“Simply amazing”

Osteria del Borgo
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

This little osteria is not large in size but huge in tasty local dishes. Make a reservation for outside and you get a beautiful view over the Aquaviva hills below. But best of all the dishes. Simple stunning food for small prices. The torteloni, tagliata and ravioli are heavenly. As is the tiramisu! Highly recommend, would ride a bike up the hill for the food! :)

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Jeroen V

Reviewed 1 August 2016

This review has been a long time coming! I'm married to a local from Acquaviva and Gloria, the owner, is a friend of her family. My review will still be fair though! So first things first - Gloria doesn't speak English though she does get by with all sorts of foreigners - and if anything, just let the food of all the talking!

I am actually writing this in English because it would be a pity for a foreigner to visit Acquaviva and not pass by the Osteria del Borgo because all the reviews are in Italian!

I will go back in time to more than 12 years ago to the first time I ate chez Gloria and will tell you my reaction then and now (which has only improved like good wine!)

It was for the first birthday I spent in Italy with my then future wife and her mother decided that I should get a taste of the local cuisine by going to Gloria's. It was September and dinner outside was still available. So Gloria prepared a table for us at the farthest corner so we had some privacy, since there were whole families with kids and all dining outside as well and while we waited for the 'primi' Sara enjoyed some local wine and I took my usual Coca Cola (I don't drink alcohol habitually because I suffer from migraines, though I do enjoy the occasional amaro and other liqueurs). In the meantime, I enjoyed the view that I would come to love (see the attached photo).

The restaurant has a menu, but since the family knows Gloria, the owner, we always go with a la carte and let her decide what we would eat - and we have never in the 12 years I have been eating there, have I been disappointed. Now that's saying something! Gloria prepares these fabulous home-made Italian dishes. For the 'primi', a great selection of 'fritti' - fried and grilled vegetables were served on these hot platters - as in many good restaurants in Italy, these 1st plates are more to wet your appetite - they are not large plates (though if you know Gloria, or you're a return customer, she will give you a more generous portion) - usually one platter can be shared between two people easily, and quite a few came our way. She will ask you if you're going to take the main meal and deserts, so she will bring out enough platters to make you hungrier while not ruining your appetite.
While I usually nearly always take meat for the main course, Sara orders different dishes when we visit. I take the meat because Gloria will travel far and wide to buy the best food, including the meat. So, local produce from farmers she trusts and she will prepare the food the same day. As the years went by I got to see her in action in the kitchen (I just spent the last 6 months living at my in-law's apartment on my own to finish a book I was writing and to get the occasional break I would go to Gloria's for a great chat and see her prepare the food in the kitchen - so I know what I am talking about!) - and only recently I found out why her steak is so mouth watering! - She has a special concoction to keep the meat nice and supple while it gets cooked on lava stone.

One of my favourite meat dishes is the "tagliata" - sliced steak, with thin slices of parmesan cheese and rucola (garden rocket), and instead of crushed pepper, I prefer peproncino. Over the years I have tried many other types of meat, prepared in various ways and every time it is cooked to perfection.

If you speak Italian, at some point Gloria will join you and she will have a thoroughly animated and jovial conversation with you (I have seen these interactions with other customers many times).

Anyway, once the main dishes have been consumed, the desert will follow - I would advice to follow her lead and you will not be disappointed, unless you have reservations on something in particular, which, then, you should let her know. After the ice cream or whatever you get, take some amaro - a digestive liqueur and / or coffee - always prepared with the mocha, of course - no industrial coffee machine. And she will serve you the coffee straight from the mocha, by bringing you the mocha.

The price is also just right. And this is not coming from me but the many return customers that I end up chatting to while visiting Gloria year in year out - most people who have tasted Gloria's food always return for more when they find themselves in Ascoli Piceno. As for me, every time I visit my in-laws, I make it a point to go and have dinner at least once at the Osteria del Borgo.

If you like very good and local food, breath-taking views and a quiet atmosphere in a lovely little village, this restaurant should be on your to-do list!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 5 December 2015

We made an evening visit to Acquaviva Picena and after a stroll and taking in the views of the coastline, we searched for a place to eat. This little place is just behind a church, down some steps and tucked away. Once you enter it is very rustic but welcoming. It was quite busy. We decided to order gnocchi with lamb ragu, ravioli in butter and sage, lamb scottadito, arrosticini (lamb pieces on skewers), potato chips and mixed green salad. Everything was delicious and the gnocchi were served in a frying pan which looked great. We picked a bottle of Rosso Piceno from a nearby winery which was ten years old, so it wasn't at its peak but it was still enjoyable after being decanted and it only cost 5 Euro. The total bill came to 45 Euro, which was one of the best value meals of the entire trip. The lady owner who cooks is also an artist and some of her works are on display in the restaurant. During the day of course there would be great views from their terrace, which is set up with chairs and tables.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed 24 September 2015

We ate here a couple of times, would of been more but wasn't open every day.
It is very basic outside which is a shame because the views are lovely, but dont let that remark put you off, because the food is very very good whatever you order, and all very reasonably priced including the wine. Definitely dont miss out eating here. The waitress is also very nice and very helpful if your italian is not upto scratch. I think this place should be open more especially during the day to take in those views, I think they're missing out on a lot of custom. But maybe it was in close season when we visited was the reason it wasn't open so much

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 1 September 2015

very good self made pasta!
very tasty antipasti!
very good Olive Ascolane (stuffed & fried olives... delicious)
If you visit it in the summer time, ask for a table outside, you will be very pleased to enjoy the view over the rolling hills till the sea!

Date of visit: August 2015