4 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 21/06/19
CheapTicketsUS$176
Trip.comUS$258
TravelocityUS$176
All reviews low tide tractor ride beach banda colobus monkeys catch of the day the penthouse seafood octopus little piece of heaven mombasa airport salt water beautiful beach sea view water sports our honeymoon meal times indian ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 March 2021 via mobile

My family and i finally made it to Chale Island. Wanted to go for almost one year - then corona came.
We spontaneously rebooked our trip and came to this magic place.

First arriving at the island by boat was simply stunning. Really like paradise. The landscape, plants and of course the sea. Just stunning and breathtaking.

We had booked a beach banda for the entire stay. This house was really right at the beach. You couldn’t be any closer.
The beach is just gorgeous. White and fine sand, turquoise sea, comfortable beds. What could you want more?

The food was always fresh, nicely prepared and very tasty. Especially the pasta. I am absolutely picky with pasta - it must be absolutely al dente. They offered italian pasta - my kids and i loved it.

I highly recommend this island. It was definitely a dream vacation.

Also the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The general manager is a very lovely and helpful person and is really interested in making everyone’s stay as perfect as possible.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Chale Island, Other at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hey,
We would like to begin by expressing our gratitude towards you for granting us an opportunity to be at your service. We appreciate that you squeezed time out of your schedule to put in a word of recommendation for us and eventually we are glad that your vacation at our establishment was a success. It is our hope to host you again during your next holiday.

Reviewed 22 February 2021

Wonderful 5 days and 4 nights on this wonderful island . Staff super nice ; Rooms lovely , Spa/Massage Lady Milie just amazing , a MUST TRY . Buffet was good although not spectacular for this type of hotel . Nature is beautiful and the Colobus monkeys are so lovely ; I missed a fridge in the room

Date of stay: February 2021
Chale Island, Other at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2021

Hi Dani,
We take this opportunity to express our heartfelt appreciation for giving us the chance to play host to you. We thank you for squeezing time out of your schedule to record your wonderful experience at Chale Island paradise via this medium. It was amazing hosting you and we anticipate your return so that we can do this again. Karibu tena

Reviewed 22 February 2021

Spend 4 nights there in the remotest room available (COVID time). The room was amazing but HOT1 The airconditioning could not do anything for the big room. Did not sleep the first night but once they got a fan - it made it bearable
Food was good and location amazing. The tractor ride made it fun.
swimming pool was hot - so started swimming early in the morning!
Excellent spa - worth the visit.

Date of stay: November 2020
2  Thank Sunspotter2016

Hey,
It is heart warming to hear that your stay at our resort was awesome despite the minute issue with the air conditioner nevertheless we apologize for any inconveniences caused. Thank you for taking your time to express your experience and observations of Chale Island. Our prayer now is to host you again in the future, make efforts to return we promise it will be worth your while.

Reviewed 18 February 2021 via mobile

Exquisite hotel on island.
Clean beach.
Tasty food.
Impeccable service.
Lots of water related sports/activities.
Beautiful and large rooms.
Have a secluded pool.
An excellent getaway for family and lovers.

Date of stay: April 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello,
Thank you for your short but detailed expression about Chale Island paradise. We are glad we had the opportunity to serve you and hope that we will have the chance of hosting you again the next time you feel like rewinding and getting away.

Reviewed 20 December 2020 via mobile

First, let me say we are seasoned travelers and this was not our first trip to southern areas of Africa (hubby’s second to Kenya, my first; been to Tanzania, South Africa, and Namibia). We’ve traveled to over 50 countries on six continents - from first to third world. I am astonished that our review can differ so drastically from other reviewers, but this place absolutely didn’t meet our expectations as a 4-star property at the price point, which was lower than normal when we went in late Sep due to the bad covid year and low demand. The other four places we stayed at during our safari portion all got the highest reviews from us.

Oh where do I start with this review? I guess I will just be honest and direct. First, I rarely rate hotels poorly because I mostly do my homework ahead of time to ensure it meets our expectations (which changes based on the price point of the hotel). If we don’t pay a lot, we don’t expect much, but if we’re paying a good amount, then the expectations increase. This hotel isn’t super expensive, but it’s not cheap either, so my negative review is based on poor price to value.

We booked this through a safari agency who said this was really the best place to be in terms of beach stops in Kenya. With covid and everything, our trip was more of a last-minute thing with only about 3 weeks of “planning” before takeoff. It was recommended at the end of our two week itinerary. I simply looked at a few Trip Advisor reviews and also on Booking.com. It had good reviews, so we included it.

This hotel was a complete let down from the time we arrived. The rooms are old, totally outdated and in need of new furniture, and have terrible A/C. We were actually upgraded to a beach banda, so I’m really curious what their other rooms are like if this was an “upgrade”.

We had full board included, but the food was terrible. It was edible, but there was really no creativity and it was quite repetitive. On 3 out of 4 nights we were there, they offered some sort of pasta with a tomato sauce as the appetizer. The type of pasta would change - penne, tagliatelle, etc - and they would call the sauce something else, but it was virtually the same thing. Their appetizers were huge and was like the size of a main. They honestly focused on quantity instead of quality. The buffet was currently not in operation due to the low number of guests (max 20 the entire four days we were there at the end of Sep/beg Oct). Had I known the food in the main restaurant was going to be so blah, I would have not had food included and just ordered from their a la carte menu, which I did on two occasions because I just did not like what was offered. I’d rather pay extra to eat something I like (literally ordered a $10 pizza) than simply an included 3 course meal if it’s bad.

The pictures online show lovely, rustic style rooms. Rustic just means old in this case. I didn’t even like sleeping with the mosquito net covering the bed because it had a slight unpleasant smell to it. The gym looks nice in pictures on their website, but is totally falling apart. They don’t show y as ou the rusty weights or the tape keeping the bench together on the weight machines.

I honestly equate this hotel to my first cheap 3-star hotel in Cancun when I was 22, but even there the room and facilities were better. I wouldn’t pay more than $75-$100 a night to stay here, but honestly, I just wouldn’t stay here at all. After our trip, a friend asked me about going to Kenya for safari and ending with a beach vacation. I told him to go to Zanzibar for the beach instead. The flight is only 30 minutes longer from Nairobi and beaches (and resorts) are a million times better (we were there in 2010).

The two stars comes from the pools, which we spent a lot of time in, the spa where we had daily massage appointments, and my husband enjoyed his ocean swims during high tide.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank mdyrdek
Andras Porffy, Owner at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2020

good morning from chale island, first of all thank you for visiting us and of course really sorry about your disappointment, which anyway we wish to shortly comment on, during this time of covid that you really emphasize unfortunately hospitality industry is really in difficult situation that's why we suggest you to double check how much you have been charge for your beach staying by your agent, because from our side we can confirm you that the rates we are giving to local travel operators are super convenient, so....

regarding our food we are really surprised, we normally provide per each a la carte meal, five different starters, same number of main courses and selection of fruits and desserts, tagliatelle, fusilli and spaghetti with different freshly home made sauces are not according to us virtually the same things, especially in a place with italian managment where pasta is a staple

at the end what make us more sorry is that in your four days of staying we can not read any comment about our natural environment during that season full of flowers birds and so many colorful butterflies
best regards