“Express Tour”

The Gibbon Experience
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Huay Xai
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Overall I really enjoyed the express gibbon experience. Our guides Pad Thai and Sithong were awesome and very helpful. The zip lines were great especially the longer ones on the second day. The large treehouse #2 was unbelievable and worth the whole experience to stay in. The views were beautiful from the tree house and we could see monkeys (not gibbons) in the morning. They served great food in large quantities.
Downside: We had a hard time sleeping because there were rats scurring around the tree house all night which could be improved. Also the company claims all over the place that they spend most of the proceeds on the environment and local people but show no evidence of this from start to finish. Signing their waiver is basically signing your life away if anything goes wrong. I believe it's way overpriced for Laos standards but still worth it.

Pro tip: if you want beer you have to buy it/pack it ahead of time

Date of experience: April 2018
"first aid kit"
"the kitchen"
"out of this world"

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I did the waterfall tour and had an amazing time with great people.
The tour is well organized, and definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Never done ziplining before but I guess those will be hard to beat. The scenery is literally mind blowing and so are the treehouses.
I had some little doubts about safety, price worthy and my 3 weeks post surgery thumb(non-dominant hand), but it all worked out just perfectly fine and I felt safe at all times and the quite high price is definitely worth it! I highly recommend to join this adventure in Laos’ jungle!

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I can honestly say I was extremely nervous about this trip and almost did not book it numerous times. We travelled with another family of 4 kids ages 8-13, whom are Most afraid of heights and have not tried to zip line before.
(We had house #1 biggest house. Good for a big group )

Consensus : BEST TIME EVER

*Bring lots of bug spray
*Don’t worry about food..... So much& good
*No need to bring extra snacks
**Bring extra toilet paper
*Gravol for the ride there. (Few car sick people. ) Ride is long and rough, especially if it rained. (Scariest part for me)
*They have whiskey no need for beer as it gets warm anyway. (Plus if your willing to pay$$ they can will arrange for some to be brought in )
*Bring flashlight for night and cards for night activity.

Oh ya and bring TP and Bugspray (afterbite/benedryl ) lol

We heard and saw the Gibbons 3 separate
Times. Apparently this is not common and we felt very fortunate. Was def. the highlight for me. I had already convinced myself that this would not happened as we had 4 noisy kids with us. The jungle noises were incredible ( earplugs for night) didn’t sleep much.

Just do it, honestly pay whatever you need to get here worth every penny.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank JetShark117
Reviewed 26 March 2018

We went on the Gibbon Experience 1 week ago (in mid-March), which turned out to be a great choice because the weather was ideal. I was a little nervous. We have 2 young children (a daughter aged nearly 8 and a son aged 10) but both had been zip lining before as well as hiking, so we felt relatively comfortable with their ability to do this experience. We chose the classic because it just seemed to fit with what we wanted and the level of difficulty for our kids. It was the perfect amount of time and suited us perfectly. We packed the night before, making sure to include insect repellant and sunscreen, as well as the necessary clothing. A long sleeved top came in handy for the tuk-tuk ride there - as you are out in the open and it does get a little breezy after being in the back of a van for nearly 3 hours.

The ride there was as you would expect. A little fumy and bumpy - but again, this is all outlined in the overview. We packed some extra water in camel sacks in our backpacks - and this was a good move. It get's thirsty! We also packed our hiking boots which probably aren't that necessary - although helpful in keeping ankles safe in the terrain. We began walking from the village and soon were having a picnic lunch of egg and salad baguettes at the first picnic spot. Early on in the hike, one of the guides stopped to talk with me and to check on our kids. He was really interested in them and incredibly helpful. My husband and I resolved to ask if he could be our guide as we got going on the zip lines. The hike is not easy, but it's not hard either. There is a lot of uphill climbing, but the paths have all been clearly marked and etched into the landscape. My kids made it to the village after about 1 hour, where we convened to find out which tree houses we would get and who would be our guides. While my kids played a local version of bocce, my husband and I joined the rather casual allocation of tree houses. As a family of 4 with young kids, we elected to stay in the self-contained treehouse 3 (it sleeps 4 people and is the smallest of them all). We were more worried the impact our children would make on other travelers when we made this decision, and it turned out to be ideal. Other treehouses sleep 6 up to 10 people, and you may find yourself sharing. From here, we met our guides (2 per group) and put on our harnesses for the first of the ziplining experiences.

You will not be disappointed with the thrill. The ziplining is fabulous, and with our guide - Mor - we felt incredibly safe and well looked after. He even came out to rescue our kids at several times because they could not quite make it to the end. All in all - he made our experience.

After about 2 more hours of trekking uphill and zip lining, we got to tree house number 3. Some things you are not really aware of is that your tree house is not really yours. You will be visited by many of the other groups and your guides stay with you for most of the time (except sleeping ours). We welcomed Mor and Ju into our treehouse and they ate with us and played cards with the kids. It was great to see them interacting so well - we really felt Mor enjoyed our company. It was fabulous to have a cold water shower that night overlooking the jungle canyons and the meals served were delicious (although a little spicy for the kids). We slept really well under the stars. Mor did an emergency evacuation procedure with us - something I heard not many other groups did - and then left us to our devices. We put our backpacks inside our mosquito nets (to keep them away from rats) and slept beautifully (8:30 am until 6:30 am).

The next day saw us visiting all the other treehouses in the park. We went back to treehouse number 3 for lunch and then continues on. We didn't really see any other groups as we trekked - as they rotated us so that we would not be crowding onto the treehouses. The zip line to Treehouse 5 was a memory we will keep forever. Mor took our son's GoPro and did a video for us that showcased the heights and exhilaration of the final few rides. Incredible!

On the last day, we were brought breakfast and began our journey home. Going back was certainly easier than getting there. We rendezvoused back at the village and then stopped on the way back for lunch at a local restaurant before getting back to Huay Xai. There were showers available at the main office, and we were allowed to keep our bags there for the duration.

What made our trip? Definitely the weather and our guide, Mor. He was just incredible, and a treasure to the company. This will be an experience you will never forget - yes, I had my heart in my throat as my daughter leaps out onto zip lines that traversed canyons 350 meters deep - but never once felt she was unsafe.

Tips - bring lots of water if traveling with a small family. Keep packing to a minimum (especially if you are also carrying for someone else like my husband and I did). I packed some preserved milk and cereal to give to our kids - as they are early breakfast risers and I like milk in my tea. Maybe pack some healthy snacks too - like cereal bars - but make sure to pack them away at night (there are rats!). Don't bring alcohol! Bring a GoPro! We also packed a few card games - UNO and Yahtzee, as well as some books for the kids to read. Chat with the guides and find someone you mix well with. If they do a good job - tip them well at the end! They deserve it.

Lean back and relax - the scenery is breathtaking and if you are lucky - you might get to see some Gibbons!

Date of experience: March 2018