Protea Hotel Clarens
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Thendele Hutted camp(uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park)
  • Breakfast included
Harrismith Inn(Harrismith)
  • Pool
All reviewslovely hoteldeluxe roomrecommend this hotel to anyonebuffet breakfastwithin walking distancelarge varietyrooms are smallpublic areasmountain viewrestaurants and shopscomfortable stayundercover parkingthe location is perfectart galleriessurrounding mountainsgolden gate national parkmaluti mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Rode on the adventure motor bike from Jhb. Awesome trip.
The hotels location is perfect. Staff are helpful. Food was perfect. Perfect for a quick getaway. Ambience in Clarence is different to other getaways.
Mountain bike. River rafting. Walking. Drinking and chilling. A bucket list venue.
We are going back in January. Same hotel. It's perfect. But the pool is tooooo close to the hotel. No privacy.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Dear deboraha25

Thank you for taking your road-trip out to Clarens.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed our location and that my TEAM were helpful.
I know that my kitchen brigade will be very happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us.

Thank you for your comment about our pool - if you are looking for a little adventure and fun, Clarens has a wonderful dam that is well worth the walk and offers beautiful views...and a little more privacy from other hotel GUESTS.

Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

We decided to pop away to Clarens for a last minute getaway and booked this hotel 2 days before the time. It was one of the very few modern places to stay in Clarens. The service was really good and the staff are all very friendly. We had a problem with our safe in the room and they sent someone up to fix it in minutes of the call. Breakfast was really lovely and the pool area looks out over the mountains. The hotel is very centrally situated so you could walk everywhere from there. All in all a great stay and will definitely go back.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 476shannond

Dear 476shannond

I am so happy to hear that you decided to take that last minute getaway! Everyone needs a break and Clarens is a beautifully serene place to do just that.

Thank you for your wonderful review and all your positive comments about your experience with us,

Reviewed 18 November 2016

5 Nights at the Protea Clarens, although enjoyable, was marred by repeated problems with door key cards not working. Bar personnel could also be better trained to be more professional in their work.
My take on their toiletries - soap/shampoo/hand cream - is that it has a distinctly masculine scent, not at all appealing to females!
Other than this, it was a pleasure staying here in this modern hotel (with a tour group) and will use the hotel again in future.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Dear 123Maxie123

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience with the key card - the magnetic strips are relatively sensitive.

Thank you for your comment regarding the service you experienced in the bar, my Food and Beverage Manager will appreciate the invaluable feedback and realign training to ensure future GUESTS experience excellence.

The amenities are unisex and need to cater for both gents and ladies.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed Clarens,
Thank you again for sharing your review with us,

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying at the hotel over the weekend. The hotel is in the perfect location and has secure parking and wifi.The food was excellent. Dinner was superb with an A La Carte menu. Breakfast was good with an amazing pancake machine. Rooms are small but with very comfortable beds. Would recommend the hotel anytime.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndreanaOchse
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

The rooms were comfortable and neat. Breakfast was big with a very nifty pancake making machine, which were liked by the whole group. Staff members however were not very friendly and helpful. The way they answer when phoned from the room was very unprofessional and blunt. Did not had dinner, but friends of ours did and regretted not going with us to the restaurants in town for the evening.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2016

Dear Adri H

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering and more importantly the pancake machine - I hope it brought back childhood memories.

My sincerest apologies for the unprofessional experience you had with the Restaurant team - I will address your concerns with my TEAM to ensure remedial action is taken.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us,

I hope that you will visit us again in the very near future,