US$178
  • Pool
All reviewsgame meatstir frydinner buffetthe grillbuffet stylehalf tentwide varietydesert campair conditioningpark entrancebreakfast basketadventure centerreception areaan oasisporkexcellent foodsituated right
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

All the activities you would wish to do in Sossusvlei start out here. Although we were unable to get rooms here we ended up coming both days that we were in Sossusvlei. They have a nice Cafe Timlin which serves great sandwiches and the Hansa draft beer was excellent after a hot hike. There is a nice swimming pool. Coffee and cookies in the lobby. Also WIfi which is a bit slow anywhere in Namibia. We took the fixed wing as well as the Balloon Ride from here. This would be an ideal location for a visit to the Namib Desert, but book in advance !!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Samosababa,
Thank you for the wonderful rating and review! Happy to hear you enjoyed all the activities we have on offer, the flights over the Namib as well as our bar, pool and reception areas.
Looking forward to welcome you for a stay next time you visit Namibia!

Reviewed 30 July 2017

It is important to note that I am ranking all the hotels we stayed at (7) based upon where these hotels are (e.g., Ranking them on Southern African standards not European or America...so a 4 star hotel in Southern Africa is not necessarily a 4 star hotel in Chicago. I did this to be fair and give my readers proper perspective)..okay on to the review....

We stayed here for two nights on an 18 day trip through Southern Africa. Nice, property sitting on the edge of the Namib desert entrance. It might be one of the closest to the park that I saw. The rooms were well organized, clean and up to USA/Europe standards.

The night we arrived we did a game drive and the hotel and our tour operator surprised us with champagne and light snacks out in the Namib desert...really excellent event!

Pros:

1. Location is excellent - close to park entrance makes the morning drive that much easier;
2. Dinner is outstanding. The made to order grills and stir fry station are great and the best we had in Southern Africa. The buffet that accompanies the grill stations are well stocked with different variety of appetizers, soups, sides, deserts, etc.
3. The rooms are decent. clean, large and well organized (large rooms, NO TVs or phones though).
4. Bathroom is very large and well laid out.
5. Situated right next to a watering hole and we had different animals come up at night and hang out. Very nice.
6. They have a pool (though unheated) that sits right by the watering hole.
7. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Cons:
1. No hot water. We were there for two days and our room had no hot water. We were so busy that I didn't have time to get management to look at it. In fairness, all the other rooms we had experienced no issues so it may have just been our room.
2. WIfi is awful...seriously awful. It is not available in the rooms at all and they said it was available at the bar and reception. I went to the bar and despite repeated attempts I had no success in two days of being able to log on.
3. No TVs or phones in room...I don't personally care as I didn't miss TV at all but some people might so I am letting you know.

All in all, the property is nice, well laid out and in a great location. I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the watering hole
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Alan,
Thank you for the great rating, detailed review and for recommending us! Delighted that you enjoyed the location, outstanding dinners, the rooms, the watering hole with roaming animals as well as the service you received from our staff.
The quality of our wifi is dependent on our phone lines being in such a remote location. Our apologies about the hot water - we could have sorted it our for you if you mentioned something as housekeeping doesn't always use hot water and won't necessarily pick it up.
We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to the Namib!

Reviewed 26 July 2017

What an amazing experience, we had 2 nights at Sossusvlei Lodge and they were exceptional. From the moment we arrived we were looked after to perfection. Our lodge (131) was perfect, it was quiet and looked out over the reserve, there is nothing quite like looking out from your lodge and the only thing you can see ahead of you is open spaces and animals (if you are lucky). The dinners are a particularly special treat, the candelight at all the tables and the level of service are to be experienced. As a vegetarian I was worried about having food to eat but I left each night having eaten far too much delicious food! My partner loves his meat and tried several different varieties and said they were all great.

We did an early morning half day tour out to Sossusvlei itself through the lodge and it was fantastic, I can't recommend it highly enough. We also did a sundowner tour on the lodge property and it was very special to watch the sun set while drinking and eating nibblies prepared for us.

If only everyone could visit Sossusvlei, bot the Lodge and the park, it is a very special place, one I will hold in my heart for the rest of my days.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Kate,
Thanks so much for the excellent rating and review!
We are delighted that you enjoyed the views, roaming animals, the candlelit dinner with a variety for vegetarians as well as the Sossusvlei excursion and the sundowner excursion.
We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Namibia!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We didn`t stay here, we just ate lunch here for the two days we stayed in Sossusvlei. But from what i saw a very well run lodge with great staff and of course beautiful surroundings. I can highly recommend the food at least, the lunch buffet was plentyful, very good selection, and tasted very good! Also, free wi-fi is a plus!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Asgeir,
Thank you for the excellent rating and review of your lunch experience! Glad you enjoyed the great selection at lunch, the tasty food, the wifi and our beautiful surroundings!
We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Sossusvlei!

Reviewed 23 July 2017

We spent 2 nights at Sossusvlei Lodge. The lodge is looking magnificent as I assume it had a recent refurb. The rooms are lovely and looked brand new. The selection of game dishes each evening was a treat for those with an adventurous palate. The lodge is perfectly situated to go and visit the Sesriem Canyon, Sossusvlei etc and all cane be conveniently arranged at the lodge or done on ones own.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Dear Alan,
Thank you for the fantastic rating and review! We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, the recent refurbishment as well as the selection of game dishes at the evening buffet!
We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Namibia!