All reviews big daddy long walk place to stay national park sunrise tour honeymoon suite location inside the park watch the sunrise dune lodge there is no air conditioning private deck wooden walkway sesriem canyon self drive board walk rocky hill government run
Reviewed 24 July 2017

This is a beautiful, eco-friendly lodge in a fantastic location, with very friendly and helpful staff. We visited in July, in the winter, which is a good time for this lodge in my opinion. The rooms are spacious and very attractive, check-in was quick, friendly and efficient and the meals we had there (breakfast and dinner) were very good.
Also, because you're inside the park gates, you can go to Sossusvlei an hour earlier than everyone else, which is a huge bonus.
In my opinion, it would be way too hot here in the summer. There is no air-conditioning anywhere, and all the rooms face the sun and get warm in the afternoon even in the depths of winter. There's nowhere cool or shady in the rooms, and the restaurant and bar are also hot even in winter. I understand the desire to get back to basics, but I think it would be very uncomfortable here in the summer.
There is no Wi-Fi here, even in the public areas. While (again), I understand the desire to offer an unplugged eco experience, it meant that we couldn't plan our ongoing journey, check on the state of the roads, or send electronic postcards home during our downtime. Personally, I think it should be offered.
However, for a winter trip, this is a fantastic location with great staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suze35
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay at this lodge. Beautiful houses, with relax chairs inside with beautiful view.
Very friendly staff, good food.
When we had flat tire in the early morning when we wanted to go for the sunrise at dune 45 the staff directly helped us to change the tire. Super!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MirandaNederland
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

A good base from which to visit the Sossusvlei because the lodge is found inside the gate. This in turn gives you a nice head start when you want to visit the dunes and Deadvlei in the morning, and keeps you one step ahead of the crowds. The staff prepared a packed breakfast for us so that we could set out at 4:45am. In terms of the cabins, these were very spacious and with a beautiful view. We were in one of the furthest cabins from the reception area, and while it's great that the cabins are well spaced out, it also means that it's a long walk back if you realize you've forgotten something. The breakfast was basic but nice. We didn't have dinner there.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank RucksackT
Reviewed 6 July 2017

The position and peaceful setting of the NWR Sossus Dune Lodge within the boundary of the Nature Reserve is a great advantage for early sunrise and late sunset visits to the Sossus Vlei and surrounds. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. The tented rooms are large and comfortable. The quality of the food served at dinner and breakfast was good. The lodge as a whole is in need of renovations.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank capewalker2017
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We were greeted without as much as a smile..."where's your voucher?" was basically the first words we heard.

We booked the honeymoon chalet for 2 nights...what an aweful decision...I should have read more of the poor and terrible reviews...they are all very accurate.

The staff attitude is the worst problem of all. There was only one champagne glass and no ice in the freezer...when I asked for it at reception... we were told to fetch it at the bar ourselves...I could not believe my ears and asked the 2 ladies present if this was what was expected of me? One of them then "ordered" me with a sigh to wait there while she will fetch the items that THEY forgot to place in the room. Waited for 10min. Carried it back to our room myself. Sorry, but when you pay more than R4000 a night...you expect more.

Went for dinner...after seating ourselves and waiting for 10min without any service or acknowledgement from anyone...I went to the bar myself to order drinks. Walked back to our table with an ice bucket, a bottle of wine and two glases...served ourselves, watching the staff running around with their heads down trying to look busy and avoid customers.

The honeymoon suite has a bed outside on the veranda...it was dirty and full of stains and rat droppings. Aweful. I am not someone who complains easily about things so I am going to stop here even though there is more. It makes me tired and mad to complain too much.

I work in the tourism industry and stay at places all over Southern Africa all the time and I have NEVER ever experienced staff attitude like this before. We were greeted with the words..."do you still owe us any money?"

Book somewhere else. Read and believe the reviews. Over priced tourist trap.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple