Sossusvlei Lodge
Travelocity
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsgame meatstir frydinner buffetthe grillbuffet stylehalf tentwide varietydesert campair conditioningpark entrancebreakfast basketadventure centerreception areaan oasisporkexcellent foodsituated right
Reviewed 22 November 2016

Stayed here recently as part of a tour on the Sholongolo Express - Separate review. Service compared to the train and also similar lodge experience in Kenya requires improvement. No assistance with baggage (always happens in my experience in ZA and Kenya). There are 150 cabin units, however there was always only one bar staff on duty. Bar food is extremely slow (45 minutes for a Caesar salad - fortunately not for me) and I overheard the person asking for olive oil 3 times before it was produced. Unless you eat early at night the light is so dim you can't see what you are eating, and the lighting in the cabins is so dim that you can't read. A co traveller complained and the solution by the lodge was to remove the lampshades. Unable to buy wine by the glass, took the remains of the 1/2 bottle that had been purchased back to the room. The following day when returning to the "serviced room" the glass and bottle were still there. Cabin faced directly west so no shade whatsoever in the afternoon in the area for seating. No chair in the cabin. Had to unplug one of the lights in order to make a cup of tea. Couldn't wait to get back to train.

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are closer to the lodge. Ask for a room that doesn't face west if you want to sit on the verandah in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

Dear Scmitchen,
Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. We would like to point out that we do have a porter service and our porter was ready with the trolley right next to the minivans you and the rest of your group arrived in.
If at any point you did not want to take your own luggage you could have just asked us as we were all present during your check in. We could have quickly arranged our porter to assist you.
We are happy to advise that our Sossusvlei Lodge will be renovated next year and we shall soon have new and improved rooms with much better lighting. On our restaurant terrace we prefer to keep a warm candlelit ambience in order for our guests to enjoy our magnificent star studded skies during dinner.
Our housekeepers are instructed not to remove bottles of wine not completely empty from any guest rooms. They wash the glasses and leave it with the unfinished wine on the table. Next time please place it in the dustbin then we know it is safe to remove.
Best wishes and safe travels,

Reviewed 11 November 2016

I felt my stay at the Sossusvlei Lodge was brought by luck. I was upgraded to this lodge after reserving my stay at the Desert Quiver Camp and I will forever be grateful to Lenize Steenkamp for this wonderful surprise and complimentary dinner - especially on my birthday. I was assigned site #140 and it felt like I was in a dream. Beautiful room with amazing views from the patio overlooking the mountains and oryx. If the hotel wasn't sold out for the next day, I would have easily paid more to stay here again. The adventure office was kind to offer me options for the next day and was happy with the 6+ hour jeep tour of the Park. Our driver Lucas was so friendly and pleasant to hang out with. The buffet dinner was fantastic - so many meats to choose from such as zebra and wildebeest. It was the best dinner I've had in my many visits to Africa. I only wish there was wifi in the rooms but no complains as I was able to get wifi in the reception area which offered free water and coffee all day long. But the one memory I will forever cherish from my stay at the Sossusvlei Lodge is star gazing at 4am. Living in cities you take for granted at how beautiful a place like Namibia really is. I spent 90 minutes just staring at the stars until the sun began to rise. It leaves you speechless.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael A
TaleniAfrica, Manager at Sossusvlei Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Dear Michael,
Thank you for the excellent rating and review! We are delighted that you enjoyed the upgrade, the views fom the units, the guided excursion, the buffet dinner and of course the supurb night sky.
We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Namibia!

Reviewed 9 November 2016

The lodge is located on the plains of the Namib desert. The cabins consist of a composite of a stone build unit containing the hall, the shower/bathroom and toilet and supporting walls for the canvas of the tent. The inside is luxurious and spacious, with air conditioning and adjoining single beds that guarantee a good sleep quality. There is no mini-bar or hairdryer. One socket takes European plugs, no American or Australian. There is an electronic in-room safe. There is a swimming pool (about 3 x 7 m) and pool towels are available at the reception. All meals are served in buffet style and are good. At dinner they offer at least ten different meats of game (among it zebra, hartebeest, warthog, impala, black wildebeest, oryx…). The bar has limited seating (especially in the shadow). Sometimes it gets crowded because people from neighbouring sites (lodges or campsites) that have no meal service come here for restaurant or bar. In general service is good.

Dear Maurits,
Thank you for the wonderful rating! Glad you enjoyed our spacious air-conditioned rooms and the good dinner buffet. We are currently busy with renovations enlarging the bar and pool areas.
We are looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Excellent place to stay in Sesriem just at the entrance of the Park. Clean and spacious rooms with all commodities. Friendly staff. Attention is given to small details which can make the difference. The buffet is various, copious and served outside with a view on the desert. Would stay there again with no hesitation.

Dear Saahfoya,
Thank you for the fantastic rating! Happy to hear you enjoyed the smaal details, the spacious rooms, the buffets as well as the friendly service you received.
Looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Lovely situation, very nice staff and some wild animals to be seen close up. The lunch was lovely and the service good. Looks like a nice hotel as well, but we did not stay overnight only for lunch. .......

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great rating and reviewing your lunch experience Rapfred!
Glad you enjoyed the lovely lunch, friendly service you received as well as the roaming wildlife.
We are looking forward to welcome you back!