Reviews (8 970)
1 492
3 244
3 213
1 492
All reviews adult pool beer garden las dunas family pool international buffet seafood a la carte restaurants lobby bar family section the bus pizza santa clara ice cream parlour chicken romantico restaurant the grill large resort
154 - 159 of 8 970 reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We were at the Melia Las Duna from March 7 to 14/18. The hotel grounds were great the staff were great asnd amazingly the food was really good. We had one problem and that was our toilet wouldn't flush we went to the customer service several time finally a manager got involved when we onkly had 2 days left of our vacation. They offered us a new room on our lkast night. We upgraded to premium totally not worth it there was nothing extra and the people who just paid regular room rates got a better room then we did. We have been to the Melia hotels numerous times and just loved it I know Cuba is on the poor side but we expected the same upgrade that we get at other Melia Hotels. The coffee in the lobby was fantastic, I would not go back to Cayo Santa Maria or the Melia Las Dunas Hotel again.

Room Tip: none that I know of
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank unhappy5894
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Guest:

First of all many thanks for take your time writing on trip advisor.

We understand you have had a good time, even when your experience has not been exactly as expected. Also we are very happy to know you liked our gardens, the food and the great staff.

We will take into account every detail you are referring us and work very hard in the improvement of all our services.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My wife and i went to melia for the 9th time in december! another great vacation, the staff Teo, Carlos, Nirvareo, Andreiy,Giselle, Lisette to name a few go out of their way to give a smile on your face!
The general manager Laurent always goes out of his way to make your vacation better!
We love everything about resort, hopefully very shortly i can book another vacation to stay for the 10th!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HoustonDuchess6
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Guest:

Wow thank you very much for your 9th visit to Melia Las Dunas, I hope that real soon you will be here for the 10th one!!

Thanks also for mentioning so many staff members; I will let them now that you remember them all.

Thanks Again!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

It is an amazing hotel, one of the best in Cuba, great location, great beaches, goods restaurants and buffet, nice staff, great pools, nice rooms, is everything perfect in this hotel, was my best end of year with my girlfriend...

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jesus R
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Mr. Jesus:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to report your feedback on Trip Advisor about your stay at Melia Las Dunas Hotel.

We are glad to know you consider it was a pleasant stay and thank you very much for letting us know. Such comments are the best award we may receive for our work.

We will be waiting for you in your next visit.

Laurent Laba

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

So we were here March 14-21st.

I was told going to Cuba to remember that you are going for the beaches, sun and people only. I was also told that there is no real 5 stars in Cuba and that a 5 star rating in Cuba was more of a 2 star in Mexico or other parts of the Caribbean. Lastly I was told how bad the food was in Cuba... they were right on all 3 counts!

So, I’ll start with the room. It was clean enough and a 5 pesos tip kept our fridge stocked with 6 beer and 6 colas everyday instead of 2 beer and 2 pop. That was good. It would of been nice if the fridge was working properly but I guess warm beer was better than hot beer.

We were on a ground floor garden view room in building 68. We opened our patio doors to find that it was just the patio tiles leading into some bushes that was littered with garbage. It was ridiculous and shocking to see.

The bathroom was quite worn down. We never had hot water for the 7 days we were there... the water never got any warmer than out Luke warm beer from the broken refrigerator. Housekeeping would forget to give us towels some days. Most of the towels we did receive were badly stained and often thread bare or had holes and loose threads. When we really lucky we had enough toilet paper until the maids came back the following day. It was like wiping yourself with coarse paper towel... not great as we both had vomiting and diarrhea for the last 5 days of our 7 day trip. Thank heavens for the bidet! You also can not flush toilet paper. It has to go in a garbage bucket next to the toilet... not cool for our first romantic get away together...

The food was awful. The bread was stale and often had mould or little visible bugs baked into it. You could toast it to get rid of the staleness but then it would just tear as you spread your frozen butter on it. The best part of breakfast was the mimosas. I tried an omelet the first morning which wasn’t bad but the next morning while I was waiting in line for one, the omelet guy licked his fingers and put them into someone’s food to pick out an egg shell while he was stirring the raw mixture before putting it on the grill, I never ate breakfast the rest of the trip.

For a seafaring nation, you’d think they knew how to cook the mussels and shrimp.. but nope. They just tasted like rank rotting ocean water, like they were not properly cleaned. The would often wipe the dirt off the fume hood while food was being prepared... yuck yuck and more yuck.

We tried three a la carte’s. The first was the international. There was a piano and sax player that made it lovely. Both artists were extremely talented. It made trying to choke down some very over cooked flavourless pork almost worth it... but not when three hours later we were both vomiting with diarrhea. The second a la carte we tried was the Mediterranean. It was not full and yet it took 15 minutes for my date to get his sardines on stale bread for his appy. While eating the last one, a bug slithered out from between the sardine and cheese. Stomach churning. 45 minutes later we were brought our soup. It was barely warm with a weird film floating in it. We left at that point and went to the buffet where we witnessed a waitress set a table by just replacing dirty dishes, she left the unused cutlery on the table and the glasses and jut replaced one fork and the paper napkins. She also was picking at and tasting some of the food that other guests didn’t finish before they left. This was the last night at the buffet. We only ate at the beer garden for the rest of the trip besides at the Italian in our last night. The cheese sticks, calamari and wings at the beer garden was actually pretty good if available! I have to say that the Italian was by far the best place to eat. The appy and calzones pretty tasty. It was a pleasant meal and the service was fantastic.

There is an ice cream parlour. You should bring some plastic spoons with you to Cuba. We were given plastic serrated knives on all 3 occasions we visited as they had no spoons. I saw a child cut their mouth on his first bite. The mom never noticed he was given a knife and not a spoon... not her fault as I did the same thing as I never noticed it was a knife and not a spoon in my cup.

The coffee in the lobby bar was great! I purchased 3 bags of the stuff to bring home. So the lobby bar. Service was good for the most part, nothing great or exceptional. We went to sleep early and were up at 5ish most mornings. We went to the lobby bar for coffees. We found it entertaining and disturbing to watch one staff member come in most mornings and go to the lobby bar where one of the night staff bartenders would discreetly pass her a bottle of juice and a large bottle of water that she would slip under her jacket. It was a strange thing to witness as I was told that theft was not tolerated and carried a hefty sentence if you were caught.

The beach was absolutely amazing. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The sand was white and soft and the water was a crystal clear turquoise that was unbelievable. Best beach of my life.

The lobby bathrooms and the washrooms at the beer garden were disgusting. Most often filled with waste as the water pressure was low or non existent and they wouldn’t flush. I’ve seen cleaner facilities at a bus station. Most bathroom stall doors did not lock. There was hardly any hand soap and the paper towel dispensers were broken as well. All this going on while the cleaning staff were there and just chatting and laughing with each other.

The best thing about our trip was a fishing excursion with a local fisherman in the mangroves. We booked it through our Sunwing rep. It was 230.00 pesos (about 280.00 CDN). It was just a small boat for the fisherman and the two of us. It was my favourite part of the whole vacation.

I think you know when you are done. I was dreaming and actually salivating at the thought of ordering an overpriced airplane meal on the way home. I was in need of an actual hot meal with some flavour.

Oh the adult pool has a lot of broken tiles from the hurricane. I cut my foot in the pool twice on chunks of loose grout and cracked tile.

All in all it wasn’t terrible because I was there with my love and we met great people from all over Canada that we have connected with since we got back.

We spent about $200.00 on tips while we were there.

Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful. After all my complaining, it was not a bad vacation at all minus the food and accommodations... the weather was fantastic, the beach breath taking and the coffee divine.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laurie S
DirectorMLD, General Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Guest:

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Melia Las Dunas for your holiday.

We apologize for all of the inconvenience you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make our hotel a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards,

Meliá Las Dunas

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent resort. The beach is the best. People that work there are like family to us.... love this place and everything about this resort... recommend to everyone ❤️... last 5 years this place is our second home . They work so hard and are making sure that every guests has good time. The food is very delicious in particular lobster and al carte restaurant Isabel and Fernando. I like the Animation team. Nights program is always rich and fun...

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sunce597
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your great review, I am very happy to see that you had such a great vacation with us, I hope I can see you in a near future!!

Best Regards,