It is important to note that I am ranking all the hotels we stayed at (7) based upon where these hotels are (e.g., Ranking them on Southern African standards not European or America...so a 4 star hotel in Southern Africa is not necessarily a 4 star hotel in Chicago. I did this to be fair and give my readers proper perspective)..okay on to the review....
We stayed here for two nights on an 18 day trip through Southern Africa. Nice, property sitting on the edge of the Namib desert entrance. It might be one of the closest to the park that I saw. The rooms were well organized, clean and up to USA/Europe standards.
The night we arrived we did a game drive and the hotel and our tour operator surprised us with champagne and light snacks out in the Namib desert...really excellent event!
1. Location is excellent - close to park entrance makes the morning drive that much easier;
2. Dinner is outstanding. The made to order grills and stir fry station are great and the best we had in Southern Africa. The buffet that accompanies the grill stations are well stocked with different variety of appetizers, soups, sides, deserts, etc.
3. The rooms are decent. clean, large and well organized (large rooms, NO TVs or phones though).
4. Bathroom is very large and well laid out.
5. Situated right next to a watering hole and we had different animals come up at night and hang out. Very nice.
6. They have a pool (though unheated) that sits right by the watering hole.
7. Staff were friendly and helpful.
1. No hot water. We were there for two days and our room had no hot water. We were so busy that I didn't have time to get management to look at it. In fairness, all the other rooms we had experienced no issues so it may have just been our room.
2. WIfi is awful...seriously awful. It is not available in the rooms at all and they said it was available at the bar and reception. I went to the bar and despite repeated attempts I had no success in two days of being able to log on.
3. No TVs or phones in room...I don't personally care as I didn't miss TV at all but some people might so I am letting you know.
All in all, the property is nice, well laid out and in a great location. I would recommend this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated at the Entrance Gate to the Namib Naukluft Park, Sossusvlei Lodge offers direct access to the towering red sand dunes, the famous pan of Sossusvlei, the scorched black trees of Dead Vlei and the remarkable depths of the Sesriem Canyon. The 45 individual accommodation units at Sossusvlei Lodge are carefully laid out to perfectly blend in with the magnificent surrounding natural environment. Each luxury unit offers a fully air-conditioned bedroom, en-suite bathroom and a patio to enjoy the views of the roaming wildlife and incredible Desert landscapes. Experience the true art of Hospitality with the thoughtful touch of attentive staff to contribute to a truly memorable experience. Facilities include a sparkling pool, bar, beer garden and an al fresco terrace where one can enjoy exquisite food, award-winning wines and magnificent views of the floodlit waterhole. The Sossusvlei Lodge Adventure Centre provides a range of activities including Guided Excursions, Sun-downer Trips, Hot Air Ballooning, Scenic Flights and much more to explore the area's natural beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sossusvlei Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sossusvlei Hotel Sesriem