4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$332
Trip.comUS$332
TravelocityUS$229
eDreamsUS$229
CheapTicketsUS$229
All reviews low tide tractor ride beach banda colobus monkeys catch of the day the penthouse seafood octopus little piece of heaven mombasa airport salt water beautiful beach sea view water sports our honeymoon meal times indian ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

The hotel and the facilities are very nice, the island is amazing. Room very big and comfortable with ocean view. Food was very very nice during the dinner and breakfast. We tried chapateria only once for lunch and we both felt very bad right after it, stomach problems. The staff is very friendly and always try to help in every situation. Very nice also the super early breakfast. The things that should be improved are first of all the animation; there aren't enough activities to do both when it is sunny and specially when it is raining. We got 3 days of rain out of 1 week and we had to stay in the room all day long without even the wifi connection because it didn't arrive to our room. Another thing is the transportation to the island. When it's high tide it's good because you use a boat. But when there's low tide they bring you with a tractor that trembles a lot and it seems like you're going to fall down soon. Also, when the tides are changing we had to wait 30 min to get a transportation. If you want to do the safari I highly recommend to at least do it for 1 night. 1 day it's not worth it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TheSands-Kenya, Front Office Manager at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Hello Anna,
Thank you for finding time from your probably busy schedule to put down your experience at Chale Island. We appreciate that your general stay at our resort was good albeit the few hiccups you observed.
We are sorry that during your stay with us it was the rainy season in Kenya. We can assure you that if the rain was within our sphere of influence, we would have gladly stopped it.
All in all we apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us and we hope that your next vacations with us will not be punctuated with a little rain here and there. Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

This is definitely island paradise. We visited the island for a wedding and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The island, beach and wildlife were amazing. Sunrises over the sea did not disappoint. The food was fresh, abundant and delicious. The staff were all very helpful. The rooms are lovely, but basic. We stayed in a Banda right on the beach, which was worth it! Although this is a 4 star resort, there are elements of ruffing it. You’ll get this idea as you drive in and realize how far off the beaten path you are.

The snorkeling was awesome, but recommend you bring your own mask and snorkel as the rental equipment was in poor condition and distracted from the experience.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
TheSands-Kenya, Front Office Manager at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Hello,
Thank you for your positive feedback after your amazing stay with us. We appreciate the effort you took to write these beautiful and encouraging words about Chale Island. We must say that we also derived a lot of pleasure out of playing host to you. We are sorry for the slight inconvenience you encountered during your snorkeling trip. We promise to take the right measures to correct that wrong so that the next time you visit us, you enjoy your vacation to the maximum.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

My partner and I came to stay at The Sands At Chale Island for 5 nights at the end of August following a week of Safari following our week long safari. We arrived exhausted so the quiet peacefulness of Chale Island was exactly what we were looking for.

Food - We were half board, the breakfast and dinners were both lovely. Fresh pasta and fish every day along with plenty of other options for dinner. Breakfast was a little 'samey' each day but I'm not too sure what the hotel could offer other than an eggs station, fresh fruit and pastries! Overall the food was great and the chef Timothy was particularly friendly.

Staff - All of the staff were exceptionally friendly. The hotel manager made an effort to engage in conversation any time he walked past. Esmily in the Spa was amazing as well as Timothy in the restaurant (mentioned above!).

The Island offers a very restful and peaceful stay. It has a number of clean pools, beautiful beach & the Banda we stayed in was just perfect. Our cleaner was also exceptional.

Before visiting The Sands At Chale Island, I would be certain that this is the kind of holiday you are after. My partner and I are used to quite active holidays and 5 days following a safari was just perfect, however had we visited under different circumstances we may have found ourselves with cabin fever!

My only criticism, if I could have one, is that one day my partner and I decided we would leave the island to explore Diani beach. We went to reception and were told we must book a taxi before leaving the island in order to be collected on the other side. The receptionist told us the cost of a taxi would be 6,000 Kenyan Shilling (equivillent of about £50 or 55 Euros). We felt this was a little extortionate for what would essentially be a 30 minute drive into Diani beach and back! The driver did stick around in Diani beach where we had some lunch, so maybe for around about 2 hours - however we didn't ask for this and would have happily arranged a time for a pick up. We also mentioned to the taxi driver we would get some lunch in Diani and he was quite persistent that we should eat at The Sands sister hotel in Diani beach... it felt a little bit 'pushy' and that we were being exploited slightly.

Overall, you're looking for a hotel/getaway where you can truly unwind, relax & switch off The Sands At Chale Island is most definitely your place. If you're looking for somewhere you can explore, try different restaurants, then it probably isn't for you.

We loved the 5 days we spent there, it really is beautiful.

Tip: Definitely stay in a Banda rather than the hotel! We were so pleased we had booked a Banda!

Room tip: Go for the Banda rather than the hotel.. it's definitely worth the extra!
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hey,
Receive many regards and lots of love from the Chale island fraternity. We thank you for squeezing time out of your probably busy schedule to express your general experience at our breathtaking Island to the world. We must admit that we are moved by the heaps of compliments you have deposited on us. We have to tell you that it is reviews like these that tremendously boost our morale and compels us to give all we have got. It stirs the impetus in us.
Chale Island is happy to have hosted you and we appreciate the opportunity you presented us with to be at your service.
Even though your vacation with us was generally a success, it saddens us to know that the taxi incident almost ruined it for you. We are apologetic for any inconveniences caused but we believe that it was just a combination of both misunderstanding and miscommunication because the taxis that carry our guests are independent and we don’t reserve the rights whatsoever of negotiating prices on their behalf. Anyway we are sorry for that.
We cannot say good bye without mentioning that we would like to host you again in our facility, so it is our prayer that you will revisit us soon enough so that we can proceed from where we left. Karibu.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

I struggled a bit writing this review as I wanted and expected to fall in love with this island. I had been following Chale on social media for awhile and was so excited to finally get there but there’s good and not so good that may help others with expectations when booking and staying at Chale. First, the good. The views.... breathtaking and amazing. There is no doubt that this island has some stunning views of both the beaches but also if you walk around there’s other water areas that are just as beautiful. Also good was the staff. Everyone was quite nice and mostly accommodating. The calmness of the island and feeling of seclusion was also quite nice. The Swahili/Kenyan decor was also welcome. One reason I chose Chale was because I wanted a more authentic experience rather than a high end resort I could find in the Caribbean and the decor added to that. The neither good nor bad would be the food. The food quality was good. I’ve never had such fresh vegetables and fruit in my life like I had at Chale. However, after 3 days the food was redundant. I don’t know how they can make that better but I can see how some may not be happy with minimal choices. The not so good. While the beach Banda we stayed in had fantastic views, it was not as clean or comfortable as it could be. The showers had wooden floors which harbored smell and what I would assume bacteria and the bathrooms in general often had a sewer smell. This may be due to being an island I’m not sure. The bed was not very comfortable and there were no blankets, just a simple white sheet and evenings did get a bit cool during our visit. The grounds had some very nice areas but also some very unkept areas such as flower beds with dead plants. While I realize Chale is an island there were swarms of ants in food/bar areas that should’ve been taken care of and the pillows outside our beach Banda on the Swahili bed smelled like animal urine. The lack of attention to small details in these areas made Chale feel more rustic than luxurious. In addition to this, I found the bar menu lacking especially in the cocktail arena and quality of spirits offered. The other thing lacking on Chale is entertainment. There is a schedule but it was not adhered to. My husband and I were looking forward to live music one evening and sadly there was none. No explanation or anything. We often returned to our room early and just went to sleep. Last the most annoying thing I experienced was the lack of water available that did not have a charge. Admittedly, I drink a lot of water personally. When I’m in a warm climate I tend to drink more. After all, water is good for you. I did not appreciate being charged for water (even when filling aluminum bottles we brought with us) outside of meals. You are provided two bottles in your room daily, and if you wanted more you paid for it. This is ludicrous. Water should be free and available to guests at all times. Increase your per day charge to cover the cost or add a daily resort fee. In conclusion, I’m glad I was able to experience Chale but what it did teach me is that I am not one who likes roughing it very much. Chale is rustic, so if you’re looking for a high end resort you will not find it here. What you will find is small crowds which provided a more relaxing atmosphere and amazing scenery. Because of this I don’t recommend or not recommend Chale. I think it’s a personal choice as to whether this style of resort suits your personal needs or preferences.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TheSands-Kenya, Front Office Manager at The Sands at Chale Island, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

good morning from chale island and thank your time writing so detailed review about your 4 nights staying, thank you for your compliment about our location your general good impression about your holiday, we would like to make a small comment about your not good point

- our daily food is based on fresh local product very much appreciated from you as well as fruits and vegetables, plus catch of the day fish and of course live cooking home made pasta and selection of meat like beef,chicken pork etc., it is a bit difficoult for us well to understand what you really mean with "redundant" kenya fruits offer mango,paw paw, bananas,pineapple,oranges,avocados, sweet melon, water melon and all the rest of tropical fruits selection so not easy for us too to introduce something different when we already offer everything that the land can produce....
- you saying that in a tropical warm country you drink a lot of water..you were following us a lot in social media so you should be aware that daily drinking water we include during meals and 1 bottle of it per person per day in the room, at night you felt cold and was just enough to ask from reception and we were going to provide for you a blanket, as the entertainment weekly program is well displayed in our app at the link "chale today" and as well displayed on the reception board on daily basis for example live music it is every Friday evening from 19,00 hours on Tuesday acrobatic shown Thursday Masai market plus snake show, Saturday giriama dancing and Sunday Masai market once again so 4 times per week evening entertainment
- our garden takes most of our property and we try very hard to well maintain, the "dead" plant you have seen are not actually dead but just missing leaves due we host permanently on the island colonies of different vegetarian monkeys that our guests normally extremely like and that sometimes unfortunately can even pee from trees on our head as well giving funny feelings but as well very exotic once,
just to conclude and hope that you will visit us again we do not want create fake expectations our product it is not market as luxury, we are 4 stars resort.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

This is the perfect island paradise getaway if you want something pure bliss with a stunning beach & tranquil waters then this is the place. The food is amazing all fresh & the catch of the day is something else. Also really great drinks the wine is good quality even on the All Inclusive package & the cocktails are all great quality. We stayed in the Penthouse which was amazing stunning views and the hot tub is just the cherry on the cake. All the staff were very friendly even the manager greeting you personally & making sure you are having a great stay. Thanks once again to all the staff who make it amazing & I would definitely recommend a massage in the spa great experience it's like you are surrounded by the rainforest. If you want peace, relaxation & great food then this is perfect.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hello and thank you for all the sweet compliments you shed our way. we feel so elated that you gave us an opportunity to serve you and we must say, the pleasure was all ours. It is heartwarming to lean that your vacation was successful and that our efforts and support contributed towards achieving this excellence.We are equally grateful that you could spare some of your time to positively comment about your stay with us.We so appreciate and we wish to host you again in the future during on of your vacation days. karibu