Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$79
eDreamsUS$79
Agoda.comUS$79
TripadvisorUS$79
All reviews half pipe great surf surf trip magnific rock surf spots overlooking the ocean philip surfing hammocks nicaragua wave locals yoga dorm solo
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 April 2021

We stayed a week at Buena Onda during the Semana Santa and loved the place. The Resort offers a lot of space, the room was clean and comfortable and there are a lot of hammocks, perfect to relax after a surf session. The food was amazing and we loved the beachfront restaurant overlooking the ocean. An awesome experience.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 10 April 2021 via mobile

What a great experience! I went with my wife and daughter and had a fantastic time. Buena Onda has seemingly thought of everything; everything we needed was readily available. The staff were all friendly, the food was great, the beach setting itself was stunning, and it wasn't overcrowded. I can't wait to come back and do it again!

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2020

From the hotel, to the beach restaurant, to the swimming pool and to the quality surf just in front, I strongly recommend you to visit Buena Onda while you're in Popoyo.
Cheers to the two nice French ladies who welcomed me and my son so warmly when we arrived and thanks to all hotel staff.

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank 604benoitp
Reviewed 19 February 2020 via mobile

Spend two glorious days at this small hotel. A couple of suggestions:
1. Need to open a bar next to the Pool. Had to walk 50 meters for a beer!!!
2. Improve the water system to bathroom is salty.!!! No recommend for human consumption
3. Improve menu at the beach restaurant is limited
4. Better signage to get to hotel from Ochomogo Bridge or Panamerican Highway
5. Lots of mosquitoes. Bring lots of repellent

Let me Congratulate you on your great staff!!! The best in the Tola area. I’ve stayed in many hotels and I’m sure what I’m saying.

Date of stay: February 2020
2  Thank BUZONICA2013
Reviewed 14 February 2020

9 years ago, March 2011, I stayed at the wonderful Buena Onda resort for a few weeks during summer break in college. Philip and his wife lived on the property. There were 5 rooms, a dorm of hostel-like beds (in which I stayed) and 2 new, posh, villas that were just built.

I loved the experience so much that I swore I'd be back. 9 years later, in February 2020, I'm back with my new wife on our honeymoon.

This time, we upgraded our stay from the hostel to the absolutely incredible hilltop villa, "Las Palmas." Incredible is an understatement. This place is huge. It has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a master with 250 degree windowed views, a bath tub, walk-in shower, giant family room, well-equipped kitchen and infinity pool!

The views are absolutely world-class. Panoramic views of the beautiful Nicaraguan coast. An equivalent house in California would run over $1000 a night, easy.

The property, about a half mile from the Buena Onda resort, boasts 4 other large villas. There is a security guard that is stationed at the bottom of the mountain and patrols the property after dark. And boy does the mountain get dark. The sky is lit up with stars due to no light leaking from the surrounding area. The stars are incredible.

With a car, you're about 15 minutes drive to Magnific Rock, and another 10 minute walk to Popoyo. With a 4x4 during the dry season (capable of crossing the river bed), you're 5 minutes to Magnific Rock.

It was tough to make it up the mountain in our car. I'd recommend a 4x4. We almost had to leave the car at the bottom of the hill and drag our suitcases up.

The Buena Onda Resort has undergone some wonderful improvements since I last visted. There's a Yoga deck with classes on Wednesday and Friday. There's a new restaurant, closer to the beach.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Philip and his wife this time around. I would have loved to have had the chance to catch up and see what other improvements they have in store for this wonderful property.

I HIGHLY recommend Buena Onda.

Room tip: Hilltop villas are absolutely incredible and worth every penny.
Date of stay: February 2020