Protea Hotel Clarens
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Thendele Hutted camp(uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park)
  • Breakfast included
Harrismith Inn(Harrismith)
  • Pool
All reviewslovely hoteldeluxe roomrecommend this hotel to anyonebuffet breakfastwithin walking distancelarge varietyrooms are smallpublic areasmountain viewrestaurants and shopscomfortable stayundercover parkingthe location is perfectart galleriessurrounding mountainsgolden gate national parkmaluti mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

We decided to pop away to Clarens for a last minute getaway and booked this hotel 2 days before the time. It was one of the very few modern places to stay in Clarens. The service was really good and the staff are all very friendly. We had a problem with our safe in the room and they sent someone up to fix it in minutes of the call. Breakfast was really lovely and the pool area looks out over the mountains. The hotel is very centrally situated so you could walk everywhere from there. All in all a great stay and will definitely go back.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 476shannond
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Dear 476shannond

I am so happy to hear that you decided to take that last minute getaway! Everyone needs a break and Clarens is a beautifully serene place to do just that.

Thank you for your wonderful review and all your positive comments about your experience with us,

Reviewed 18 November 2016

5 Nights at the Protea Clarens, although enjoyable, was marred by repeated problems with door key cards not working. Bar personnel could also be better trained to be more professional in their work.
My take on their toiletries - soap/shampoo/hand cream - is that it has a distinctly masculine scent, not at all appealing to females!
Other than this, it was a pleasure staying here in this modern hotel (with a tour group) and will use the hotel again in future.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Dear 123Maxie123

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience with the key card - the magnetic strips are relatively sensitive.

Thank you for your comment regarding the service you experienced in the bar, my Food and Beverage Manager will appreciate the invaluable feedback and realign training to ensure future GUESTS experience excellence.

The amenities are unisex and need to cater for both gents and ladies.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed Clarens,
Thank you again for sharing your review with us,

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying at the hotel over the weekend. The hotel is in the perfect location and has secure parking and wifi.The food was excellent. Dinner was superb with an A La Carte menu. Breakfast was good with an amazing pancake machine. Rooms are small but with very comfortable beds. Would recommend the hotel anytime.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndreanaOchse
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

The rooms were comfortable and neat. Breakfast was big with a very nifty pancake making machine, which were liked by the whole group. Staff members however were not very friendly and helpful. The way they answer when phoned from the room was very unprofessional and blunt. Did not had dinner, but friends of ours did and regretted not going with us to the restaurants in town for the evening.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
LeeAnnBClarens, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2016

Dear Adri H

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering and more importantly the pancake machine - I hope it brought back childhood memories.

My sincerest apologies for the unprofessional experience you had with the Restaurant team - I will address your concerns with my TEAM to ensure remedial action is taken.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us,

I hope that you will visit us again in the very near future,

Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Needed an overnight in Clarens and this looked handy. The hotel is walking distance to the attractions on the square and has off street. parking.

We were greeted by a helpful bellhop who stacked luggage, efficient and friendly checkin. The popcorn and ice tea in the lobby is a nice quirky touch.

We were in the mountain facing rooms which have great views and cute balconies. Showers are in room which I find irksome but my traveling companion in the room next door likes this type of set up so its a matter of personal preference.

The Proteas always have decent beds, lined and pillows so no complaints there but the floors could have been cleaner my feet were dirty after walking around i bare feet.

As always two gripes which are more Protea then this specific hotel; wine list and breakfast, both need a serious overhaul.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndieChisholm

Dear AndieChisholm

Thank you for sharing with us your experience of the Protea Hotel by Marriott Clarens.

I am so glad that you enjoyed the popcorn and iced tea on arrival, it is always good to be reminded that life doesn't need to be serious and that something fun is all that we need to make a day that much better.

You are correct in saying that we have a great location, you can park and walk to all the attractions the village has to offer...and nothing beats the clean fresh air that Clarens has to offer.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your bed and could get a good nights' rest.
I will share your comments about the carpet with my House Keeping team to ensure that they take immediate action.

thank you again for sharing your experience with us.