Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 June 2015

Tummy aches from laughing, but tummy smiles from amazing food. Roy and Karen are ideal hosts, with coffee pronto in the morning, and ready with stories, suggestions, solutions...Howler monkeys mingle with morning muses, walking "the hill" to the beach became a treasured workout, by choice, since rides were offered. But please, we don't want this place to change. Go if you are open to the experience, and leave it as you found it! With much appreciation, Carrie and Jill. 2014

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank J A
Reviewed 20 June 2015

I had a life changing experience in this haven of nature. The cabin where I stayed was amazing. My coffee and breakfast was ready every morning. The grounds are kept very well. I enjoyed sitting in the common area listening to Roy's stories and laughing. Karen was a sweetheart. I loved being so close to the beach, listening to the rain and being at peace. I can't wait to go back.

Room tip: Any room you get will be great.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank cplara
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Wonderful, 'away from it all' cabins set back from the beaches, set amongst the forest, just 15 mins from San Juan Del Sur.

Wake up to the sound of howler monkeys and parrots in the trees, have an amazing breakfast while watching the hummingbirds zip around the freshly watered flowers within the grounds.

The setting is ideal for anyone wanting to wind down and relax, and the 2 beaches are both easily walkable (although Marty is happy to drive you there and collect you if you prefer). One beach has great waves and a small but vibrant surf 'scene' (although a quiet patch on the beach is just a 3 minute walk away) while the other beach is virtually a private beach with very gentle waves lapping the shore.

But the hosts, Roy, Karen and Marty are the real highlight of any trip to Empalme a las Playas. Karen simply cannot do enough for you, from advising on trips, where to go, who to travel with, what to see etc, she is a mine of useful information and will definitely help you get the most out of your visit. When my transfer to Managua airport didn't turn up on time (my booking error.. oops), Karen jumped in and in a flash had organised a replacement transfer (at half the price I'd booked from the UK) to get me to my flight home in time. She really did save the day!! Roy is the perfect host to chat to.... so many stories that had me laughing for days.. he's a star, and Marty's easy, laid back approach are all the perfect mix for a great team. I really did feel like part of the family!

So for a nature loving, chillout beach break where you can feel really welcome, this place will be very hard to beat.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Dave G
Reviewed 22 April 2015

Great place to get peace and quiet from city life.The owners are really great. Breakfast was amazing. The property is about a 10 minutes drive from Playa Maderas (the owners will drive you there) and it is about a 5 minute walk from Playa Marsella. There is a really good restaurant right across the street called Bar Gaby. The cabana we stayed at was pretty sweet. There is no a.c. but the fans were just enough ventilation for the night. If you want to be with nature this is a place to be. You will be hearing howler monkeys and birds all night. Its pretty great.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ambrosia337
Reviewed 10 March 2015

Arriving to Roy and Karen's, after a longer than expected drive from the airport, was very refreshing from the moment Roy came to meet us at the car and welcome us. We were 2 couples travelling throughout Nicaragua and we were only staying a short time at each destination. The day we arrived to Empalme had started at 5am leaving from Little Corn Island and we arrived to Roy and Karen's at about 7pm (very long travel day.) They took us too our 2 cabana's which were very large and spacious. Very comfortable and had everything we needed. We freshened up and then came back to the common area to find another 2 couples that were there along with Roy, Karen and their son Marty. After introductions etc. we felt like we were visiting family. We chatted, played darts, liars dice, it was just what we needed. They made us feel at home and were helpful in getting us anything we needed as well as helping to arrange rides etc. Roy took us to show us the Howler monkeys and sloths that were on the property as well as over to the surfer beach for lunch. Breakfasts were great and plentiful. We learned about putting peanut butter on our pancakes along with syrup, (yummm won't have them any other way now.) We were only there for 2 nights but would have loved for it to be longer....all the good things that are in reviews are true and I feel like I would just be reiterating what has already been stated. I have not one negative thing to say about our stay with Roy, Karen and Marty. When we come back to this area we will be sure to come back here to stay. Thanks again for everything, Dawn, Jim, Mel and Bob.

Date of stay: February 2015