Hotel Areti(Neos Marmaras)
US$196
  • Beachfront
AnnaMaria Apartments(Neos Marmaras)
US$114
Greek House Hotel(Neos Marmaras)(Great Value!)
US$67
  • Restaurant
Ameris Studios & Apartments(Neos Marmaras)(Great Value!)
US$81
Alfa Alfa Studios(Neos Marmaras)
US$74
Agoda.com
Ariadni Blue(Neos Marmaras)
US$143
Priceline
Astri(Neos Marmaras)
US$68
Lagomandra Beach Hotel(Neos Marmaras)
US$744
Porto Carras - Sithonia(Neos Marmaras)
US$457
Otel.com
  • Breakfast included
Reviews (1 995)
1 995 results
1 381
1 381
All reviewsporto carrasnews cafemarina viewgreat resorthorse ridingbeautiful beachguest relationsnorthern greecetennis courtsvip beachsalt watergolf coursehalf boardspecial thanksvisited this hotelbreakfast and dinnersea water
62 - 67 of 1 995 reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Firstly, beware of 5* reviews you read on trip advisor - a lot are bot reviews that are not genuine. I am certainly real and only ever provide my honest review!

So, the review - The good points first - the hotel (s) occupy a lovely spot on the coastline, the grounds are very pleasant and the Marina is great to walk around. The free form pool is large, a separate more conventional pool is just behind it and a third “spa” pool with a swim up bar is also very nice. There are a couple of downsides in as much as there aren’t a lot of sun loungers by the pool areas considering the size of the hotel but there is a lot of space between the loungers, they certainly don’t feel cramped. The pools also suffer from staining around the filter heads which give the impression of not being clean, although I personally witnessed them being cleaned on a daily basis. The beach is nice, water is calm, but it is quite a quick shelving beach into the sea. Also, be aware despite contrary reports that it is not a sandy beach, it is shingle which can make getting in and out of the sea a little difficult. However, you don’t suffer from hot sand on your feet so that is a plus. There are a couple of beach bars close by, a little pricey but not overly so when you consider they are owned by the hotel. The biggest issue I have with the beach though is the segregation - the pictures on the website show wooden beds with very thick cushions, they look very nice. Unfortunately, you can only use them if you have a suite - standard rooms have to use the standard aluminium framed ones with no cushions. Don’t be fooled!

Our room was very nice, we were in a deluxe sea view, I wouldn’t say quite a 5*, certainly the dead grass on the balcony planter was not appealing, the bed was very firm but overall the room was to a good standard.

Now to the bad bits which unfortunately overshadow the good. If you are thinking this hotel is a 5* resort based on the ranking of other hotels around the world, particular in the US, you are going to be very disappointed as we were. It is not anywhere close to being one. The reception staff are untidy, the concierge services simply don’t exist, the in room services are very poor and the eateries within the hotel are poorly and short staffed. Examples are as follows;

* Dinner plate and glasses not cleared from the room the following day.
* Waiting 20 minutes before being asked what we would like to drink/eat in the Cafe yet we still hadn’t been given menu’s
* An email was sent to the hotel 3 months before our visit to explain that it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we would like to book a table at one of the a la Carte restaurants on site. The reply stated that we can book any of the restaurant’s on arrival and the concierge would be happy to help. When arriving at the hotel, we spoke to the concierge as instructed who informed us that we could book a table at the Cafe. Yes, a cafe to celebrate 25 years of marriage! No other help was given. I therefore went to guest services who then informed us that all the restaurants were fully booked for the duration of our stay but we should be able to get into the pizza parlour in the Marina.
*Staff at breakfast are more interested in clearing away tables than to provide service. In the end, we had to go and find our own coffee and were then told that we should sit down and they would be passing around to refill it. They never came. Also, be aware that this is a “family friendly hotel”. There are a lot of children at this resort, which whilst I’m not against (I have 2 of my own albeit they are 20 and 19 now) I do have an issue with kids running around my dinner table in an evening and nearly being mowed down every 2 minutes by then riding scooters in the hotel lobby!

There are a few staff who are very willing to help but clearly the direction from management just isn’t there. I have stayed in many hotels and don’t think I’ve ever come across one that has got it wrong on so many different levels.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I would like to say that my experiance in porto carras was very enthusiastic and the most interesting activity was archery which i learn from tasos the outdoor sport instructor, a very ejucated and helpfull person! I am sure that next year i will come again and i will enjoy in the same activities!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I have been coming to resort hotels in Greece each year in June, for the past 13 years. This has been the worst experience, by far. Sadly, what I have to say has already been said by many other reviewers -- and even though there are replies from the manager, nothing seems to have changed.

My stay was not at all restful, due to the noise. Loud speakers blasting from the beach bars throughout the day, and from one until midnight, despite requests to the manager to turn down the volume. I wanted to sit on the beach and read a book. Couldn't do that without noise blasting from the beach bar. The next morning I walked over to the Sithonia beach [the second of 2 hotels that are part of this "resort"], which was behind the bar's loud speaker. It was indeed quieter -- but the beach chairs were stained with bird droppings, torn, and/or just plain broken (missing the part that props up the back of the chair). Tried a 3rd beach, on the other side of the marina -- it, too, had a loudspeaker at the bar blaring away.

Not only could one not escape the noise anyplace on the beach, by the pools, in the lobby and public areas, and at the outdoor cafe, it was impossible to escape it even in one's room. One of the wonderful things--usually--about that area is that one can often sleep with the door open to the fresh air, rather than running the air conditioner. The weather was cooperative, but the noise levels and management were not. I even asked to change rooms after one night, with no luck. (And one night, the hotel turned on all the porch lights. I'm sure it was beautiful to look at from the pool area, but for those who wanted to sleep, the light was a problem -- no switch could be found in the room anywhere to turn off the lights. And then, suddenly, at around midnight, they were all turned off at once, by a central master switch.)

The second problem is a management and personnel problem, and it exists both behind the reception desk and in the restaurant and cafe. At lunch in the cafe, it took 30 minutes for the small bottle of water I requested to arrive -- and then an additional 15 minutes for my omelette (not a difficult dish to prepare). I had the sense that the omelette had been ready for a while -- it felt like it had been sitting under heat lamps for long enough that it was no longer fresh. Had I not finally got the attention of a waiter and asked him to see what had happened to it, both omelette and I might have sat there for another hour.

At dinner that night, I ordered a bottle of wine. I waited for a while, finished my salads, went to get the main course from the buffet, and had nearly finished that before the server came to check if the wine had come. Later, that same server asked if s/he had already given me the bill for the water I had requested. Such delays were repeated at all the dinners. We gave up on ordering wine; it was hard enough to get water. At one meal I was charged for a bottle of sparkling water; at the next meal there was no charge. (And it's true, as one reviewer wrote, the food didn't vary for a whole week, unlike at other resorts. 90% of the main dishes were pork. And the layout of the dishes defies comprehension -- ice cream next to salad fixings, rather than with the other desserts, soup in the middle of the room, etc., etc.)

In short, the cafe and restaurant are short-staffed and the workers are under-trained. They simply don't know what to do or how to do it, and they are asked to do too much. One could say the same about the reception staff. Most of them didn't know how to do what they needed to do -- were they all just hired? and not trained? Several people asked for help locating a particular room. A staffer came to help -- but that staffer had no idea where it was located. A second staffer was designated to help when we went back, again, to the desk to ask. As he was heading out from behind the desk, I asked him if he knew where it was. No, he answered. Well, we really didn't need another person to go repeat the search we had been doing already for half an hour. Some of the staff were friendly; many more of them were not, a couple even being rude.

I learned toward the end of my stay, from another guest, that staff have not been paid for 6 months. Months!!! If this is the case, it is no wonder they would not be the friendliest of folk. But this does not explain the lack of training, the endless delays in service, and so on -- unless the more veteran staff quit and these were all new workers, who had not been trained. A taxi driver in Saloniki told me this hotel was old and tired; I didn't believe what I was hearing -- until I got there. Faded glory. It may be on its last legs.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

During our short stay we came across so many shortcomings that it could be a long story. To sum it up: poor check in (a receptionist girl failed to submit any info on the hotel and surroundings or give tips on room and included services), shameful breakfast quality and service (it was a big chaotic doughnut house), careless cleaning by housekeeping staff (dirty balcony, dirty cleaning rag left in the room, and those ladies in your corridor never say hi and never smile), beach sun beds are ‘reserved’ with bags, towels, T shirts from 6 am for a whole day despite the fact that hotel’s policy does not allow that. Well, what was positive is our experience with room service - prompt and efficient service, good food presentation and fair quality. Thanks to room service team.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

The cobination of sea and mountains it was an amazing experience for me but it wasnt the only thing which i will remember. After my first time which i tried archery i met the woman of my life and we were joining in all the other sport activities together under the guidence of a honestly responisble and helpfull instructor Tasos. My experience in Porto Carras was certenly unique and is one destination that i would propose to everyone.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family