“Good food but crowded”
Review of Polochar Inn

Polochar Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in South Uist
Reviewed 28 June 2018

It was a Bank Holiday Monday, my wife's birthday, and I therefore booked a table for two some considerable time in advance. Despite this, no table had been specifically reserved and we found ourselves tightly squeezed in. The staff did not seem particularly sympathetic to this and I got a distinct take it or leave it impression.
Having said that, the food was good, if slightly on the expensive side, although our enjoyment was limited for the reasons above.
I'd probably go there again if I was confident that it would not be as crowded, but I understand that it is usually very busy in the season.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Staying at a nearby B&B we booked a table in the restaurant for our evening meal. We had a drink in the bar while we selected our courses from a varied menu. There was a good selection of nice vegetarian food available and I had a steak. We shared a vegetarian Caesar salad to start which was delicious, the main course was well cooked and presented, my steak not over or under done with a selection of vegetable and the mandatory home made chips which were not greasy and delicious. My partner had a lovely vegetarian goats cheese risotto which was freshly cooked and so not stodgy. The service was excellent and friendly, the atmosphere quite relaxing. We had a lovely view across the water from the windows.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Comfortable hotel. Seafood stew was great. Service prompt and efficient. Dining room a bit noisy, Lovely view from the window. Noisy taxis late at night outside the bedroom window.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Just had dinner for the second night in a row. Haggis, neeps and tatties as a starter was delicious. Every plate of food at each course was perfect. Lovely attentive service from really nice young waitresses. Couldn’t have been better. Booked for tomorrow night too - when you find somewhere so good why look anywhere else!

Reviewed 5 June 2018

visited here with friends for a Sunday evening meal. I had the Monkfish Scampi which was nice and I finished it all, if i had to make any observations it would be that it may have been slightly overcooked. My partner had fish and chips and she found it rather oily but tasty all the same. The value for money was as expected for a restaurant in a location such as this, slightly above what you may expect but not unreasonable by any stretch. I wouldn't say we were disappointed with the meal otherwise we would have said, but I may not rush back. The staff on the other hand could not have done enough for you, we were served almost immediately, had a very short wait for the food. Overall the staff are very friendly and helpful and the place is clean and inviting with a great traditional feel.