All reviews nice hotel marriott brand platinum member city centre the hotel staff wi fi convenient location public transportation huge shopping mall espanya station mediterranean cruise breakfast room close to the airport taxi ride five minute walk las ramblas business district
Reviewed 28 October 2018

Be very wary, this was a steep learning curve for us, and not something I would want anyone else to experience.

We had small amounts of English money taken from room, the only time we can conclude that it happened was when we were having breakfast as that was the only time we left our handbags in the room. We were only gone from our room for a maximum of half an hour so didn't think anyone would be going in to the rooms.

At first we thought my Mum had mislaid her money as about £60 was missing out of about £130 in her purse. As you don't need English money in Spain she never went in to her purse all holiday as she takes a smaller purse containing her Euro's.

It wasn't until I got home and went to pay the cattery that I realised that £40 out of £100 was missing from my purse which I had zipped away in a compartment that I don't use for storing money.

We believe that they didn't take the full amount at this would have looked too obvious, but took smaller amounts so as not to be noticeable.

There was cleaning staff on our floor who watched us leave our room each morning. We never thought anything of it. You wouldn't as you would expect to see them cleaning the rooms. We have been unable to report it to the Spanish Police as it wasn't until we got back home that it all fell in to place.

I hate to have to put this on here but want people to be wary of leaving valuables and money in your rooms at any time, even if you are just popping down to breakfast. I think many of us do this as we think the rooms are secure while we eat. If we are going out for the day we always either take money with us or put it in the room safe.

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank SarahTravels1977
IgnacioArias, Director General at AC Hotel Som, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Dear reviewer,

Thanks for sharing your experience at the AC Hotel SOM by Marriott.

All our romos have a safe deposit box for valuables, this can help you feel safe and comfortable during your next stay with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

The hotel staff was nice and friendly, however the room had many problems.

The warm water during showering often turned cold every half minute for long seconds. The toilet was leaking when I arrived but the staff quickly fixed it.
I found two roaches during my short stay - killed one, captured the second work with a glass, but it is still a problem.

The breakfast on the other hand was really good and nice in variety.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
IgnacioArias, Director General at AC Hotel Som, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

Dear guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience at the AC SOM by Marriott.

Sorry for the inconveniences you've found during your stay, Above all, the incident with the insects that are an infestation of aphids of the trees that surround the building, and it is up to the municipal services to eliminate them. That´s why the windows have a warning to keep them closed.

On the other hand we are glad you enjoyed our services and the friendlyness of our staff.

Best regads,

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

24 hour room service can be a savior when you travel international frequently, thank you for offering this. No frills, ultra efficient Hotel - close to BCN. Great price for great EU Hotel. No issues with anything - will stay again when traveling through Barcelona.

Date of stay: August 2018
IgnacioArias, Director General at AC Hotel Som, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear guest,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience at the AC SOM by Marriott.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon for your next visit to the splendid city of Barcelona.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Our BA flight was cancelled and we struggled to find accommodation in Barcelona city centre. We were told about this place by a friend and booked a room easily. The staff went above and beyond to be helpful and kind. They told us about the shopping centre and restaurants nearby, all of which we brilliant. Both Gaia and Irene are an absolute credit to the Marriott brand and both my son and I really appreciated just how lovely they both were, so THANK YOU both xx

Room tip: We had a view of the surrounding area.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
IgnacioArias, Director General at AC Hotel Som, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience at the AC SOM by Marriott.

We are gald to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us,..despite coming from the airport for a cancelled flight!.

Also give my most sincere thanks to the friend who recommended us, this is priceless!

Best regrds,

Reviewed 17 August 2018

My son (14) & had stayed 3 nights. I booked it as it wasn't in central Barcelona but was in easy travel distance to everywhere via Metro. I was NOT disappointed. The hotel in less than 5 minutes from Ildefons Certa Metro. We used the metro constantly during our stay - quick, easy to use (download the metro App). The hotel staff were so helpful & friendly. Its less than 5 minutes walk from Gran Via 2 Shopping Mall. We used this to eat - lots of lunch times places for snacks/sandwiches etc. 2 evenings we ate at Restaurante Sottovoce (side of shopping Mall) - great value, fantastic food & great, quick service. The hotel itself is very clean, free tea/coffee in bar area 12-5 pm. 24 hour room service. Breakfast had a great choice of hot & cold choices with excellent service. The mini bar in the room was great as it meant we had a fridge to put our own drinks. The room was lovely & peaceful with air con (it was very hot whilst we were there). If you turn right out of hotel theres a lovely bakery & a couple of shops/bars. All friendly & offer great service. I'm surprised by some of the reviews on here - if you want a hotel in the centre of the city don't choose this. However if you want a place thats easy to get to from airport (metro), is easy to get to/from places, offers fantastic service then DO choose the AC Hotel Som. The tax to pay (at all hotels!) is payable at the end & was less than 3 Euros (adults only). I will stay here again. We loved Barcelona especially watching Barca play plus a tour (separate days) of Camp Nou (again easy on the Metro!). I can also recommend the major tourist attractions but also a visit to the castle & both cable car journeys.

Room tip: We stayed on 6 floor - lovely view overlooking city/mountains in distance.

Dear guest,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience at the AC SOM by Marriott.

Also thanks for your nice words about our services and mainly those about the staff.

You are right, we are not on the city center, but very well connected not only to the main touristic áreas, but also to the airport or the cruising port, in a safe and quiet quarter.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again for your next visit to the splendid city of Barcelona.

kind regards,