“This Restaurant no longer exsists”
Review of The Phatt Chef - CLOSED

The Phatt Chef
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This Restaurant no longer exsists in Clarens. It closed earlier this year. Apparently moved to the Drakensberg area.

Date of visit: July 2014

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Simon and Megan Kerr are friendly and welcoming hosts!
The "chef" manages to tantalize the taste buds with an array of speciality dishes and complimenting sauces, jams or preserves.
Megan has a great sense of humour and never allows your wine glass to run empty.......my kind of hosts and friends, always a delight on any evening at the Phatt Chef.

Date of visit: January 2014
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We celebrated our Christmas Lunch at the Phatt Chef again this year. We came back for the second year in a row, and it did not disappoint! We had a buffet lunch with a huge variety of starters, mains and deserts. It was all very fresh, beautifully presented and exceptionally tasty. The service was very friendly and efficient and a great time was had by everyone. As a restaurant in general, the quality of the food at the Phatt Chef is outstanding. No wonder it is recognised as one of the top 5 steakhouses in South Africa. The attention to detail is wonderful and the ingredients are interesting and always fresh. The prices are average to high, but completely worth it. The wine list is great too. This restaurant comes very highly recommended!

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay in Clarens 3 months in advance. My husband asked around from people that had been to Clarens, which were the best places to visit- and Phat Chef came up in 2 occasions. So eager to visit this highly rated restaurant, we booked 2 months in advance.
Anyway, we arrived at the Restaurant (which has moved). Anyway, it was basically empty. We did not let this deter us. We seated ourselves at a 2 seater, then got asked to move to another 2 seater right next to it. Bizarre. Anyway, the menu looked good, but the food arrived and well, it was not good. As a steakhouse, you would expect them to know how to cook steak. My husbands requested Medium/rare with an avo& Dijon sauce. When they dropped off the steak, we were told straight up, if its not cooked enough- pls call and they would cook it more ??. The steak was rare on the inside, but burnt on the outside, and the extra Avo&dijion sauce was an whole Avo cut up and places on top of the steak. ?? Then, my beef Wellington with Olive tapenade, was beef Wellington with olives thrown on. I'm not sure if he chef knows what olive tapenade is, or what makes up a sauce. The atmosphere was cold and boring. The room was even cold. The whole night was dismal. Seriously I would have proffered the Spur over this meal. We can not understand how this place had so many positive reviews? What happened. Anyway, we chuckled about it, then left. Never to return or offer endorsement if anyone asks us.

Date of visit: September 2013
3  Thank Genelb
Phatt_Chef_Clarens, Owner at The Phatt Chef, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

It was with some surprise that I read your review on Trip advisor quoted here with my comments in CAPITALS (but trust me I'm not shouting)

"What happened"
A number of statements you make are not quite true and so this throws questionable motives onto the revue, such as you only booked 4 weeks in advance not the 3 months you claim.

YOU were made aware that we had moved all our correspondence and web pages. The restaurant might well have been empty when you arrived but someone has to be first in but certainly not when you ordered or left the restaurant as we served 14 of our 16 tables on that particular Saturday evening, hardly empty.

AT THE ENTRANCE to the restaurant are 2 signs requesting that you "Please wait to be seated", the reasoning behind this simple request being that you do not know which tables have been specifically requested or pre allocated to who. Often we have diners who have a drink in the bar and then move through to their allocated table. If you just take any table that suits you, it could cause mayhem with drink bills etc

THE REASON for the offer to cook a steak if it is too pink is that on a 300g fillet it can tend to be a bit too med rare in the middle as the steak is very thick cut (We do not butterfly our fillets as this can make then tough because you end up cutting with the grain instead of against it if you do not know how to cut a butterflied steak.

OUR AVO & Dijon mustard sauce is exactly that: cubes of fresh creamy avo folded into an imported Dijon mustard.

Our menu says "Classical favourite beef fillet 200g BUT spread with olive tapenade (normally the classic is spread with mushroom duxcelles and chicken liver pate) wrapped in puff pastry served on a rosti with an olive and tomato jus (this is the sauce that is served on top of the Wellington after cooking made up of tomato purée, Beef demi-glacé, whole pitted olives, the pan juices from the fillet and red wine cooked to a thin sauce or jus..pronounced jew)" The tapenade is on the inside, the olive sauce is on the outside.

I HOPE this clears up the misunderstanding of how we serve or Beef Wellington at The Phatt Chef.

THERE WAS a fire in the fire place and no one else mentioned the cold. A quiet secluded table is romantic to some, but could be seen as isolated to others if you have no conversation with your dinner partner only texting all night.

Strange how whenever staff or management or owners asked how your meal was you made no comment adversely. even when I personally asked you if everything was to your satisfaction and you replied All Good, even after I personally asked you about your steak and you replied in the affirmative.

Not only do revues that are not entirely true aggravate and hurt us in the industry but even more so when you refuse to own up to your so called dissatisfaction when at least 3 staff members have been to check on your welfare and you say that everything is good!! I & my staff will bend over backwards to sort a problem out BUT we are not mind readers..you have to tell us or shut up and don't come back...you won't be very welcome if we recognize you.
Kind Regards
Simon Kerr

Reviewed 21 August 2013

The very phat chef that ran this place is so rude! In 2012 We sat in stunned silence as he went into a rage at customers after they asked to send back a meal. Now that I have visited Clarens again, I see the restaurant premises has been taken over by another place. Locals told me it closed down because his reputation is so bad that no-one other than tourists would go there.

Date of visit: August 2013