Danforth Yachting
Travelocity
Gecko Lounge(Cape Maclear)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Pumulani(Lake Malawi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Funky Cichlid(Cape Maclear)
  • Beachfront
All reviewssunset cruiselake malawiperfect endsmall infinity poolwater activitiessafari tourlocal villagelilongwe airportsmall lodgevarious activitiesexcellent kitchenspent nights herecouple of nightsmufasamichellehowardcatamaran
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2015

I was travelling on my own and couldn’t have been made more welcome. Everyone went out of their way (without being too obtrusive) to make sure that I had everything I wanted, could participate in all the water sports or laze in my chair with a cocktail. The snorkelling was great, the round the island sailing exhilarating, if wet, and the sunset cruise sublime – though the bubbly on offer might have contributed to that. Drinking bushman’s balls in the bar –excellent fun (check them out – you have to watch Wazzer pour them!) It was a great way to finish my travels in Africa.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2015

what a surprise!
Me, my wife and daughter had just a recomendation from friends not knowing what to expect.
Simply Fantastic!!!!!
From our lovely hosts, the couple Howard and Michelle, to the magnificent site and landscapes, everything went far beyond our expectations: staff, beach, activities, restaurant, bedrooms...
Will come back soon!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2015

I travel to Malawi every 5-weeks and always find an excuse to leave Lilongwe to stay at Danforth Yachting on Cape Maclear. Howard and Michelle treat everyone like VIPs, but with a laid-back, family feel. Danforth offers everything anyone would want to do on Lake Malawi, including simply relaxing and reading a book while sitting in a lawn chair overlooking the beach and water. On the other hand, if you enjoy action, you can snorkel, ski (or wakeboard), sail, and of course scuba dive at the number one fresh water dive spot in the world. The sunset cruise on Howard's catamaran is not to be missed (sleeps ten!) The meals are wonderful and if you need to depart before breakfast, you'll depart with a takeaway meal. Bottom line, I can't say enough good things about Danforth, my wife and I look forward to returning again and again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2015

My twin boys (of 16) and I enoyed a far-too-short 4 day stay at Danforth Yaughting in July, after a busy 6 days on safari in Zambia. Although a bit of a yomp from the nearest airports (3.5 hours by car from both Lilangwe and Ballantyne) the journey, in a comfortable Merc people carrier driven by the resort driver, went quickly enough, and gave a welcome opportunity to see what most of Malawi is like (you won't rush to leave the resort when you get there - it's far too nice!)
Michelle and Howard are great hosts and we very quickly felt like we were staying with discrete friends, and this vibe extended to the whole place. It's not a huge 'hotel resort' but it's more than spacious enough (there's only 6 spotless rooms I believe), imaculately groomed and the separate eating and bar/water sports area mean you have plenty of space to be by yourself or with new friends as you wish without feeling in any way uncomfortable.
There are some great sports available and the tuition is relaxed and encouraging but professional. And we only managed to do the water-based ones! A pre-breakfast swim in the lake each morning was a real joy, and Howard was even kind enough to give me some pointers on my back-stroke!
Malawi is a poor country and it's a pretty tough life for most of the locals, but they are all very friendly and relaxed. It's enough to put us spolit westeners to shame. Do take the chance to walk into the small town on the doorstep, and perhaps have a drink at the chilled-out backpacker bars, if you can. You don't need to be the adventurous type at all.
The food here is all excellent, with a couple of choices at least for meals.
Well worth visiting. Or returning.....

Room Tip: All good from what I saw
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

We are a family of five that had the absolute pleasure to spend 5 short days with Danforth. From our arrival to our departure, everything was done to perfection. Howard and Michelle are truly outstanding hosts. They get to know each of the guests and love to socialize. The food is excellent and nutritious. It has numerous water sports and with Warren and Schell our kids had an amazing time doing everything they had to offer. The sundowners on the Mustafa yacht were magical. Staff incredibly well trained. Truly a class operation. The only problem was leaving! We asked ourselves why are we leaving? If i could give it a higher ranking i would have.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family