Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews drive fireplace pass sani lodge rondavel adventure bedding vibe ice
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 August 2021

Do not expect too much for the fortune you pay for this experience. From the initial reservation to the actual checking in, dinner and breakfast, were extremely disappointing. Unfortunately they know how special this place is, and they actually do not care whether you come back or not. Was our second visit, and I cannot stress the lack of service, the inefficiency of staff and the absolute "don't care" attitude we experienced, enough! We struggled for 45 minutes to get the shower to work - reported it 3 times. No attention was given to our special requests as it was my husband's birthday. They guaranteed us the International rugby game of the Boks would be on TV, in the end they could not even arrange that as they were on a limited package. With about 20 disappointed guests who wanted to view the game, I insisted! After my immense tantrum, they paid to get it upgraded - which was only activated AFTER the game. Absolutely pathetic! Breakfast ... well, we eat better at home ... very limited! The special treat we experienced the first time around, just wasn't there! I will definately NOT recommend this venue.

Room tip: Don't sleep there!
Date of stay: August 2021
Reviewed 4 July 2021

200+ € euro a night is absolutely no sense. The lodge has old and dusty furniture, no where is heated and bathroom was scary! Being a high mountain lodge, I expected a cosy and warm room. On the contrary was cold and unwelcoming, the fire place in the room helps to heat up till you fall asleep and freeze to death for the rest of the night. That night the wind blowed like crazy and windows are so old that I could feel the drafts on my face all night.
They clearly take advantage from the fact that you'd stay only 1 night and have no other options. I suggest to cross the border and sleep somewhere else.
Food was fine.

Date of stay: July 2021
Sani Mountain Escape, Owner at Sani Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2021

Hi there 442MicheleS,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment during your stay.

As an eco-lodge, we are a self-sufficient business and as such, our offering takes into account the effort it takes to get amenities and supplies to the lodge.
We are aware that our unique position comes with challenges - the weather being one of them - but we always endeavour to make our guests' experience pleasant and memorable even when such elements are out of our control.
We do offer all our guests fireplace heating services (at no extra cost) in the morning and at night as temperatures are often the lowest during these times, though gusts often decline the morning service as they do not want to be disturbed and you had also declined this offer. In addition, we also provide hot water bottles in the turn-down service as a warm and cosy comfort.
Lastly, there is a notable discrepancy in the rate that you mentioned. It is €97 (the rate you paid) for a single person per night and not €200 as you had claimed.

As always, we appreciate your feedback,

Kind regards,
The Sani Mountain Escape Team

Reviewed 2 April 2021

I made a reservation for March 2020. First hard Lockdown came along and the lodge closed.

They refused to refund my deposit, due to their 'strict cancelation policy'.

I rescheduled again for March 2021,but once again the lodge was closed and refused to pay back the deposit.

Sani Mountain Lodge is the first and only establishment who refused to refund a deposit since Covid-19 hit.

In my opinion Covid-19 should be regarded as an exception to the rule.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank FKCJ1234
Sani Mountain Lodge, Owner at Sani Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2021

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction.

Please note that it is regular industry practice to request that a booking preferably be rescheduled instead of cancelled under these circumstances, failing which, we then consider resolving each booking on a case by case basis.

You're welcome to contact our reservations office at res@sanimountain.co.za for this consideration.

Kind regards,

Sani Mnt. Lodge Team

Reviewed 3 January 2021 via mobile

We spent the 1st of January 2021 at Sani Mountain lodge having driven up the pass that morning. Welcoming staff, lovely warm bar ~ despite it being mid summer it was cold at the top of the pass. Food was excellent, great pizzas for lunch, good three course dinner and breakfast the next day. Our room was warm (had its own fireplace that the staff lit just after 17:00) with good bedding. Plenty of hot water for the shower as well.

The lodge were also very helpful in answering all my questions I sent via their Facebook page prior to our arrival.

I can highly recommended spending the night at the top of the pass at Sani mountain lodge. Gives you a good break from the driving and an opportunity to relax over a few drinks before descending the next morning.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2020

Our experience was just lunch at the Sani Mountain Lodge restaurant, the highest pub in Africa. The overall atmosphere was surreal with some of the villagers dressed up in woolen blankets and hoods leaving just their eyes visible standing in the overlooking hills across from the restaurant. I was impressed by the inner architectural features (with "galeries") and the decoration of the space, not to mention the food, which was very good (in our case ordered in advance for the group).

Date of stay: January 2020