All reviews coal fire finger sandwiches full english stayed two nights following morning an evening meal scones night stay wedding reception tea and coffee sofa runcorn ensuite heating liverpool
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Advised over 20 friends and family about this hotel due to its location close to a family function. Without fail, every one of them were disappointed, 2 x families were told they had no knowledge of their reservation and had to find alternative accommodation at very short notice.
The reception staff showed no concern whatsoever. Dreadful service.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a night after an unexpected two to Widnes.

First impressions were good, guess you could call the place quaint, parking is a pain round the back especially if you are in a bigger 4x4, parking out front it's ok until you are shed if your can move it because the market sets up early on a Thursday morning. Never ate here so cannot review the food, the beer was well kept and flowed well. BEWARE if you are over 6 foot mind the door from the bar into the lobby it's low and can cause a series headache I can tell you that from personal experience.

The staff were lovely and attentive, the rooms were clean and similar not luxurious were more than functional for a nights sleep and a shower.

Breakfast was spot on

Should I go back to the area i will book here again

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2018

We stayed despite our disappointment the first time we booked earlier this year, only to find on arrival that there was no room available for us..so this time we booked directly with the hotel and rang and checked to confirm our booking, so we were relieved to find that we had a room this time. However other people attending the same party as ourselves had the same earlier experience as us... no room on arrival!. So despite its convenience for visiting friends in the town, we wouldn’t stay again, can’t bear the stress of being insecure about having a room. As for the hotel.. Dreary and old fashioned in style and yes I love old characterful hotels, but this reminded me of a shabby 1960s style country cottage. It reminded me of some nursing homes I’ve visited..we were in the annexe. On entry the carpet in the hall and going up the stairs was filthy and very worn.. with a hole in it. The room was basic but appeared clean and the bed was clean and comfortable. There was only one bedside table with a large leather chair on the other side on which I had to precariously rest by bottle of water overnight. The TV remote didn’t work. There was no fridge but a locked door to what was presumably to hold a fridge. A wardrobe/ cupboard rail that was too high for me to reach to get the hangers from.. spare pillows on the floor of the cupboard without plastic covering so before using I had to inspect for spiders! As the bottom of the cupboard / wardrobe was none to clean! Breakfast was very poor. I had to ask for butter and when I asked for more coffee ( which was nice) it was brought without more milk and as there was no hovering waitresses, they appeared to serve people then disappear as quickly as they could... I think they were hiding from the guests! I gave up trying to get more milk and left the coffee.. The full English cooked to order breakfast was very poor... over cooked egg. Cold tough bacon. Industrial sausages, watery tasteless mushrooms cold toast.. Would I stay again... No,Not ever, unless it had a complete overhaul and had staff trained to be welcoming and friendly and efficient. When we left the man on reception who had the charisma of a dead dog.. said nothing. No “I hope you have enjoyed your stay”( perhaps he realised that we hadn’t) Or “have a good journey home” or “Goodbye” What a shame. The hotel is in an excellent position and was full..- it was a Saturday( 29th September). so perhaps they are ticking over, I wonder what their occupancy rates are during the week....

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SPL186380
Reviewed 30 September 2018

We came for an over night stay a couple and a dog and two singles . We where very pleased with our rooms they where very clean and comfortable with everything we needed for a very pleasant stay . The staff where very friendly and the breakfast was very nicely presented and served . Very dog friendly as well .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

This place has a very tired feel about it. A crack in the window glass and windows that will not close properly is very poor. It will be very drafty in Winter time.
There is no real parking available. We parked about 150 metres away on the main road.
The food served in the restaurant was poor. Small portions and not much imagination, the bar seemed under stocked.
Breakfast was just about ok. But poached eggs had a strong taste of vinegar, obviously too much had been put into the pan making them inedible.
Summing up, overpriced, tired, old fashioned, and below average food. Look elsewhere if staying in this area

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple