alternative property.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. First of all, we would like to thank you for your positive comments about our location. We are concerned to note though that price, restaurant and room didn't leave you completely satisfied. All comments have been passed to the relevant departments in order to ensure that we're able to deliver a 5-star guest experience. All your remarks are taken into consideration to improve our hotel. We wish you could give us another chance to win you back.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2021 via mobile

Real life dream. I love it!
Service from the gate to the rooms, dining, pool, bar is great, food and drinks are amazing, the spaces are well maintained and clean... the beach is clean and well following the MOH covid guidelines.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Abumburu,

Thank you very much for choosing Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa for your stay in Diani Beach. We are proud to know that you enjoyed our bar, beautiful beach, pool and excellent food. We would love to welcome you back in the nearest future.

With Kind Regards,