All reviews fruit trees private beach minute walk national park sea view free shuttle lush jungle santa marta stone path beautiful path juan david recommend villa hotel grounds family room coconut rice beach bar fresh fish
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Overall beautiful hotel and grounds within a short walk to the beach (but be aware the water is rough so swimming is near impossible). The pool and restaurant staff were friendly and the service was generally good although we waited more than an hour for our lunch order at the pool one day. Our only complaint about the otherwise lovely family room (#2) is the location directly above the kitchen which meant a lot of noise around 10 pm as we were going to bed before an early start the next morning to hike in Tayrona. Be warned that the hotel only provides a shuttle at 8:30 and onward so best to either take a private car or book your entrance tickets ahead of time.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank X187EMmichellew
Reviewed 1 April 2018

We only stayed one night but had a fabulous stay! Our room was a dream, and everything from check in, transportation bookings and check out was handled smoothly. Would certainly recommend to other travelers.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlenR343
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We only stayed one night, having booked at the last minute, but wished we had stayed longer. The setting is absolutely idyllic. Lush vegetation, flowers everywhere and bamboo huts nestled among it all. If you can, reserve a room on the upper level (each hut has two levels). We were lucky to stay in one that had a view of the garden, and where we could also see the gorgeous pool and a little bit of the the sea. The restaurant serves very nice food, we loved the ceviche and the robalo fish. The personnel was, as always in Colombia, very helpful and friendly. The “jungle walk” among the grounds, is very challenging in parts, there are three small but very steep inclines and descents with little to hang on to. If you don’t do the section past the bridge (not a bridge really but two cables and tree trunks to help cross a small river bed), the walk is absolutely fine. We had the joy of seeing many leafcutter ants at work. The beach is quite beautiful but not really swimmable, especially for children. If you are planning to visit Tayrona Park, you should plan on spending two nights in Villa Maria. The first day, you can enjoy all the hotel has to offer. The second day, you can leave early for an adventure to the park and return at the end of the day to an evening of luxury.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank FroginNewYork
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Nice Bungalows if you don’t book the family room, good dinner, okay beds, close to nature, quiet place but you can hear the road from some of the bungalows, air con, brilliant bath room, good taste of furniture and decoration in the rooms, breakfast is okay but no buffet

We initially booked the family room which is not worth it‘s money: on top of the kitchen, rather unmodern, noisy, older and not so nice furniture than in the newer bungalows/double-rooms. In the end the staff gave us another room after a longer discussion which was not available they said initially ...
The staff is slow: We and other guests got checked in after waiting almost 1 hr (at least we got a drink), I had to ask twice for the key as I would have liked to have a shower - all up the staff is not proactive at all and you can expect more for this price as many here said before. I felt a bit unwelcome after that experience and everything seems to be a bit unorganized there. The internet didn’t work at the beginning for the guest network and they didn’t give us the password for the reception network which was working...
The pool is not inviting as well as the whole pool area itself: Dirty at some point, plastic chairs, milky water.
To reach the dark beach you need to walk through a nice park and then through a tunnel with somewhat dirty water which looks like rather sewage.
The dining area looks like a old furniture wooden house, nothing nice compared to the bungalows. The whole „hotel“ area is okay, but from my point of view not impressive and absolutely overpriced.

I would not stay there again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I do not know how this place has such high reviews. The room was beautiful, the bed comfortable. But the food, as has been mentioned repetitively, is absurdly overpriced for the quality that you are getting. And heaven forbid you want water. (Other resorts in the area offer free filtered water, not here. You have to pay for small bottles, and, man, do they gouge you for it.)
The bar by the pool is a nice thought, but it was seldom staffed. Twice I had to walk all the way to the restaurant to get service. (Up and over and down stairs, past the front desk, down the rabbit hole, you get the picture.) I ordered the ceviche, which was fantastic on day one, but the next day it didn't taste as fresh and was disconcertingly warm. When I commented on the fact that the fish wasn't cold, the woman's response was, "Oh, well yesterday there was a lot more breeze." I mean, you've gotta give it to her. That takes some serious moxie.
There aren't enough poolside chairs, and people wake up before the sun even rises and stake claim to the lounge chairs. And they just leave their stuff there all day, so you never stand a chance of getting a chair. It's just not built for the capacity of the establishment.
Now for the kicker that left a bad taste in my mouth from the moment of our arrival. When we checked in I walked up to the concierge, while my boyfriend was dealing with our bags. I started to give him our information, and handed over our passports. I speak Spanish. My boyfriend doesn't. He immediately bypassed me once our bags were set down. He walked up to my boyfriend and held out his hand and said, "Senor." He didn't look at me. He didn't speak to me. It was like I was invisible. If I asked him a question he would look directly at my boyfriend and answer. When I missed breakfast one morning, my boyfriend asked to bring breakfast to the room for me because I was feeling under the weather. Later when we were walking down to the beach he said, "Senor, is she feeling better?" as I am standing right there. Fluent in your mother tongue, no less. It was despicable and sexist and infuriating. We made light of it and laughed about it over the course of our stay, but it was downright offensive. I felt like I was regarded as property. I do expect to at least be treated like I'm equal to my significant other when we're paying such an exorbitant amount for a resort that can't even seem to keep their bar staffed.
The only reason that this is getting two stars rather than one is because the room was beautiful and clean, the location was lovely, and the staff, other than the concierge, was kind.

Date of stay: February 2018