“Perfect antidote to winter!”
other travellers have booked this property
Imagine eating gourmet meals here! Comfy Seating High in the Treetops
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Stay at Casa Mihale in Beautiful San Agustinillo
Imagine eating gourmet meals here!
Comfy Seating High in the Treetops
Indigenous Handcrafted Doors reveal Front Bedroom
Queen Bed Top Euro Pillow Top and Hear the Waves Crashing
Custom windows afford full sea breezes
Fully equipped kitchen with gas range
Create Gourmet meals while enjoying the Ocean Views
All the appliances and utensils of home
Hallway to 2nd Bedroom and Bathroom
2nd Queen Euro Pillow Top with 'Silent' Air Conditioning
Beautifully designed Eco Friendly Bathroom
Palapa Roof for more light and eco-flush toilet
Rain head Shower with solar heat
Sweeping Ocean Views from Living, Dining, Kitchen and Bedroom
Designated Parking and Driveway for your vehicle
Casa Mihale is calling!  This will be your best vacation yet!
Take a Whale & Dolphin spotting, snorkelling or Sport Fishing Trip
Golden beaches surround San Agustinillo where the only footprints are yours.
Perfect day in Paradise
Amazing sunsets over the Pacific
Casa Mihale and your dream vacation is calling!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Sarah1255
Thetford Center, Vermont
“Perfect antidote to winter!”
Reviewed 22 March 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

Casa Mihale was just what we hoped it would be…a complete break from the cold and dark of a New England winter. The sunshine and warmth, and the softness of the sea air quickly enveloped us. The unexpected delight for us, however, was to have the Casa set amongst village houses. This gave us endless contentment to be able to see the kids, cats, dogs, chickens, (and a rabbit), parents, uncles, aunts and abuelita herself…playing, cooking gardening and washing in the yards around us. And the family below us, Beto, Chema, Ari and Arad welcomed us with open arms, going out of their way to make sure our every need was met. (We found their relaxed and gentle charm a true trait of the Oaxacan people wherever we went.)
The ocean (and some great fishing with Beto) took me back to my childhood growing up on the Dolphin Coast of KwaZulu/Natal in South Africa. But unlike what has happened in South Africa, this coastal area is largely unspoilt, and being kept that way through the eco-diligence of the locals.
The open-air design of the Casa is perfect for the setting. We spent a lot of time just gazing out to sea – often spotting whales and schools of dolphins. And, if you like to cook like I do, the kitchen setup is well thought out and supplied by Leigh. (Though, if I had my druthers, I’d want a native, wood-fired, clay comal!) And the fresh fish and fruit! Aaah, the fruit…oranges, bananas, paw paws, mangoes, guavas, and pineapples all with perfumed flavors that you just don’t find in the temperate climes.
So, hats off to Leigh Morrow for all the work she did beforehand to help us understand the place we were going to. Her joy for the San Agustinillo is contagious. And, we got to see why.
Thank you.

Barry and Sarah Clarke, East Thetford, Vermont, USA

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Sukey L
Portland, Oregon
“The most memorable vacation ever, truly the best way to stop time for a little while and capture the moment”
Reviewed 7 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014
person found this review helpful

Myself and my husband, and two children (7, 9) stayed at Casa Mihale and had a totally different life for a little while--13 days that felt like a lifetime. Escaping our rainy daily grind in pleasant Portland, OR, I sought a travel experience for my family that would be comfortable and yet a bit challenging. After 11 years, I returned to San Augustinillo with my family and we truly got to know it well. Went to sleep and woke up with sounds of the ocean, village, roosters and other wildlife. Went to beach daily and played in the waves, especially glorious in the evening, when the threat of sunburn was gone and Pina Coladas beckoned from the cafes that lined the beach. Our downstairs neighbors (Beto and Chema) were very helpful and we went on a fun boat trip seeing dolphins, whales and turtles with Beto's company.

My only tips are to bring lots of pesos (ATMs are unreliable and VISA is not accepted many places). Bring mosquito repellent (my kids looked like they had chicken pox when we left). And seriously learn some Spanish--there is not a lot of English speakers here, and it would have been very hard if I did not speak some Spanish.

In all we had a very remarkable, unique and relaxing vacation. Casa Mihale is beautiful and Leigh is quick to respond and very helpful! I really hope to come back.

Sukey

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view of the ocean from our living room. My kids loved the hammock.
Liked least: Mosquitoes, dogs barking
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Hailey L
“San Agustinillo and Casa Mihale is Paradise Found!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 for a stay in March 2014

After returning from a three week holiday in San Agustinillo it did not take long to miss the warm Pacific Ocean and the golden coastline that lies right outside the doors to Casa Mihale.
The ocean is deliciously warm for our trip and as a senior I loved bobbing in the Bay or sitting in the calm tidal pools and letting the waves lap at my feet. Casa Mihale provided the ideal vacation experience. It is a quick 45 min drive (or less) from the International Airport of Huatulco. I caught a direct flight from my hometown in Canada. Casa Mihale is well appointed, using indigenous materials and a wonderful open plan that affords perfect sea vistas and allows refreshing breezes throughout the home. It is such a treat to enjoy morning coffee in one of the sitting areas listening to the calls of the tropical birds perched in the neighboring treetops. The kitchen has everything necessary for preparing gourmet meals, the solar heated shower is a delight after an afternoon in the salty sea, comfy reading chairs for afternoon relaxation, and my favorite was the hammock for a quiet snooze. At night, the option of air conditioning was welcomed, and the deluxe Queen bed provide a deep sound sleep. I took a snorkeling eco- boat trip with Captain Beto and was thrilled with the experience as the surf pounded against the boat bottom as we sped towards San Agustin Bay a favorite snorkeling spot where manta rays and schools of brightly colored fish feed on the abundant coral. The village of San Agustinillo is perfectly suited for seniors, safe and friendly, walking distance to Mazunte, and providing all the scenic beauty one can absorb!
I highly recommend a visit to this relatively secret spot on the pristine Oaxacan Coast before it gets discovered. It truly is Paradise Found!

Liked best: the weather!
Liked least: going home!
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 65+
Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
57Crystal
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Experience the heart of a Mexican Village and the Wonders of Nature”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

If you're looking for the true Mexican experience, Casa Mihale is for you. This gem, nestled within family homes, is perfectly designed to provide all of the comforts of an eco-friendly home, with the true experience of village life. The pictures here are great, but the experience is so much better.

My "home" for a week in September 2013, the Casa is so clean, well-appointed and comfortable, I found it hard to leave it for the daily adventures offered. The Casa's open vistas onto the ocean and the village, allowed me at all times to feel the ocean breezes and hear the sound of the waves, while village life went on quietly below. In the morning, I bought the freshest flowers, oranges, and cheese from the passing vendors, while exchanging big smiles and a few words about their wares and what the day offered.

The later morning and afternoon were good times to take that short walk to the beach. It's very clean and the water is warm and inviting, great for body surfing and beach daydreaming. It was easy to walk back to the Casa for a homemade lunch, or to visit a local restaurant. Later afternoon is great for visiting the local shops for fresh produce or crafts. The neighbouring villages, a short walk or bus ride away, are definitely worth exploring.

The evenings in the Casa were magical. We ate in most nights, by candle and starlight. A rest and a read in the indoor hammock readied me for the comfy bed, and being lulled to sleep by the sound of ocean.

One of the best things about the Casa is the downstairs neighbour Beto, and his lovely family. Beto knows the life of the ocean, and how to enjoy it. He took us on a day trip to nearby San Agustin Bay for the best snorkeling ever! It's a small, rustic village with a few homes and palapa-covered restaurants. There's a shallow coral reef right off the beach, where we saw ocean life in abundance, including huge schools of colourful fish and acrobatic manta rays.

Thank you Beto for perhaps the most amazing natural experience of my life-- thousands of Olive Ridley turtles returning to their hatching ground on the beach at Escobilla to lay their eggs. Watching these gentle ocean giants struggle through the waves, climb the beach, dig deep holes, and labour to lay more than 100 eggs each, was a once in a lifetime experience. The beach was a true wonder, with the sun going down, the waves crashing, the mamas labouring and the watchers sometimes squealing with excitement . A late September visit at the Casa may offer up this wonder, or a trip 50 to 60 days later may offer the wonder of the hatching of tens of thousands of baby turtles who will them make a mad dash to the sea. I am coming back to see that!

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014 for a stay in October 2013

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Luxury in the heart of the village. Simple, artistic style/feel.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing