“On the road to Cortona & in need of Lunch!”
Review of Ristorante La Nave

Ristorante La Nave
Price range: US$31 - US$51
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

I was driving to Cortona and decided to stop here as I had seen the Ristorante sign & thought it would be easier to park here for a quick bite. The restaurant wasn't open yet (12pm) but I was immediately let in by my very warm hosts. As there wasn't a lunch menu written down, I chose from their fixed menu lunch options... The Gnocchi with tomato, basil & Pork belly and a Pork Loin in white wine sauce. The Gnocchi was one of the most delicious I have ever had... Light pillows of Gnocchi that I'd love to eat again if I could. The Pork loin was delicious as well. I finished off with a Caffe (no dessert as I was so full!) & was surprised that it only came up to €11. My waiter spoke English very fluently and made me fee very welcome. I ate in an annexe room next to the main dining room & I suspect dinner is a more formal affair as the main dining room is quite elaborate notwithstanding the dozens of vases with plastic roses. Kitsch but the ambience seemed to work! A great find.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

We plan to return during our week here in Montecchio. It was excellent when we were here in 2012 and our friends assure us it is the same.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank Bob P
Reviewed 4 November 2014

Located in an unattractive building at the south-western end of the village of the same name, this is very much a locals' restaurant and for this reason doesn't even open its doors until 8pm (at which time it's pretty devoid of atmosphere as it doesn't really get going for another hour or so!).

The decor can best be described as kitsch, with a florists' worth of plastic flowers, but even so comes across as warm and 'sincere'. English isn't spoken.

I've mislaid my notes as to exactly what we ate but my recollection is that it was better than we expected, the highlight for me being a small square of Dauphinoise potato (or similar) that I was given as a taster after I'd finished my main meal. I also recollect that the menu outside bore absolutely no relation to the one inside!

I like to rate this a Good rating rather than Very Good, but it's better than Average so I've given them the benefit of the doubt...

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We found ourselves alone at 9pm on a Friday evening in June in the restaurant. The waitress was very obliging. The decor and surroundings were a little over the top but we were comfortable.
The Menu was varied but in retrospect we felt that we were a little "guided" as to our choice. The service was prompt but the offerings were below our expectations and totally out of alignment with the reviews we had read.
To be honest it was just palatable no more. We were tired from our journey and just paid and left with out causing a fuss.
Its on the road and there is parking on the side of the building and outdoor seating is available.
I wouldn't recommend this as its 10 min out of town.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We read about this restaurant in Trip Advisor and wanted a change of venue from Cortona and Arezzo. La Nave is listed as being in Castiglion Fiorintino but it is about 2 kms outside southwest on the Stress Provinciale 27. There were five in our group. We received a warm welcome from the owners. The surroundings were comfortable and had a Country House hotel feel. The smell of fish prevailed in the salon. We chose not to have fish, being so far from the coast. One very good starter was the beef carpaccio. The Tortellini was a large portion for starter , but had a very strong flavour and was a little dry. The salad and grilled vegetables for our vegetarian were lacking in variety. Three of us had lamb, we got three chops each which were small and overcooked. The chips were good. The Guinea Fowl was dry and inedible. The wine list was average. We skipped dessert and coffee and left hungry and very disappointed. There were two other tables occupied and a large table holding a party. The owners were very attentive to this table. The owners were a nice couple who tried to attend to everything but we didn't speak Italian and therefore could not express our dissatisfaction clearly.

Date of visit: April 2013