Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Reviews (5 808)
5 808 results
2 745
1 625
2 745
1 625
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
3 039 - 3 044 of 5 808 reviews
Reviewed 29 January 2007

i had read the reviews before I left for the melia and went with an open mind. The hotel is rated 5*, please remember this is carribean star ratings, it is more like a UK 3*. When we arrived we got allocated a ground floor room, very clean, not musty but I wanted to be upstairs, was not a problem, the hotel moved us at 4pm the next day. Towels changed daily, sheets once per week, we did strip the bed once and the sheets were changed. if you have a problem speak to customer relations, they will sort it out for you.
the beach is perfect, yes some of the sun loungers are broken, we mentioned it to our rep who spoke to the manager.
The food is good, the stir frys with Angel were lovely, both specilaity restuarants are nice, yes slight smell from the lagoon but we juts changed tables, was not a problem. The italian at lunchtime was fantastic, best tasting pizzas I have had for ages.

Please bear in mind this hotel is miles from anywhere, 1 hour to the nearest town, so if you want to chill out, this is the place for you. If you want to shop, dont go here.

Can I ask that you read the reviews with an open mind, people will always find something to moan about. Just remember the star rating is not UK standards. The melia was definatly a UK 3*.

My only negative comment, the toilets at the pool bar and in the lobby were not cleaned very often, lots of time no toilet paper or hand wipes, and the gents particulary smelt, but thats cause the men didnt flush the urinals!!

Sharon Northampton jan 07

12  Thank shazza0207
Reviewed 28 January 2007

Here are my comments on the Melia Cayo Guillermo. I was there for a week with my boyfriend. We have travelled several times to Cuba, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas. We always pick a 4 stars or higher when choosing a resort.

Beach:
FANTASTIC! The most beautiful beach I have ever been too. It is true that it is narrow but that was just a detail. When there is no wind, the water stands still and it is crystal clear. The sand is white, smooth and soft, no seaweeds too close to the shore (some if you go deeper), no jellyfish, no rocks or anything. Mid-afternoon to late afternoon, the tide goes out and you can walk out in shallow water forever. It was also great for long walks along the beach. Gorgeous! By far the best part of this resort!

Buffet:
No major complaints there either. Knowing that the food is usually pretty blah in Cuba, we were not expecting much so we were pleasantly surprised. My boyfriend is a world-class picky eater and I didn't hear a peep from him all week!! No complaints on the variety or the quality. The bread was the best! And the flamed bananas too. Only negative is that service can sometimes be really slow (i.e. getting our drinks, and long slow lineups for the food that is cooked in front of you)...but this is Cuba.........

Beach grill:
No complaints there either. I had a cheeseburger almost at every lunch and my boyfriend had hotdogs. Everything was very good.

Staff:
No much too say there. It did not impress me but there wasn't anything really negative either. I seemed to remember Cubans being more hospitable in previous trips though...

Room:
That is where it goes downhill. The whole resort is kinda old and decrepit but the rooms are the worst. I would give this room a 3 stars and that is being generous. Very basic room. The only chair in the room was a wicker chair with no cushions, completely useless considering how uncomfortable it was. The beds are really hard (again, I guess you have to expect that in Cuba). The sheets are cheap and the bedspread had stains on it. We got two double beds pushed up together. The bathroom was in serious need of renovation. A bit icky if you ask me. No bugs whatsoever though.

Grounds:
They were okay but the resort is really small so there is really not that much to see. We were at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana the previous year and that was spectacular so this was a bit of a let down. But if you've never been in the Carribean before, you may like it.

Conclusion:
I would not go back there (even thought the beach is to die for) and would not really recommend this hotel unless you are getting an extremely good last minute deal (which we did, thank God!) just because of the grounds and the rooms. There is also not a comfortable chair or seat anywhere. When I got back on the plane, this may sound pathetic, but it was the most comfortable seat I was in all week! ; )

8  Thank Mack2007
Reviewed 25 January 2007

Well i have to write this review simply because I'm annoyed at some of the ratings and reviews this hotel has had. I have travelled to this hotel on 4 occasions and each time there was no faults. I agree its prob not worth the 4* rating its given but hey at least we as travellers have it easy.

The staff at the hotel are fantastic, always talking, sitting with you and making you feel welcome, especially JIMMY!!!. Food was great but does get repetative but who cares. These staff work 16 hrs per day with one day off in ten jus to make you feel welcome, they are very hard working and alot of credit goes to them.

Rooms are good, but who stays n a room other than to sleep and shower, oh and yeah the hot water seems to rationed, so shower early befor dinner, this is only because the hotel are following guidelines set by government!.

Overall if you are expecting 4* or 5* its not, more like 3*-4*, but dont let thatput you off, with cuba being a place sanctioned by the U.S they do the best they can, wonderful people, country!!!! superb.

16  Thank Rawlo83
Reviewed 25 January 2007

If you want to relax and let your soul fly freely...then this is the place for you! This resort was perfecto in every aspect and I can go into great detail, but will try to keep it as concise as possible for you.......

The Resort & Staff
The grounds were covered with beautiful trees, rock & coconut gardens, and lilypad-covered ponds. The pool was well kept and who can complain about the swim-up bar beneath the sunning veranda! The rooms were standard, clean, and bug free (very important!).Our sliding door was crazy-hard to open & close, but we looked at it as a great way to work out while on vacation:) All the staff seemed geniunely happy & friendly and were each very helpful (too bad we don't have that sort of work ethic here)

The Food
The buffets had a really good selection and even though they were open for 4hrs at a time, I never once saw an empty tray! The A La Cartes were really good too (I can't choose which I like best!). One thing I frowned a bit at was that if you're a spicy food lover like me - MAKE SURE YOU PACK YOUR OWN PEPPER SAUCE! I was surprised that all they had was a tame black pepper and tabasco sauce. Let me tell you that I've learned my lesson well!

The Beach
The beach was fantastic! Silky-soft sand (if you dug a bit, you'd find beautiful little shells) clean, blue salt water, and a long wooden pier perfect for walks. Lots of beach chairs and shaded areas (if needed).

Overall, it was a fantastic & relaxing experience, however, I will say that if you're looking for a place to party (singles or couples) or tour about local spots, THIS IS NOT THE DESTINATION FOR YOU! We learned when we arrived, that the Cayos are complete tourist areas with no local amenities. Great for relaxing, but not if you really want to experience the Cuban life. There are excursions ($40 pesos & up) which can give you a small taste of Cuba (we did the Jeep Safari!) or you can always take a 2hrs taxi into the city. A good thing about it being a full-tourist destination, is that you don't have to deal with the persistant haggling you on the beach and kinda making you feel uncomfortable.

Well...........I think you get the idea that this was a fantasic resort so stop reading & book your vacation already!

Adios!

17  Thank Sunshyne77
Reviewed 17 January 2007

Myself and my two friends Laura and Jessie went to Cayo Guilermo for a good time in our last year of high school. I must say we were not disapointed. The resort was beautiful and well kept. Big huge Palm trees with hammocks everywhere. We never had a problem with our room, check-in was a breeze and the cuban's treated us Canadians like gold. However they were not so fond of the english. The beach was beautiful, as well the pool and the Disco was a blast. There is nothing like having a few drinks and a couple of brits teaching you that a smoke is called a "fag" in england. The nightly shows were alright but the funnest stuff always happened after the disco closed and we including our new brittish friends roamed the resort and had fun. I must say there was one night when an old crank got pretty ticked at us for carrying-on outside the second floor balcony. Actually I don't think anybody liked us on our floor, because we were constantly yelling back-in-forth between our room and the brits(rich and joe) two rooms down. The excursions were fun, but not what im crazy over i just like the heat, beach and socialization. Since you are isolated on this island dont expect alot of culture outside the resort. The food was good, not exceptional, but plentiful(I ate my fair share). The swim up bar was beautiful with a waterfall and everything, but u had to wait a little while. It was also easy to aquire a army print ball cap.

Date of stay: April 2006