All reviews highest pub in africa the pub hot water bottles day trip bucket list great experience mountain lodge border post amazing location warm clothes warm welcome drive fireplace pass world sani views
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 February 2020

Easy to access by Lesotho side. It’s a tar road, one hour from the last city. Very peaceful place and quite. Very good place to hiking. Food and team have been excellent ! Nature that’s all what you need !

Date of stay: February 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

I had seen the Sani Pass first on Top gear( BBC) and said I must visit this place.
Well I’m glad we did all they from England.
We drove from Maseru Lesotho to the Pass. Fantastic drive so much to take in. We arrived on a wet evening and just chilled in the bar with good music playing and lovely staff members.
Unfortunately our room couldn’t have the fire place because the chimney was broken, this was very disappointing.
However the Gas fire was better than nothing, I did have concerns about the gas fumes in the room.
Just to top it of the WiFi would only work in the bar not the room we payed for.
Because it was raining so much we couldn’t really do much apart from sit in the bar and chat to other guests that was nice.
We had a lovely menu and the food was well received with good service by all guests.
In the early hours I got up and went for a look, happily the rain had stopped and I could see a lot of what I came to see.
Finished of with a lovely breakfast and scones that reminded me of my Grandmother.
I would visit again but I would stay over night.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2020

Under new management. Only 5 of the old bungalows available, with the real sani feel of old. No more thatch. Some further accommodation close to the bungalows. Rooms very nicely upgraded and bathrooms as well. Extractors in all bungalows now with all new piping. Lovely turn down service and chocolates in the evening with fire lit. The food was outstanding and general service very good with a charming Lerato at reception who was very helpful. Sadly no more initials , signatures and messages on walls and barrels and all looking quite sophisticated. Even though it has lost its old charm, the new charm is very engaging, a real 5 seasons in a day as always. Lovely walks at the top in front of the hotel. The pass was really rough after rain, and roadworks making progress to the border on the SA side. Tarred now till a few km from the SA border post. A great weekend away, even though on the SA rand quite costly, but the great breakfast and dinner made it well worth while. New manager Leon and his wife a really lovely couple and well versed in true hospitality.
Booking process was simple and efficient.

Room tip: The old Bungalows are our favorite. The new accommodation just not the same charm for us personally.
1  Thank karin_marwick
Reviewed 17 February 2020

We didn't stay at the lodge but had lunch there, which was ok.
This review is about the drive to get there - unbelievable!
The so called road was essentially a river bed and a true switchback with huge drops on one side and shear cliffs on the other. 4x4 only although there was one idiot in a rear wheel drive that got stuck up and down.
Well worth the bumps for the scenery and wild life.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank anth0nygriffiths
Reviewed 12 February 2020 via mobile

+Beautiful view
+good food (if buffet, a la carte is cheap)

-Staff woke me up at 7 am to clean the room
-the guy who fill up the heating entered our room without knocking
-they charged me in advance 1100 Zar for a horse ride (official price at the reception 550ZAR) The lunch packet was terrible but costed 300 Zar
-Almost all staff members are unfriendly and they show you that you are disturbing them
-room was very cold, even when they light the fire
-store was always closed

I compare to the next lodge (masoba-soba lodge) which is almost as good as the sani mountain lodge. They charge only ⅓ for the room

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank guest88277
SaniMountainLodge, Public Relations Manager at Sani Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us.
These will be brought to the attention of management to action and rectify.

Thank you for the feedback.

Kind regards,