“Beautiful Sunset Horseride!”
Review of Sunset Stable

Sunset Stable
Reviewed 19 May 2017

It was one of my most unforgettable moment from my trip to the Gilis. The sunset horsehide. The horses are well kept and easy to manage. As a beginner, I was most afraid of falling of the horse. But all my fears were for naught, the horses and the staff are well trained. It was effortless to control the horse, it was just a matter of time that I felt completely as ease with handling Ranu.

The sunset was beautiful, the ride took approximately an hour. The staff took awesome pictures for us. All in all, a beautiful experience.

All reviews
"guide"
in 9 reviews
"basics"

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed sunset beach horse ride. We were beginners and they made sure we were comfortable. The horses are cared for. Rides are limited to outside of the heat of mid day sun. Ride was a memorable experience, would recommend.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

The two are very different. STUD is the stable I would recommend. The guys who work with their truly love their horses. They care very much and the horses respond very well to them. The horses are well cared for and appear to be content. Gili Eco Trust are closely connected to this place. The horses have a large amount of space to roam outside of their stables and although injuries are common, they live as a herd and therefore demonstrate natural behaviours, biting and kicking as they establish the pecking orders. I have ridden here nearly every day for two weeks and have enjoyed every ride. Myself and my daughter have had the opportunity to observe the horses as a herd, brush them and just hang out with them. It has been a joy and I would recommend anyone to ride here.

2  Thank LinziB70
Reviewed 31 March 2017

I'm an experienced rider and had ridden here last year and although my horse was very headstrong (ride-speak for hard to control!) I enjoyed it and my horse was encouraged by the groom's who she liked to follow. Unfortunately, returning this year, I chose the same horse. It would appear she is not regularly ridden (certainly by visitors) as she was fairly unhappy most of the way, kept trying to turn around and was hard to control. In the end, I had both guides leading her on either side (they were walking and weren't on horseback.) I wonder if this is because they knew the horse would have to be on a lead reign? She was keen to canter on the beach so I let her but she kept trying to get back on the road and I was beginning to lose sensation in my fingers from holding the reigns so tightly! The guides spoke very little English and consequently, could not tell me whether she was regularly ridden or why she was so grumpy that day-perhaps an off day? They tried to get her to go into the sea but she wasn't having any of it and I said I didn't want to force her so I was happy to go back. As soon as we turned around she began pulling hard at the reigns and I was worried she was going to bolt. I thought I'd cut my losses and just walk home. I was paying to ride the horse, not train it, and the last thing I wanted to do was try to control a bolting horse in an area filled with potholes-pretty dangerous! I tried to explain to the guides that this was fairly pointless as she clearly didn't want to be ridden so it was a fairly bad experience for me and the horse but obviously it was difficult as I speak poor Bahasa and they speak limited English. If you are confident on horseback and don't mind a challenge, I would go here although I was fairly put out at having to pay 30UDSD for a 20 minute ride (meant to be an hour but neither of the guides offered to give a partial refund and I didn't ask for one). The horses are in good shape and I'm sure these guys know what they're doing as most islanders are raised around horses. But, and it's a big but, if you are at all nervous or hesitant about riding, I would not choose this place as your starting point. 95% of horses you'll ride are calm and lovely; save your money for one of these for your early experiences before you get more confident.

6  Thank countrymousetravels