All reviews the owner dining room national park beautiful lake great food west cork fish beautiful hotel vagabond tour hidden gem his wife old world charm off the beaten path attention to detail small bar day trip wonderful place
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

There's a reason why this property consistently scores highly and that reason is they do everything right.

I made a booking only because my previous property would not allow me to check in aftwr 10:00pm. Given my flight was delayed from Manchester until 10:05pm that was going to be an issue.

I gave reception a call and said that given the distance from Cork airport it would be at leaat 1:00am before I arrived. "That's fine"

The weather was awful, cold, foggy and raining and arrived after 1:00am. I recieved a warm welcome from Neil who offered me a hot drink. We chatted briefly and then he took my bags and ahowed me my room. "Payment woild be ok in the morning"

I noticed atraight away that this place was homely, comfortably and really, really clean. The clean that your parents or granparents insist on when there are no kids in their house.

The room was well appointed, the bed was firm and extremely confirtable. No duvet here, but sheets and blankets made for an extremely comfortable and warm sleep.

In the morning I woke to beautiful views across the lake and to the hills.

I tended to emails (wifi beat in public areas) and went to breakfast.

They have recently received awards for their breakfast and I coild see why. Good variety of cereals, juices and breads, with cooked food made to order. The service was polite and efficient and the breakfast very tasty. You have to try the homemade breads and Greek yoghurt.

My only disappointment was yhat I was only there a few hours.

If you are on tour or walking in the area you should definitely stay here.

Bravo to wveryone involved.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
GouganeBarraHotel, Daughter at Gougane Barra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Dear NormanFriendly,

Thank you for your lovely review. I have passed on your compliments to the rest of team here, especially to Neil. We are delighted you enjoyed our location and views from the hotel. We are also delighted to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. The housekeeping team were happy to hear your compliments about the cleanliness of the room. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, next time for more than a few hours!

Jane.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I stayed in this hotel as part of a group cycle trip in West Cork. It is a lovely hotel in a very scenic location in a valley beside a lake. The rooms are very good and the evening dinner and breakfast were delicious. Very welcoming staff too.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Dear fmc--1-2_3_4,

Thank you for your lovely review. I have passed on your compliments to the rest of the team here. We are delighted you enjoyed our location, rooms and food. We are also glad you enjoyed our service. We hope you liked the rest of your time in West Cork.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.
Jane

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is situated in a gorgeous location right opposite a lake and right next door to a beautiful forrest. It was also a perfect location to explore the beautiful Beara Peninsula landscape, The family that runs the hotel are fantastic. We felt very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the owners, Neil and Katy. Katy is a fabulous cook and we really enjoyed all of our meals there. They wre also very helpful with recommendations of where to go on our excursions. We will definitely return should we get back to this part of Ireland one day!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trish S
GouganeBarraHotel, Daughter at Gougane Barra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Dear Trish S,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed our setting, and got the chance to explore Gougane Barra National Forest Park and the Beara Peninsula. I have passed on your wonderful compliments to my parents, Neil and Katy about their service, recommendations and food.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day,
Jane and the team at Gougane Barra Hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

We stayed at the Gougane Barra Hotel on the 4th night of a fabulous Vagabond/Driftwood tour last week. It was one of the outstanding highlights of the week for me....in a week filled with wonderful moments and sights. This is a small, charming 5th generation run hotel in a perfect setting. It is cozy, warm and inviting, run by friendly folks who know what they are doing. The food is locally sourced, impeccably prepared and served... and was a true delight. The dinner prepared by Katy was outstanding; Neil's recommendation of the West Cork Black Cask whiskey was excellent. Breakfast could not have been better. This was a memorable stay in an unforgettable place. It's a memory I will always treasure.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank 413Stephanie
GouganeBarraHotel, Daughter at Gougane Barra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear 413Stephanie,

Thank you for your lovely review and photo. We are thrilled we were one of the highlights of your Vagabond / Driftwood tour, we hope you enjoyed the rest of it. We are delighted you enjoyed our service and food; particularly breakfast. We believe in sourcing our food as locally as possible. I have passed on your compliments to my parents, Neil and Katy, and to the rest of the team here. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Jane and the Gougane Barra Hotel team.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

What a fabulous setting. We received a warm welcome and the dinning room was beautiful.
Fantastic tasty food of a high standard and super quick and very friendly service
Well will defiantly be back
We loved this place

Stayed: June 2018

Dear Paula L,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed our setting, dining room, service and food during Sunday Lunch. We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Jane and the Gougane Barra Hotel team.